The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Horribly Slow RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We can have this thread locked down if it's going to turn in to anothe 420A vs 4g63 battle. It's all BS and only causes drama amongst DSM'ers. Either have a decent debate or go somewhere else.
Doug

I'm not being an a$$ here, I'm trying to learn about the differences. I am unaware of a couple issues that someone stated before my previous post. I am here to learn some things as well as explain things I know to others, being a wiseman you can understand that, we all start somewhere. A couple major things I want to know is the differences for instance off the line for each car and at what rpms boost begins to build and at full boost. I'm interested in turbo's as well as n/a's like mine. I want to know as much as I can to be helpful to others when they ask questions.

First thing I suggest to you is read the faq links about turbos...that should take you about 4 weeks and I wrote a fourth of them.

As for the differences between cars off the line...well you just can't compare a stock N/A DSM to a turbo DSM. They are 2 completely different animals to drive.

adgators99 said:
good points, I was unaware of when some turbo's reach full boost, if they do at 3000 or 3500, then that is awesome with out a doubt. even at up to 4000-4500 would be ok, but 5500 is way to high for full boost, seems like the car would kind of bog after shifting and stuff, but then again, I don't know, that's just a thought.

i know I enjoy my GS, to turbo it maybe later would be nice, but I like it just the way it is
pretty quick car

Why is the gs heavier than an gsx or gst? shouldn't they have more components

50 Trims will spool at 4000-4500, but the power is unbelievable.... smaller turbos: 16g, 14b, T-25 all spool well below 4 grand. Ride in a turbo car you will def. see what I mean. You shift high to avoid bogging down.... much as you do w/ a NA car to not fall out of the optimal power band.

GS and RS are way lighter... whoever said they weren't are wrong.

The real reason you move from a NA -> Turbo is becuase you get the itch for speed.... and it happens!

adgators99 said:
I'm not being an a$$ here, I'm trying to learn about the differences. I am unaware of a couple issues that someone stated before my previous post. I am here to learn some things as well as explain things I know to others, being a wiseman you can understand that, we all start somewhere. A couple major things I want to know is the differences for instance off the line for each car and at what rpms boost begins to build and at full boost. I'm interested in turbo's as well as n/a's like mine. I want to know as much as I can to be helpful to others when they ask questions.

The difference off the line?

All FWD Cars = Open Diff, so given that you have street tires, you'll be having some traction problems, even more so w/ GS-T's....

AWD Cars = More broken parts, but ####in sick as hell launches!

NyteDSM96 said:
gs's and rs's are much heavier. and yes gsx's are faster off the line. now, i said MY car spools up to 5500 rpm's, maybe other cars boost at 4000 rpm when u really need it not when ur gunning the shit outta ur car. a gst might not the best thing for you... but it sure as hell works good as f*** for me :D except for the fact that every God damn cop has to look at me hard... damn police...

:dsm: :dsm: :dsm:

I don't know where you are getting your specs but I do know that an Eclipse RS weights less than a GS-T and GSX. If you are unsure then I would prefer that you don't guess. :D

We're talking 2nd Gen here 95-99. I know a GSX 1G probably weights less though.

RS: 2754 lbs
GSX: 3142 lbs

pr0 said:
I don't know where you are getting your specs but I do know that an Eclipse RS weights less than a GS-T and GSX. If you are unsure then I would prefer that you don't guess. :D

We're talking 2nd Gen here 95-99. I know a GSX 1G probably weights less though.

RS: 2754 lbs
GSX: 3142 lbs

how come my friends 97 rs door sticker says the curb weight on the car is 3300. sup w/ dat shit

jimwross said:
Well there are a quite a few things wrong with this conversation to start off with...

1st off, to answer the question of a NA car w/ 210 HP and a turbo car w/ 210, you all are saying that the NA car would whoop some ass. Thats your first mistake. That NA car isn't going to hit peak HP in to WAY up in the RPM range, the turbo car will hit fairly low. This guy that said he is spooling (full boost i assume) at 5500 rpm must have an ungodly large turbo, or something is seriously wrong with his car. 1st Generation DSM's w/ the 14b should hit full boost by 3500, a 2nd gen w/ a t-25 should hit it even sooner, you'll get full boost at a little over 3000. Don't forget, however, that this means FULL boost, its not like you aren't building boost as you rev up.

