The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

JMF VS FP Stock Replacement Exhaust Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICM_MikeLago

Supporting VIP
Nov 1, 2012
Silver Springs, Nevada
Hey guys,

I am looking to purchase a new exhaust manifold and have two options in mind. The first being Forced Performance and the second being JM Fabrications. I have googled and searched for a thread that compares the two, but found nothing. The exhaust manifold will be spooling a Evo3 Big 16G for about a month until I purchase a FP HTA DSM86. My questions are...
  • Does one flow better than the other?
  • Why is JMF so much more expensive? Is it just because its tubular and not casted?
  • In your personal opinion, if budget wasn't a concern which would you choose and why?

The FP should do all you need. Have you looked in to DNP dsm flanged manis? Very good looking and well built, buuuut the price is eeehh ya know high LOL.

IMO the only reason to run a tubular manifold is to get the turbo moved significantly and to run a t3 or t4 hotside. With a bolt on unit, the FP manifold is the slickest thing out there IMO. I'd run the FP over any of the other cast options, and over any tubular DSM flanged manifold, regardless of price.

I have a DNP for my 16g evo3 turbo, can't wait to bolt it on.

Also have an FP one sitting in a box waiting to be use on an other project. I found my DNP on Link forum for like 100$ ceramic coated.

IMO the only reason to run a tubular manifold is to get the turbo moved significantly and to run a t3 or t4 hotside. With a bolt on unit, the FP manifold is the slickest thing out there IMO. I'd run the FP over any of the other cast options, and over any tubular DSM flanged manifold, regardless of price.
^^^ Agreed.

Unless you need to move the charger for some reason, stick with the FP cast manifold for a bolt-on charger.

Last edited:
Might give you an edge in the SAT class at shootout though. :p

But for real, The JMF has got to flow better. Do you need it? That's up to you.

The problem is with most people the bolt on housing they're going to use isn't some slick FP35 or whatnot, it'll be some bullseye or pte bolt on that will negate any gains of having the tubular in the first place. I suppose the advantage would be that you could eventually chop off the flange and switch for a t3, just add a gate.

Honestly though, if you're going to spend almost 1k on an exhaust manifold, why are you staying bolt on anyway?

I'll concede that I'm running a T4, but I have a cast manifold myself. If I were to do it all over again I'd probably run an FP manifold with one of their 35r bolt on units and call it a day, save myself a ton of hassle.

You know, I just got done really looking at that JMF manifold again and I gotta say, the transitions of the runners (tubes) going into the "collector" (if you wanna call it that) are not very smooth at all. If you look at it you will see that the runners (tubes) exit the exhaust gases not in a downward flow but to the side of the weak "collector". They are not really pointed in a downward position to utilize a true flowing form of dynamics into the turbine housing.

JMF want's just over $800 for that manifold that CHOKES itself at the DSM style flange. Will the JMF manifold cool quicker than a cast, of course it will. Will the JMF manifold spool the turbo up quicker over the cast FP, maybe.

The point is, the FP Race manifold flows... Period! You cannot beat the price of the FP manifold for what you get. I say, get the FP manifold, have it coated, realize it was a wise decision and feel proud to own a piece of DSM history.

If it weren't for that choked out collector and poor runner angles going into the collector on the JMF I would have bought the piece myself but, I would never pay $800+ for that POS.....it's pretty though!

Thanks for the input guys! The reason I was planning on staying DSM style and not go t3/t4 is because I currently have no complaints with my e3 16g except for the power output limitations. I would like to have the ability to change between my e3 16g and something larger with the ease of bolt on and tuning.

I have a DNP that I ran on my 16g and I am now running on my hx40 with bep housing and I love it. The flow is very nice

I have a DNP that I ran on my 16g and I am now running on my hx40 with bep housing and I love it. The flow is very nice

I have actually started looking into the hx40 bep housing setup and was thinking about grabbing it up. I think the DNP manifold may be the route I go as well because so far I have heard nothing bad about it.

I am doing the same thing bought my DNP mani used from a friend on island. Ran it with my 16g and now am running it with my hx35 and bep housing. Once I need a new mani I will make my own this time thou as I just moved into a nice new machine shop with my friend here on island and we plan to start Fabbing all kinds of parts!! :)

JMF is a quality manifold, but by far the FP Manifold is the best choice IMO for bolt on manifolds. Will flow more than enough for any bolt on turbo you can get, its cast so it takes ALOT for it to crack, (if it will crack), and is sexy IMO.

And the best part, is the price. Forced Performance is always throwing them on sale.

I would also go with the FP is you want to stay bolt on. I like my Shearer t3 mani though. Hasn't cracked yet LOL....

What is wrong with some of you; DNP... are you freakin serious! Those pieces of crap use shit tubing, they CRACK all over the place, runners don't even line with the exhaust ports on the head and, their like $400.....,you guys have got to be kidding.

If you are going to go with a tubular manifold then do it right. If not, the FP is the way to go...trust me.

DO NOT BUY DNP....im warning you guys. Nothing but cracks and rust is what you will end up with......i had one, a long time ago.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back