The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

injen intake system vs K&N FIPK + Hard pipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
I was wondering if the injen intake pipe will work with a 16G and apexi power intake?

Also when upgrading to a 16G is it best to get the J pipe or save up and put the money towards a new intercooler with intercooler pipeing? Which FMICs are easy to install on a 16G equiped 2G? Thanks.

if u vent, ur car will run rich because u will have less air than the car thinks u have from what the mas located at ur air filter told the ecu. The car will stall and sputter and basically run like shit. If u recirculate ur car will run like it should. If u want to vent, just get a gm maf and run a blow though setup.

is there a point of running the blow through set up, other than the louder BOV?

olmytsi said:
This makes ur bov alot louder which is the main reason most people get it. Second reason is increased air flow and the third reason is if u pop an intercooler pipe u can drive home fine without stalling and then fix it.

Do not post unless you have actual knowledge on the subject. Do not post dumbass statements.

The MAFT setup is used primarily as a tuning tool, such as an S-AFC, to compensate for larger injectors. It is not (usually) bought so you can drive the car with no intercooler pipes, or to make the BOV louder.

-------

Syndicate, I don't know where you got the got the "limited potential" thought, but the VPC has went 9's.

i agree with ^. I have one and it was a little rough on the inside, thats my only complaint though... Also expect that your recirculation tube may not fit back like stock. A good buy overall, its a dang pipe, cmon guys!

Coup D E'Tat said:
Syndicate, I don't know where you got the got the "limited potential" thought, but the VPC has went 9's.

The limited potential part stems from it's complicated nature. Most users would never use the thing to it's full potential and for 95% of people on here would be a waste of 900 bucks. For the price you still don't have timing control and weather changes can screw with the settings. The stock MAS isn't that big of a restriction and with the GM mas now being usable on our cars it seems almost a waste. Maybe I should rephrase it to not practical.........

Thanks for all the info. I hope i dont have to heat it up, ive got nothing here to do that. though im shure i could get one...do you guys think that there will be a noticeable improvement to my hp and tq?

When I switched to an open element filter and intake pipe, I *maybe* felt a bit more throttle response...but I doubt you'd feel a whole lot. Once you start doing some heavy mods, you'll have more of a gain from the intake. The biggest difference I noticed was sound...the car sounded alot better and I could actually hear the turbo spooling. :thumb:

chr0n03939 said:
Thanks for all the info. I hope i dont have to heat it up, ive got nothing here to do that. though im shure i could get one...do you guys think that there will be a noticeable improvement to my hp and tq?
did you get the plastic or metal MAF mount?

Coup D E'Tat said:
Do not post unless you have actual knowledge on the subject. Do not post dumbass statements.

The MAFT setup is used primarily as a tuning tool, such as an S-AFC, to compensate for larger injectors. It is not (usually) bought so you can drive the car with no intercooler pipes, or to make the BOV louder.

-------

im sorry but wat i said was true. Its a tuning tool but i think an afc is more of a tuning tool than a maft setup is. Perhaps i stated the 2 last reasons wrong...i should have said they are advantages of having a maft setup. Make a poll and see how many ppl got the maft for tuning vs for the loud bov and ull see that the majority does it to vent and thats a fact. Another reason why ull see that an afc is a better tuning tool is that most ppl with mafts still have an afc in their cars. Sorry if i offended u.

olmytsi said:
im sorry but wat i said was true. Its a tuning tool but i think an afc is more of a tuning tool than a maft setup is. Perhaps i stated the 2 last reasons wrong...i should have said they are advantages of having a maft setup. Make a poll and see how many ppl got the maft for tuning vs for the loud bov and ull see that the majority does it to vent and thats a fact. Another reason why ull see that an afc is a better tuning tool is that most ppl with mafts still have an afc in their cars. Sorry if i offended u.

Rule number 3 when posting - No Guesses - if you don't know, don't reply - don't spread misinformation (no "I think" or "I guess" or "I've heard").

The MAFT is just as good as an AFC, and many people are running it by itself.

Another reason why ull see that an afc is a better tuning tool is that most ppl with mafts still have an afc in their cars.

Please stop. That is the worst reasoning I've ever heard.

I dont know which one i'll be getting, i haven't gotten it. the paypal will take 5 days to clear then hell send it dhl ground so thats 3-5 days. so im hoping by next friday ill get it, until then i won't know.

which do you guys prefer? im thinking about the injen intake system right now.

i just got my injen for x-mas, it sounds great.... it makes the bov sounds real nice. people always ask me what aftermarket BOV i have.

chr0n03939 said:
I just ordered this intake off of ebay, i ended up spending 68.00 total on it. Can someone check it out and tell me if this is alright or if its crap.
Seems to be working just fine on mine. The casting is scary inside -you can see in the picture how rough the inside is, and that the front half is 1/3 thicker than the back, but the motor doesn't care. The outside's shiny enough, despite a few pits and ripples. The welds are scary, but they aren't going anywhere. So for your $150+ savings, a piece under you usually-closed hood isn't as bling-bling. But it'll work the same as the expensive, pretty one.
You may have to stretch the silicone coupler some to get it to fit the MAF, just get it warm in hot water and don't be afraid.

Be sure to save the old parts for smog-check time. Oh, and don't use the replacement vacuum lines. Too garish.

I agree with Dan, it's a pipe. Mine is from the cheapo stuff at Advance auto. 3" polished mandrel type aluminum. I have it set u as a Cold Air intake and all for around $70. + tax. Mark
PS: It's for a '94-'97 *HONDA* Accord!

Agree. I don't skimp on my car at all. The $3500. in tranny/clutch attests to that. Dejon or cheapo parts store pipe are the same quality and even priced equally. If in doubt go with www.dejontool.com. Dave is an honest guy and his pipes are great and he backs his work. If anything I would suspect ebay products. Mark

you arent going to skimp out on an intake pipe. Only time thatll happen is if u get a tiny pipe with a small inlet end for say a 14b and upgrade to something with a t04e cover etc.

You probly wont ever need a larger intake than 3", and u can just swap the coupler on that. So itll be just fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back