I'm not a NT hater at all, I had an ESI-T that I built, researched and put over a years worth of time in too, before I bought a Spyder GS-T. NT's are great, and if you have the knowledge and the knowhow, they can be quick. NT's with some sort of forced induction (nitrous, turbo) are not something to be ####ed with... although it takes quite a bit of work to get there.

If your goal is to be a 14 second car, yes its achievable. 420a w/ Turbo? are you willing to invest in building the engine so you can safely run more the 6psi? Do you understand the fuel requirements? How to tune ?

Basically this argument comes down to name calling "Your car is slow!" "No its not!" whatever. Get over it! Its your car, if you like it, thats all that really matters, most of us have never met each other, and its just the internet! Shit gas prices being what they are now, almost makes me want mine back!

If your in to going fast, obviously your going prob want an AWD Turbo DSM. If your goal is to look really good, go moderately fast, have lower insurance rates, get better gas mileage, then hey... you've got a decent car.

But, i'm done babbling...

my car begins spooling at 4500 rpm, and ends near 6000 rpm, i have the stock t 25 w/ the psi raised, and the waste gasket is gone. of course when im casually drivin, the car boosts earlier but it doesnt throw u back in ur seat like when ur racin. like i said before, maybe its just my car. at the end of the day, im still pretty fast.

NyteDSM96 said:
how come my friends 97 rs door sticker says the curb weight on the car is 3300. sup w/ dat shit

i read thats factoring in 4 passangers or something like that?? and a full tank of gas.

pr0 said:
My 95 RS says 2754 lbs. :| WTF.

there was a thread discussing this, and i thought it said that the weight was including 4 passangers. maybe doug will come in and enlighten us

ok, knowing that the rs and gs are lighter then a gs-t, would a gs be better off the line, are they similar, of would the turbo kick in in 2nd gear and pull right away?

adgators99 said:
ok, knowing that the rs and gs are lighter then a gs-t, would a gs be better off the line, are they similar, of would the turbo kick in in 2nd gear and pull right away?

i would think that if they rev before they launch then the turbo would make them pull away right away.

Stock times for future reference:

year/trim/0-60/1/4 mile
1989 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 7.2 15.8
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 7.4 15.9
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.9 15.2
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 7.0 15.3
1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.8 15.2
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 9.0 16.6
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 6.4 15.0
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.4 14.9

Weight makes a big difference, but so does traction.

NyteDSM96 said:
my car begins spooling at 4500 rpm, and ends near 6000 rpm, i have the stock t 25 w/ the psi raised, and the waste gasket is gone. of course when im casually drivin, the car boosts earlier but it doesnt throw u back in ur seat like when ur racin. like i said before, maybe its just my car. at the end of the day, im still pretty fast.

The T-25 will spool right off idle!!! and builts its full boost 2600-3000 grand tops. I have never heard such a crazy high number in my life so you really have something wrong or aren't feeling boost because of the extremely small stock turbo.

A evo lll 16g will have full boost about 3500-3800 RPM and start spooling way before that. Lag really isn't an issue on these smaller turbos. Even 50 trims have full boost around 3800-4000 rpms. Sorry to interupt the thread but just dont wanna start hearing that my car wont spool unti 1500 RPM before redline. OMG

cuttheduck said:
The T-25 will spool right off idle!!! and builts its full boost 2600-3000 grand tops. I have never heard such a crazy high number in my life so you really have something wrong or aren't feeling boost because of the extremely small stock turbo.

A evo lll 16g will have full boost about 3500-3800 RPM and start spooling way before that. Lag really isn't an issue on these smaller turbos. Even 50 trims have full boost around 3800-4000 rpms. Sorry to interupt the thread but just dont wanna start hearing that my car wont spool unti 1500 RPM before redline. OMG

my car starts spooling at 1500 rpm's and u feel the thrust at around 3000 rpm's (CASUALLY DRIVING). when im racing the car, the spooling is not really gainin power until at 4000 rpm's and u feel the thrust any where between 4500 rpm's and 6000 rpm's. my turbo is fine. i didnt say the car wont start spooling 1500 rpm's before redline, i said that you will not feel the car's thrust till 4500 rpms - 6000 rpm's (racing). yes i know small turbos are not stupposed to have great lag. but ive read everywhere that eclipses endure great understeer (which is true) and great lag for such a small turbo (also true). maybe sumeone messed around w/ my timin, or your timin.

