1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Road Race Build John Freund's Time Attack 99 Eclipse GSX

Rating:
5/5,
Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia

Road Race Build 14K  12  371

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    377 whp · 416 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    I have been working with a manufacturer to develop a low cost TPMS system that will send its data via CAN BUS so that it can be logged by any CAN capable datalogger. The only offering I could find for this when I was first interested was in the $2k and up range. I had discovered a much cheaper device years ago and shared it with people (mainly the Race Capture community), but the problem with it was that you couldn't change sensors so if a sensor is lost or bad you're screwed and have to buy a whole new system and set of sensors, which was going to be $250+. I opted to not use it, but another company decided to take what I shared, buy a bunch, and resell it. Sigh. I tabled the project for a while but decided to look into it again recently and now have a prototype that WILL let you change sensors, and it also includes a nice little display. I'll be running it at VIR this upcoming weekend to make sure everything works, but so far so good in the garage. I now have data for my tire pressure, tire temperature, and sensor voltage (to know when their batteries are low and need changing), as well as on-screen alerts flashing when tire pressures are low. There are some revisions necessary and another prototype will be sent to me soon but this test will still verify most of the system is good to go. Expecting to sell these in the low $200 range.

Here's the display, not much to see, but this is the whole brains of the deal.
    20190802_174028.jpg

I took the time to wash the car last weekend in prep for the race. The Red Line tent came in handy as it was very hot.
    20190810_160338.jpg

I also received approval from Tom Dorris of ECMLink to go ahead with selling my "PiLink" datalogging solution for ECMLink ECUs. So while I'm still ironing out details expect that to get released later this year. Main features are that it automatically logs data whenever your car is on and saves to a removable USB drive (that can be remote mounted with an add-on mount) without need to start or stop the logging manually (no corrupted data when just turning off your car either, it handles that). Also will automatically connect to wifi and upload data to Google Drive if you have that. Will possibly add the option of a display for viewing the logs live, and a rearview camera, but I'm still mulling that stuff over. Will likely be made to order so there will be a lead time as I order components for each build, but I may do a initial group buy and let people save some money that way.

jakelandry and turbosax2 like this.
  3. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    So VIR. Everything seemed good going into it, so I was hoping for a good weekend. We changed the rear sway bar end links so the bar shouldn't be quite as stiff, and gave the rear about .2 degree more camber (up to -2.1!), and I left the rear wing maxed out. Ready to leave:
    IMG_0769.jpg

Brought my father along for his first ever track day, putting him in HPDE1 in a rented Porsche Cayman S. Really cool service, though crazy expensive. They had a nice air conditioned facility right on the paddock with refreshments (including beer), and four really nice simulators. Was good as it gave my father time to familiarize himself with the track as well as driving stick again. Admittedly though I don't know how sim racers do it, I cannot drive them worth a damn. i had a hard time just getting a Miata around the course in the sim, let alone a Porsche Cup car.
    20190816_160231.jpg 20190816_154622.jpg

A new friend I met at the Mach V car show, @t.choi.photos on instagram, decided to join us for his first ever visit to the track. He took some nice garage shots that night.
    john_freund-7 (1).jpg

20190820_133504.jpg

The next day I went out for warm-up. Warm-up was interesting. Right away on the turn 1 of the first hot lap I could tell the rear was feeling WAY better than it had at Summit. I was excited! Turn 2, good. Turn 3, good! Turn 4, good! So good that I got excited and in Turn 5... SPINNING. Thanks to cold tires I spun out, did a 180, then reverse 180 and pulled off to the inside of the track. I had to watch the whole group go by as I sat there wait for a spot to pull back onto the track. Tom happened to be right there to catch the spin, yay.
    john_freund-18.jpg john_freund-19.jpg john_freund-20.jpg john_freund-21.jpg john_freund-22.jpg john_freund-23.jpg

A little after that due to being rusty I came in wide left into Turn 10 and then carried too much speed into it and put two off on the outside as I tracked out of the turn. The dirt there though was really carved up and felt like three big divots as the car bounced heavily up and down really hard. This goofed the alignment at least a little as I had to turn left a bit on the long straights to stay straight, but nothing too bad. Also knocked some screws loose with the body work and scraped up the front splitter a tiny bit, along with front corner of the passenger side skirt. Nothing major. While on track though everything felt fine so I kept going.

