The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

knock/slapping @ the head, heeeelp please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campos_racing

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 10, 2011
Laredo, Texas
Okay guys so after finally assembling the car after a year, i have a weird knock at the head, but, its only at about 800rpm or so that it does that. I would figure if it were a bent valve etc. the noise would not go away. Though it might be the lifters? If I am at about 3-5k rpm you can hear the cam real loud as if maybe the lifters were not working. Im out of suggestions and searched several threads and videos on youtube but nothing similar. I will try and get a video tomorrow since its my off, but though that somebody might have had this problem. Thanks :D

Balance shaft delete kit!!! Get it then u wont have to deal with timing for the balance shaft. U dont need them. Makes it so much easier :)We just finished doing my friends timing and it had skipped a tooth after we finished so we had to redo it. Such a pain to do. You should change the oil and when you change it check if you have any metal shavings. Take off the oil pan also check in there. Might have spun a rod. Check the rods to see if they have any play and check the crank also. I had that problem also but it was crankwalk on my 7 bolt. Crank moved side to side :'(

I was planning on doing a bs delete, but isnt that a b*tch while the motor is still in?
I was planning on taking out the motor anyways because of that low oil pressure.

Not really the only kind of hard part about it is that you have take out the bearings inside the balance shaft and rotate them so it pluggs up the little holes in there. When you do the balance shaft delete u will have a little higher oil pressure. I took the bearings out with a flat head screwdriver and hit them with a hammer to pop them out. Just be careful when u do it. Doesnt take to long to do. Theres a video on youtube also on how to take them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-1adDayQY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dont put the balance shaft back in there afterwards. They wont do anything anymore. So just leave them out. :)

From what I understand getting the front BS out with the engine can be a pain. But you can do the poor man BSE. Leave the front shaft in place with the gear and all, just do not install the belt.

Then pull the front case, and install the stubby shaft.

You also say the head was built a short time ago. Did you do oil port mod one?

From what I understand getting the front BS out with the engine can be a pain. But you can do the poor man BSE. Leave the front shaft in place with the gear and all, just do not install the belt.

Then pull the front case, and install the stubby shaft.

You also say the head was built a short time ago. Did you do oil port mod one?

It just a stock rebuild, but they reused the valves, valve springs and rockers.

Now I'm thinking this noise must be a valve spring. A friend of mine had a car that did almost the same noise and didnt rev too much. Mine only gets up to about 4k rpm and and doesnt want to go more. I've heard rod bearings go out and they dont sound like this, the noise of a bearing doesnt go away. This noise is only at low rpm as you can hear in the video.

My car made a similar noise when my balance shaft bearing spun! I had very little oil pressure as well!!

How did you verify it was the problem?
My car doesnt go past 4500-5000rpms. So I figured it would be the valve springs, maybe one is broken?

I looked more into it being a balance shaft and it most probably is. My car had a very rough idle and made a knocking noise. Good/bad thing is if it is a spun shaft, there should be a bearing sitting on my oil pan. Sounds pretty easy to check so I will check that out then. Hopefully it didnt cause to much damage to my block or rods.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back