The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

very slow launch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pico

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 26, 2002
Fairview_Pennsylvania
Ok I have a 91 Eagle Talon N/T A/T. I don't have many mods to it except exhaust. But it is insanely slow on pickup until about 3000rpm then it starts to gain pretty good. I've already read all the launching techniques but the next amount of money I put into the car .. I would like to put twords something to help that slowwwwwwww take off .. any tips? or ideas?

get more air flowing through. i have a 95 gs n/t mt and it was still slow until 3k but i put a new muffler gutted the cat and a CAI and i can feel a big difference. :thumb:

both NT motors suck beneath 3,000rpm and don't really hit their pace until 4,000rpm (and even then they aren't fast). Go standard and that will help, or go for a high-stall torque convertor and that will also help but hurt your mileage and streetability, or just do the turbo swap. in a 1st gen, why not? not much stopping you. looking hard enough and you could find a good donor engine for not much money.

Youp , the same thing with my Talon, before 3 it is kind slow but after 4 it goes pretty good. Especialy when its is night, and it is a littlebit colder outside, cause I have straight RAM AIR, which I will discuss a littlebit later in the formu, cause I need to make photos to show you guys. Basically air goes in to two holes of blits body kit from 2 sides which goes to the ail filter (I got fom a Pontiac Grant Am) and then to the monifold. Then faster you go then more pressure you get, more air more power. REALLLLLYYY COOOL on interstait. Going 85mph, then pushing full throttal and it fills like you are on 3rd gear.
Anyway, before 4,000rpm mine is also going much slower then after

P.S. sorry for grammar, still learning english

i think the best mods for helpin acceleration (without wastin a fortune) are:

1) cold air intake.

2) just rip the cat off the exhaust system, u dont have to buy one.

3) obx cam gears will help you tremendously.

:dsm: :dsm: :dsm:

wont getting rid of your cat make you slower under 4k? your loosing low end torque right? anyways yes mine is slow then too. a nitrous shot should speed things up a bit eh?

haha yes chris nitrous helps :p

udp will help as well, i can't beleive no one has mentioned it, throttle body IS acceleration, wow major noobs posting :rolleyes: :p haha just kidding guys.

cai, udp, tb, cat-back will all help on take of. Yes a test pipe for a cat will rob you of low-end torque but once you get to 3k its much quicker...

GSGoinFast said:
wont getting rid of your cat make you slower under 4k? your loosing low end torque right? anyways yes mine is slow then too. a nitrous shot should speed things up a bit eh?

would make sense but ive never heard ANYTHING negative about removin ur cat.

NyteDSM96 said:
would make sense but ive never heard ANYTHING negative about removin ur cat.
On a turbo car, the turbocharger creates enough resistance in the exhaust to promote low end torque, that anything after it can be totally straight through and as large of piping as you want.

On a N/A car, there is no turbocharger (obviously) so they need resistance in the exhaust piping and especially the catalytic converter to promote low end torque.

If you remove the cat, you'll lose low end torque, and gain an unnoticable amount at higher RPMs.

leakyfaucet said:
On a turbo car, the turbocharger creates enough resistance in the exhaust to promote low end torque, that anything after it can be totally straight through and as large of piping as you want.

On a N/A car, there is no turbocharger (obviously) so they need resistance in the exhaust piping and especially the catalytic converter to promote low end torque.

If you remove the cat, you'll lose low end torque, and gain an unnoticable amount at higher RPMs.

ur right about everything except at the end, the higher rpms will produce around 5 hp more after ur car is over 3500 revolutions per minute. i think dats noticeable.

NyteDSM96 said:
ur right about everything except at the end, the higher rpms will produce around 5 hp more after ur car is over 3500 revolutions per minute. i think dats noticeable.

uhhh barely if at all

NyteDSM96 said:
id take 5 hp for the low low cost of NOTHIN any day. :D

or the high high cost of the $5000 fine if caught without one if you dont live in the holy land of florida

NyteDSM96 said:
id take 5 hp for the low low cost of NOTHIN any day. :D
For the cost of a noticeable amount of low end torque, poorer gas mileage, and a stinky car?

GSGoinFast said:
or the high high cost of the $5000 fine if caught without one if you dont live in the holy land of florida

who in the hell is gonna charge u 5g's for not havin ur cat?????????? for wat? for makin too much noise??? u can drive without a muffler without any problem. for smoke??? a woman w/ a mother***** pipe makes more smoke. so i dunno wat ur talkin about. plz enlighten me on this so i could tell the 10's of people i know w/ their cats removed dat have never been fined.

leakyfaucet said:
For the cost of a noticeable amount of low end torque, poorer gas mileage, and a stinky car?

yes, i dunno, and dont blame the smell on the car. :cool:

NyteDSM96 said:
who in the hell is gonna charge u 5g's for not havin ur cat?????????? for wat? for makin too much noise??? u can drive without a muffler without any problem. for smoke??? a woman w/ a mother***** pipe makes more smoke. so i dunno wat ur talkin about. plz enlighten me on this so i could tell the 10's of people i know w/ their cats removed dat have never been fined.

Because you're breaking a Federal law. If you get pulled over without one there is typically a very hefty local fine and the even larger Federal fine though I believe it's more than 5k. Just get a high flow catalytic convertor. Same effect and safer. Besides, don't you like breathing clean air?

Might want to check your local laws determining the legality of having no cat on your vehicles. In all 50 states it is illegal to have an exhaust shop remove it for you, but in a few locations there are no fines for having no cat if you do it yourself. Usually if your state does not have emissions testing, they cannot fine you for not having a cat since there is no proof there is something wrong. I first learned of this from some of the local racers in the area along with a couple of shops, I checked into it through a few P.D. buddies I have, and it seems to be legit, but subject to where you live. Plus, I have never been pulled over and had a cop stick his (or her) head under my car...it might get run over! ;) :laugh:

:talon: :shhh:

yup a local shop told me here(illinois) its a $10k fine for the shop that does it and $5k if you do it yourself. the holy land of florida doesnt have emissions so you can take yours off

putting exhuast on a car opens the flow up.
but it also takes lowend torque away.
it give you more power in your "power band"
but give you less when you are not in your "power band"

that make sense???

yes, there are no emission tests here. dat makes more sense, they cant fine u for sumthin they dont check. yes, florida is racin paradise :laugh:

i thought this was about slow launch not laws and sutff but o well thanks guys id just gut the cat :thumb:

Thunderskull said:
Yeah, the thread did get slightly off track didn't it? :)

well not really we were just warning him the punishment of doing one of the mods someone said to do... ok a little but it was still relative

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back