The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

injen intake system vs K&N FIPK + Hard pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
I was wondering if the injen intake pipe will work with a 16G and apexi power intake?

Also when upgrading to a 16G is it best to get the J pipe or save up and put the money towards a new intercooler with intercooler pipeing? Which FMICs are easy to install on a 16G equiped 2G? Thanks.

dsm10sec said:
Some people don't like to skimp and do it right the first time.

How do you skimp on an intake pipe? Mine consists of $30 of Al pipe, $50 airfilter and $15 of couplings and clamps. Feel free to spend $250 on the "right" intake.

Hey man OMG this is aluminized STEEL ... is not good, it's a heavy material and has bad thermal properties (absorbs more heat than aluminum). Go with REAL 6061 ALUMINUM for all pipes... :thumb: there's alot aluminum tubes at ebay... make your own piping.

:cool:

I have that intake. The nipple that goes to your boost solenoid broke off right when I took it out of the packaging (luckily I was installing a MBC at the same time and didn't need it) the clamps and couplings were the wrong sizes and the pipe really necks down at the end. If that tells you anything.

thanks, those are the feedbacks that help, people who have used it. U think the fact that its aluminized makes a difference? Its cold air in not a compressed intercooler pipe

Its anything BUT cold air. Its going to suck in all that heat from the engine bay.

But anyways, the fact that its aluminumized steel doesnt make much a difference. Its an intake pipe. Aluminumized steel isnt all that heavy, (ive used it ALOT, as well as aluminum and SS). The thermal properties really arent going to play much of a role, with something like that.

its a fricken pipe. all it does is take air from the filter to the turbo. you cna almost use any material you want as long as it does the job.

MigTalon said:
REAL 6061 ALUMINUM

As opposed to fake Al?

Make it out of bubble gum, the difference is so insignificant for our application it's not even funny.

Have that guys product, lucked out and got it cheap a while ago ;) fits perfect, junk clamps and couplers had to throw those out, but in the end its a pipe what more to say... it works.

You want a good looking intake? Here is a nice write up.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140778
You can either use it for CAI or just use the nice bend for a regular intake. I got mine for $30 w/ a very stupid filter. The Filter has a screen on the very end. So most all air is going to come through that screen and not the cotton gauze filter. I don't plan to use the provided filter but you could if you just pluged up the screen with some JB-Weld so it actually filters. The couplers are of good quality. The clamps are just worm gear clamps and are ok to use for the intake. Here is mine I just got of Ebay..

Cold Air Intake

i tried installing an injen intake that i bought used and the j pipe coming off the turbo is in the way. is there any way around this? what if i used a 1g j pipe, the stock one that's shorter, will it allow me to use the injen intake?

lupe

houstonECLIPSE said:
i tried installing an injen intake that i bought used and the j pipe coming off the turbo is in the way. is there any way around this? what if i used a 1g j pipe, the stock one that's shorter, will it allow me to use the injen intake?

lupe

mine cleared no problem with a J pipe and injen intake back in my 16g days. For the record though ... the intake does nothing and I sold it for that reason. It just gives the car some bling bling.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back