Did a 2:04 and the car felt good. So I drove a little harder, and did a 2:00.9. Wow. I wasn't fully pushing it and on my slower R7 tires, so that made me really excited. However a lap later the car started sputtering on all right hand turns. I came in.

I thought it was electrical, but couldn't find a smoking gun. Only other thought was something fuel related, so I filled to 100% fuel, optimistically put on the A7 tires, and went out for the first timed session. No luck, still sputtering. No idea what it was and knowing I had no spare fuel parts (socks, pumps), I opted to be done. Really bummed as the fastest time out there (by of course a Corvette) was a 1:59.3 that weekend, and based on how the car felt, and my data afterwards, plus having the brand new set of A7 tires waiting, I think I would have beaten that. Talk's cheap though.

While waiting out the afternoon my good friend Don that runs the track store stopped by. As he did, he got a phone call, said "yeah, I know a car", looked at me and asked "Hey do you want to shoot some video on the track tonight?" I said heck yeah! Well turns out some VidMuze Cinema (apparently they have worked with NBC and Red Bull) was shooting video promo material for a very cool rig that mounts a camera on a boom that spins around on a truck. One guy stopped by to check out the car, liked it, and took me over to the VidMuze guys who were shooting track footage with a drone the size of a car hood. I'm not exaggerating.
    20190817_165738.jpg 20190817_171737.jpg

This is the truck rig they had, this thing was nuts. Oh, both the drone there and the truck had RED cameras, which are insanely expensive and high quaility cameras used in the movie industry. They told me we'd be getting 6k video footage out of this.
    68751640_2161515030615910_6525218859329257472_o.jpg

So I told them I would be going out on track in the last sesssion with my father and they said that's fine, just meet with them afterwards and we'll talk about the shoot. Cool!

So I took my father out in my car in HPDE4 (that's the instructors group for just fun, no racing) despite the sputtering to show him what it's like, and he really enjoyed it. Got a couple laps in then half way down the front straight I lost my throttle pedal. Cable must have snapped! I was able to coast the rest of the straight and around turn 1 and pulled into the inside grass so I didn't impede everyone's session. My father got to see what it's like to watch the whole session go by and then get towed off track. So I'm thinking I'm screwed and will miss the video opportunity because I don't have a spare cable, but my father said just pull into the garage and see if there's anything that can be done. We pull in and look to find it's not the cable that snapped, but the mounting bracket at the intake manifold broke in half and was dangling. Still not great at first glance, but I had the idea of turning it sideways, drilling a hole, and putting a longer bolt in there to temporarily hold it in place. It worked! This was NOT easy to do on a hot engine.
    20190828_140028.jpg

Got over to the VidMuze guys just in time and talked about the shoot. At first I was supposed to be background for some other cars so the track didn't look empty, so I sat about 10 car lengths back. They took some footage of just me though at the end which was unexpected. After we did another bunch of laps with more cars and did some cool passes with the truck. This shot was taken from the truck while we were on track.
    20190820_155240.jpg

They had drones running at various places on the track too! Was so cool to see them moving around as we drove by. Here's some of their teaser footage of the drone work they were doing that weekend, it's so good.

and here's the teaser of some of the footage with me:

VidMuze said I'll get access to the footage and pictures when they're done, which is pretty exciting. Should help with promo material for my existing, but also new sponsors. Can't wait to see it!

Some cool shots by @t.choi.photos waiting between shoots:
    john_freund-3 (1).jpg
    john_freund-4 (1).jpg
    john_freund.jpg
    john_freund-2.jpg

Here's some other track shots Tom took:
    20190820_133252 (1).jpg

john_freund_dad-3.jpg john_freund-11.jpg
    john_freund-10.jpg
    john_freund-13.jpg