GSGoinFast said:
i read thats factoring in 4 passangers or something like that?? and a full tank of gas.

but that sounds stupid, cuz the manufacturers cannot estimate the weight of your passengers, what if ur carryin sum really heavy people. the tank yes, that would make sum sense, but not to add 500 lbs.

NyteDSM96 said:
but that sounds stupid, cuz the manufacturers cannot estimate the weight of your passengers, what if ur carryin sum really heavy people. the tank yes, that would make sum sense, but not to add 500 lbs.

well for some reason the advanced search isnt working for me right now, it keeps saying "fatal error". but thats what the other thread said. when it starts working again ill look for it.

Randomrage said:
Stock times for future reference:

year/trim/0-60/1/4 mile
1989 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 7.2 15.8
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 7.4 15.9
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.9 15.2
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 7.0 15.3
1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.8 15.2
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 9.0 16.6
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T 6.4 15.0
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 6.4 14.9

Weight makes a big difference, but so does traction.

for the most part those times look very accurate, but are you saying a stock 90 gs will beat a 90 gs-t ????

TSIMonsteR said:
for the most part those times look very accurate, but are you saying a stock 90 gs will beat a 90 gs-t ????

i think thats suppose to be a GS-T time

Just a question do they make torque converters for auto 420a's, I know they help free up some torque on other cars. That would help you launch faster, not much but it would help.

1 more thing why the hate for us n/t guys? I was a Z owner and all z owners turbo and non had respect for each other, and helped when questions were asked and NEVER EVER said get a turbo version instead the car you worked hard to buy. What is up with that crap. Last I checked this was a non turbo section we don't go and give the turbo guys advise about something we don't know about. Turbo guys don't own 420a's so shut the #### up about it. Let us help ourselves go and brag about your turbos in your section.

Lack of dick+Igonrance of another car=turbo owners

Redmachine said:
Just a question do they make torque converters for auto 420a's, I know they help free up some torque on other cars. That would help you launch faster, not much but it would help.

1 more thing why the hate for us n/t guys? I was a Z owner and all z owners turbo and non had respect for each other, and helped when questions were asked and NEVER EVER said get a turbo version instead the car you worked hard to buy. What is up with that crap. Last I checked this was a non turbo section we don't go and give the turbo guys advise about something we don't know about. Turbo guys don't own 420a's so shut the #### up about it. Let us help ourselves go and brag about your turbos in your section.

first of all, why did u drop the z for the clipse?? j/k. anyways, not everyone dats turbo rags on non turbos. i dont talk crap about them. i actually try to help.

Redmachine said:
Turbo guys don't own 420a's so shut the #### up about it. Let us help ourselves go and brag about your turbos in your section.

Some of us do own nonturbo's,what do you think commute in??? It runs good and looks
good so I can't complain.

I see why your frustrated, but saying having a turbocharged car means you lack a dick seems more ignorant then anything a turbo guy has ever said. I'm sorry I not as hung as guys driving a neon powered automobile, maybe some day.

:thumbdown

Torque convertor = $$$ but would help, engine probaly first though.

cuttheduck said:
Some of us do own nonturbo's,what do you think commute in??? It runs good and looks

I see why your frustrated, but saying having a turbocharged car means you lack a dick seems more ignorant then anything a turbo guy has ever said. I'm sorry I not as hung as guys driving a neon powered automobile, maybe some day.

cant we all just get along :cry:

cuttheduck said:

i see what you mean, that was an ignorant comment that is probably just going to start a flame war, but it does have some point. you never see a NT guy go into the turbo section and start bashing on all of there cars. its always a turbo guy in the NT forum making fun of the NT's. this is not all, just a select few, but there are a bunch of turbo A$$holes out there. this should be a place where, NT or not, help is given, advice is given, and everybody strives to make there car faster, no matter what there base of their modding was or is. we all gotta get along, but a select few are preventing that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back