The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

injen intake system vs K&N FIPK + Hard pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
I was wondering if the injen intake pipe will work with a 16G and apexi power intake?

Also when upgrading to a 16G is it best to get the J pipe or save up and put the money towards a new intercooler with intercooler pipeing? Which FMICs are easy to install on a 16G equiped 2G? Thanks.

you have to get a j pipe w/ a 16g. yes, injen pipes work i have one and it is perfect, as for the apexi power intake, i dont know if that goes right on to the stock maf or if it needs an adapter. but it will work no doubt. i have an npr fmic and it was very easy to install, just needed custom piping....

Well to me that looks like a regualr intake with a heat sheild.I dont really get the part about cold air intake.As far as pros, your turbo will spool a lil faster,turbo spooling sound is alot louder.Cons well i dont really have any,besides that the pipe looks plastic.P.S Welcome to the world of DSM!

thanks for the welcome. looks like i've got some learnin to do!

supposedly it gets colder (and thus more dense) air into the system = increased hp.
that theory works in my motorcycles, does it apply here?

The picture on that site is a little misleading. The product they are selling is this:
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-5504-1

I have it on my car. It is simply an open-air filter with hardware to attach it to your MAS. There is no replacement/additional intake hose. So, it's not really a cold-air intake, considering they don't get the air from anywhere different than stock and there's no heat shield.

As for your question about colder (denser) air = more hp, yes that applies to us, too. However, the turbocharger will considerably heat up the air coming from the filter because it compresses the air. Then, the intercooler will attempt to cool it back down. There are some threads around here debating how effective a cold air intake on the turbo engine will be, considering all the things the air goes through.

I've got a $30 metal heat shield around my K&N FIPK. That's about all I'm willing to spend on a cold air mod. A more efficient intercooler is a better place to spend a lot of money when trying to cool the air.

thanks for the info rob, makes sense now.
i just took a look here and here from the newb thread. good stuff. i got some reading to do before i jump in, but i think i'm gonna like it here.
last car i built for any type of performance was a 67 bug, and the rest has been motorcycles.
this is a whole new world, and probably just as addicting!!

i finished the exhaust side of the car now i'm lookin to get an intake..

how much more benefit wouild I get with a hard pipe intake vs the rubber snorkel w/BOV dump tube mod?

basically bling factor aside how "beneficial" is a hard pipe intake?

secondly, they sell K&N filters locally but without the adapter kit, i was thinking of taking it to a local exhaust place and them fabbing up an adapter... how "doable" do u think that is?

They are both overpriced and give the exact same results.

These hard pipes are dyno proven for zero power.

I highly suggest you just get a cone and adapter on ebay for cheap. When push comes to shove, all intake cones are the same damn thing.

Here.

you would have to get very crafty to make an adapter at an exhaust shop. I say it depends on your mods in what you should get. If you plan on going bigger turbo just wait till then and get a hard pipe. If you are SURE you are going to keep the t25 then get the injen.

...WTF are you talking about Car and Driver and Import Tuner have both had 10WHP with an Injen Intake. Why dont you read up on things before you post false information :rolleyes:

Stapl3 said:
They are both overpriced and give the exact same results.

These hard pipes are dyno proven for zero power.

I highly suggest you just get a cone and adapter on ebay for cheap. When push comes to shove, all intake cones are the same damn thing.

Here.

DSMSpyder99 said:
...WTF are you talking about Car and Driver and Import Tuner have both had 10WHP with an Injen Intake. Why dont you read up on things before you post false information :rolleyes:

That power was strictly from the cone and nothing more. The pipe had nothing to do with it, don't be fooled.

I have seen back to back dyno sheets of a stock intake pipe and an Injen one. If you want to see them, search machv or contact Nimble on their boards. It is posted on there somewhere.

DSMSpyder99 said:

It has also been proven that the writers of that review have been given the products for their own cars just so that they would give good a review so dont always trust what magizines say..just some advice

Personally I like my hard intake.. looks real nice in the engine bay and totally changed the sound of my BOV and louder turbo spool.. oh and I already had a cone filter before just changed the pipe itself. As far as performance I am not sure I didnt dyno it. Though.. if you upgrade to a turbo with a larger inlet you have to replace the stock piece anyhow. Maybe just get the filter now and get the hard pipe when you get a bigger turbo? That is unless you like having the engine bay look nice like I do heh.

I think the hard intake pipe is a power maker at some point in the game but when on a T25 or 14B car it is probably a wash. I have seen guys make power by swapping in a hard intake pipe over a piece-a-meal rubber pipes with the metal elbow clamped on. But these are on cars making 300+ whp.

I'd say skip the injen. Chances are that the pipe will become too small for your setup in the future anyway. For the additional cost of the Injen you are getting very little to no performance gain.

ya looks like majority say just filter..

for sure the little snail is gonna go eventually

basically i was lookin for ways to mod the car with stuff that can "carry on"

like i have full exhaust..

i plan on changing the BOV, air box maybe some hard pipes for the FMIC (custom fab not expensive bling) and boost controller.. and make the best of my little snail, learn to launch the car etc and then move up to a bigger better one... so the injen's life would be limited i suppose

truwarrior said:
I was wondering if the injen intake pipe will work with a 16G and apexi power intake?

Also when upgrading to a 16G is it best to get the J pipe or save up and put the money towards a new intercooler with intercooler pipeing? Which FMICs are easy to install on a 16G equiped 2G? Thanks.

I got one for sale if your interested.

Gene

which gives better performance? the K&N FIPK or the K&N Gen II FIPK Intake. does anyone have dynos on them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back