Ok so in summary:
    - rear end looseness is fixed
    - new right hand turn sputtering problem
    - Car's a little down on power. Boost is lower on track than dyno by at least two psi. Will just jump it up next time out. Power curve though is fantastic, I'm riding out to 8k rpm which helps me eliminate 5th gear changes and wasted shift time.
    - Probably can lose some angle on the rear wing, will try it next time.
    - New sideview camera system is AWESOME. I can SEE. I really liked it. Also I was told by the VidMuze guys I looked like I was in a simulator with all the bright screens while driving at dusk haha.
    - The new lap timing HUD works! While you can barely see the white numbers for the lap times you CAN see them even in the brightest of light, and at a glance. It was awesome just shifting my eyes slightly to see my 2:00.9 and then keep driving.
    - Stuck piston or brake pad on inside of driver's front. Noticed it during a wheel change the inside pad has like a 15 degree slant to its pad surface. Probably just need to clean the caliper or possibly file the pad backing just a bit. G-LOC is already sending me out new pads plus a new front/rear set for spares, such a great sponsor!
    - Transponder was not really working. Worked fine at Summit and we made no changes. Verified it is getting power and they got a signal from it at least once. Suspect it's a signal strength issue and VIR's pickup is not as sensitive as Summit's, will probably relocate it (we had moved it inside the cabin having it transmit through plastic on the cabin floor).
    - Replace the throttle body cable. I got two new ones already, one as a spare.
    - Front bumper isn't sliding on/off easily anymore. I think something got tweaked with the offroading I did.
    - New TPMS system not working quite right. Data wasn't really updating frequently from the two rear sensors. Need to investigate, but the product just might be crap, who knows.

Car's going back to RRT to help investigate everything and I'm shooting for the October 25-27 VIR Event. Really can't wait as the car was feeling great!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019

talon77 and gsxitement like this.
  4. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    Here's my fastest lap from the weekend:

From the footage I can see:
    - The car is MUCH faster now in lower speed turns than my previous fastest 2:00.1 lap time in 2015. If you run the videos side by side I think the new car is 1.5 seconds faster per lap in low speed turns than before. The car loses the time on the straights due to the boost not being quite right and being down on power (trap speeds show 5-7mph differences).
    - My new brake pressure sensor shows that I let off the brakes a lot when blipping for downshifts. I need to hold steady brake pressure, and so this is lost time as I could brake later.
    - I was braking too early on the back straight as I end up coasting (though I knew this while driving, i was still feeling things out with it being warm-up).
    - I can carry more speed in turn 3 as I still have more room to track out.
    - I can brake later into Oak Tree and carry more speed. Actually this footage doesn't show this, but on a different lap I did this really cool brake/slide that kept so much speed right up until I had to do the sharp right turn onto the back straight. Basically no wasted time braking/coasting, just one solid curved braking zone. High risk, but I think it's free time if I can learn to do it more. Really cool discovering this, it's similar to the technique used at the end of the back straight where we brake uphill and to the left instead of braking in two separate zones.

Seriously, the car feels great. Really can't wait to get it back on track again once this silly sputtering problem is fixed. My current theory is something got knocked loose related to fuel, maybe a fuel pickup, or a pump is starting to fail. I have this worst case theory that maybe the crank is sliding on right turns so that the crank sensor trigger plate is contacting the trigger, but honestly not sure that makes complete sense. Going to open the tanks and look around. If nothing is out of the norm, going to at least service the pickups and replace the fuel pumps anyway based on advice from other racers.

BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  5. slowwhite

slowwhite Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2013
    camden, South Carolina
    Good lord. Just watched you go up the S's at full throttle at 130+mph. That's unreal

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019

Road Race Build 789  17

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 6K  25

425 whp · 354 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    TSiAWD666 likes this.
  6. gsxitement

gsxitement Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    staten island, New York
    So sick!!! Such motivation to keep getting better with my car. I was having a similar fuel issue at lightning, where on right hand corners the car would sputter and sometimes wouldn't go. I'd put the pedal wide open, and nothing, but as soon as the car was straight, it'd go like normal. Haven't really been able to look into it yet since we just moved. Hopefully it's just a pump on it's way out. Had to bump up the fuel pressure at the beginning of the day, which is something that has never needed to be done. Thought the same as you and put just about 3/4 of a tank of fuel in, but still did it. In fact, at Thunderbolt the next day, it had no rhyme or reason. Sometimes on rights, sometimes on lefts. It would do it in one corner one lap, and then not do it in the same corner the next lap. I hope you get your issue sorted. Interested to see what it was.

