The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

How do I get this off of my Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboosted1g

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2010
washington, Michigan
So I'm in the process of rebuilding my pte 5031e and I cannot get the turbine shaft off the bolt is stripped. And is the nut reversed threads?

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 82
The turbine is usually part of the shaft, the compressor wheel comes off and the shaft is pulled out of the housing. The nut holding the compressor wheel on is indeed reverse threaded.

The nut that is on the compressor wheel is what comes off. You know it's reverse threaded so to take it off would be like installing a regular threaded nut.

Use channel locks, a socket, vice grips, or a vice to lock onto the turbine side.

Make sure you scribe the compressor to the lock nut and then to the shaft so you keep it in balance when put back together.

There is a flat spot on the hot side. Using a vice or vice grips you should be able to hold it sufficiently to take the nut off of the compressor wheel.

Hold the end of the turbine with vicegrips, and spin the compressor nut off with an impact. It's very easy to bend the turbine shaft, so be very careful. Also, the turbine isn't stripped, it has been ground to balance it.

Probably ended up being a 12 point socket rather than a 6 point? Good to hear you got it off.

All shafts have that flat spot on the end of the shaft. It is not specifically for balancing, it is there to facilitate removal of the nut that holds the assembly together.

All shafts have that flat spot on the end of the shaft. It is not specifically for balancing, it is there to facilitate removal of the nut that holds the assembly together.
Nope- the grinding is done for balancing purposes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back