The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

injen intake system vs K&N FIPK + Hard pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
I was wondering if the injen intake pipe will work with a 16G and apexi power intake?

Also when upgrading to a 16G is it best to get the J pipe or save up and put the money towards a new intercooler with intercooler pipeing? Which FMICs are easy to install on a 16G equiped 2G? Thanks.

blackGSX2g said:
I think a cone filter is a cone filter. As long as its not crappy enough to start falling apart, you will not feel any difference between any 2.
I'm going to agree with this guy. A filter is a filter. Once you go aftermarket they're all about the same.

I would search K&N's site for dyno numbers, sure they probably wont be on a DSM, but hopefully you will see something that is turbocharged, and then you can make a more direct corilation between specific models and gains.

Saying a filter is a filter, is a filter, is sort of like saying that a cat-back is a cat-back is a cat-back.

there are many factors that effect performance.

Is all gas the same?
are all tires with the same speed rating the same?

Seattle GST said:
I would search K&N's site for dyno numbers, sure they probably wont be on a DSM, but hopefully you will see something that is turbocharged, and then you can make a more direct corilation between specific models and gains.

Saying a filter is a filter, is a filter, is sort of like saying that a cat-back is a cat-back is a cat-back.

there are many factors that effect performance.

Is all gas the same?
are all tires with the same speed rating the same?

Show me any noticeable gains from purchasing a $120 K&N over purchasing a generic $10 cone filter of comparable size and I'll agree. The airflow differences between them are so minute that you would not feel the difference at all.

On the K&N FPIK I have it came with dyno numbers saying that a stock 2g made 8 HP gained, or there abouts. I don't know if its true or not I just like K&N as far as filters go and it fits nicely :thumb:

yes. on a K&N FIPK filter there are dynos showing a 7.7hp increase. and one more question. is there a difference when having a heat shield?

Bad95GSX said:
yes. on a K&N FIPK filter there are dynos showing a 7.7hp increase. and one more question. is there a difference when having a heat shield?

Yes in theory if done correctly it should lower intake temps and therefore make more power. How much I do not know, but more in theory.

Check out this link: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156558
That guy is doing some work with dsmlink and a heatshield and seeing a 10 degree drop after consecutive runs.

Edit: Correction it seems like more than 10 degrees!

c5chris said:
K&N FIPKs are smog friendly/CARB excempt, thats the only advantage over other open element filters.

Thats true...I didn't notice he was from Cali

I would just swap to the stock airbox for emissions, but to each their own. Good point.

its not so much the filter as the aerodynamics of the intake...with the k@n fipk your paying the money for the computer designed aerodynamically friendly intake

Masakari said:
its not so much the filter as the aerodynamics of the intake...with the k@n fipk your paying the money for the computer designed aerodynamically friendly intake
If you buy into their marketing. If you're feeding a turbocharger, "aerodynamically friendly" is pretty much a pointless exercise between the turbine and the intercooler.
Other than the smog check thing, eBay instead of K&N. And put the extra hundred into the strut bars and wax.

Defiant said:
If you buy into their marketing. If you're feeding a turbocharger, "aerodynamically friendly" is pretty much a pointless exercise between the turbine and the intercooler.
Other than the smog check thing, eBay instead of K&N. And put the extra hundred into the strut bars and wax.

couldt agree with you more..it is rather pointless to buy a K@N for a forced induction vehicle a 4 dollar piece of stainless and a 8 dollar cone filter would work just as well as an FIPK for a turbo

is it better to have the injen intake setup or the knn fipk with a hard intake pipe? just wondering because im thinking of getting intake soon. i have a 95 gsx. thx

dont even waste the money on the "injen/hard intake pipe" unless you want it for the bling factor. the turbo is fully capible of sucking in all the air it needs, accordian pipe or smooth the air will get there the same way.

get a K&N filter and adapter plate off ebay(50) and a catback exhaust. then any aftermarket BOV(stock one leaks anything past 12psi), then you get a boost gauge, and then a boost controller. IN THAT ORDER. you will have fun.

make your own. It's so simple. Buy a 90* bend. cut it in half and make an S shape. Weld it, and also weld in a small little piece for you BOV to recirculate. Go to lowes and get a coupler to mate it to your turbo and a coupler to mate it to your MAS. Go on ebay, buy the adapter and filter kit for a 2g MAS. There's your intake. Cost you maybe 30-40bux.

Or if you can't do that, save the money and don't buy an Injen. Buy one from a DSM Vendor. There's ton's that sponser this site. Just go to their sites, find the one you like the most, and there you go.

Choose an intake that will work with your future turbo. The injen is designed for the small turbo inlet of a stock turbo and will be too small in the future if you go with something larger. It is good for a bling factor I guess though.

I bought this one for $139 shipped.....<a href = http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16345&cat=476&page=1>Intake</a>
This intake is identical to the Injen, and comes with a better filter IMHO.
I plan on running an EVO III 16g, I don't think that turbo has a larger inlet than a T-25?

I was on ebay looking at the K&N fipk kits. For about $115.00 after shipping.
How good are these, i know K&N is a good company, there are just so many intakes out there, it's hard to filter the quality ones out.

So basically, for about 115 i can get the kit. It does not include a hard pipe though. If i should happen to get this filter, should i also buy a hard pipe?

If this isn't worth it, can someone give me some quality intakes that i can look at.
(i've got a 96 gst)

thanx

I put exactly that on mine, very tight kit, everything fits the first time round,
filter comes off easy enough to clean, seems to work fine, and under boost you get this cool audible sucking sound that i can hear over the highway noise and the stereo,
sounds like a demon under the hood
besides, a little bit of bling never killed anybody

The K&N is a very good choice. A lil expensive, but it is pretty big. A hardpipe would also be a good choice.

Dude just get an ebay one. I picked mine up off ebay for 25$ shipped. Still get the "sucking" sound. I had to file the edges for the metal adapter to fit onto the MAS, but a little bit of filing is better than 115$ for a metal adapter and a filter. You could also just buy a K&N filter to fit the adapter you get. for probably a total of 50$. Look into it.

There's also a guy on a private local chat board I frequent who is building hard intake pipes, (from the turbo to the MAS) and selling them for like 75$. He is still currently working on making one for the 2G. I'll wait for it to save myself ....what like 50-80$?? PM me if your interested I'll get you in contact with him.

I have personally seen two ebay cheapo knock offs come apart on local cars. I wouldn't spend even $20 on them.

K&N kits typically go for about $50 on the trader. I'd go that route.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back