1K  9

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.930 @ 119.000 · 2G DSM
    TSiAWD666 likes this.
  7. jakelandry

jakelandry Proven Member

Joined Oct 13, 2009
    Minden, Louisiana
    Man those Reds are some gnarly cameras. Sounds like an awesome experience just to be a part of the crew.

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.410 @ 125.490 · 2G DSM
    TSiAWD666 likes this.
  8. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    Wow what a weird coincidence. If I figure it out I'll let you know, and would appreciate it if you did the same.

gsxitement likes this.
  9. gsxitement

gsxitement Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2002
    staten island, New York

Absolutely!

1K  9

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.930 @ 119.000 · 2G DSM
    TSiAWD666 likes this.
  10. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    :applause:

Road Race Build 2K  24

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

472  5

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

366  4

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles
    TSiAWD666 likes this.
  11. Fuchsig

Fuchsig Probationary Member

Joined Jun 19, 2009
    Near of Leipzig, Europe
    Awesome project!

What kind of fuel do you use?

Street Build 118  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Fuchsig

282  0

manual · 2G DSM
  12. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    I use Sunoco 260 GT 100 octane unleaded fuel. E85 isn't readily available and I don't need to ride the ragged edge of performance either being limited in my class on weight and hp. 100 unleaded at race tracks so it's easy to get, and in a pinch I can pick up a 5 gallon can at a nearby Sunoco as well, so it works very well.

13. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    VidMuze Cinema's promo reel was just released. I'm in it in a few places.

Pretty cool to see the finished product! Looking forward to getting the raw footage so I can see about piecing together my own promo reel for sponsors and such, need to work on an ECU sponsor for next year! I know they have more footage of my car as we took quite a bit, and I did at least half a lap with them focusing only on my car.

BLACK'98DSM and gsxitement like this.
  14. BENISON868

BENISON868 Probationary Member

Joined Jun 12, 2009
    Taipei, Asia
    Hello, I support you very much to make the solar eclipse shine on the track.

This is a video of our Taiwan Eclipse Racer, please refer to it!

Everyone will shine the solar eclipse on the track, GOGO ^^

Street Build 247  31

awd · automatic · 2G DSM
  15. FireyIce01

FireyIce01 Proven Member

Joined Mar 17, 2004
    Rancho Cordova, California
    Man, this thread just makes me want to go dive into my garage and start tearing into things... I really enjoy reading all of your updates along the journey!

29  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM

58  1

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Ludachris and TSiAWD666 like this.
  16. Tommy Bailey

Tommy Bailey Probationary Member

Joined Dec 4, 2019
    Odessa, Texas
    Love the racing wing where did you get it?

130  6

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    It's from DHP Composites, but he doesn't generally make them anymore as he's busy with his normal job.

Tommy Bailey likes this.
  18. TSiAWD666

TSiAWD666 Freelancer

Joined Aug 15, 2003
    Herndon, Virginia
    I finally received the rest of the crane footage from VidMuze Cinema back in October. I spent a couple hours goofing around with it to see if I might make a usable promo video I could show to potential sponsors. I threw in lap footage, goofy music (from Gran Turismo), some placeholder pics, and a quick mockup of a logo. I don't really know anything about video editing or graphics design, but would appreciate any input:

Things I would like to do:
    - see if I can stabilize some of the crane footage
    - remove some of the extraneous gauges from the lap footage. Those were really there more to advertise for Autosport Labs and the RaceCapture Pro's capabilities, and they clutter everything I think
    - need better pictures. I'd like a much cooler interior shot that perhaps is video, showing the displays functioning and making sure to include the Heads-Up Display
    - Work on that logo. It's kind of what I think I want with the "JF Racing", but it's a sloppy couple minute creation of mine that could be improved

GSXbooster, gsxitement and BENISON868 like this.
  19. Tommy Bailey

Tommy Bailey Probationary Member

Joined Dec 4, 2019
    Odessa, Texas
    Ok thank you for the information, you have a fine looking racer...

130  6

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  20. RWD4G63

RWD4G63 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2011
    Paw Paw, Michigan
    Wow, just read through this entire thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experiences. There are so many tips and tricks I'm going to apply to my gsx build now. Can't wait to see more.

What oil do you run in the car now? Redline's racing 50WT?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019

Road Race Build 75  3

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM