The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Holset oil seals leaking? (Video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceddy

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2006
Reading, Pennsylvania
My setup is Holset WH1C(HX-35) in a BEP .55 A/R Housing.

Oil is feed from the head with the ExtremePSI oil feed.
Balance Shaft removed, Oil Squirters still installed, I think.

Drain is a -10 AN flange with a 5/8" pipe nipple screwed in, with hose to the bottom half of the stock oil drain line.

Car has been sitting for a few months, never smoked before.
When it was running, I was pushing only 12 psi because I needed larger injectors.

Shaft play is is zero and it spins freely.

It only smokes when you give it some throttle.

Valve guides from what I understand, smoke when you start, and stop smoking as it warms up.
Head gasket seems good, no mixing of fluids.

My question is,:
Is this bad turbo oil seals?

What could case it if the car hasn't be running.

And could oil have leaked past the seal while it was sitting?
And I just need it to burn off? Or are the seals beat?

Video:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/un-hnbClbyo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/un-hnbClbyo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Have you put fresh gas in the tank? Mine sat for 6 months over the winter and smoked on startup and when I'd give it throttle at idle but that stopped almost entirely once I got new gas in it. Not sure if it's your problem but thought I'd offer.

Todd.

Unlikely that you're getting oil blowby on a head-fed Holset. With the head as the oil source you're at the bottom of the oil pressure requirement spectrum instead of the top.

Oil smoke from a failing turbo normally begins as visible smoke when coasting with your foot off the gas, then escalates into constant smoke as the shaft play worsens.

My FWD had horrible valve seals before it was taken off the road. They were hard as bricks and sealed virtually nothing. The result was a car that smoked a little at startup, never while driving, but while hot idling the smoke would get worse and worse the longer it idled. Long stoplights and lots of traffic were amusing, but as soon as you started driving again the smoke would vanish.

Though, I'd post what my problem was in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

My center exhaust stud must have broke into the oil passage when I was putting new stainless steel studs in. When oil pressure would build up it would squirt oil in the exhaust manifold, and slowly drain in when the car was sitting.

Put some Permatex around the threads and behind the stud, hopefully this with stop the leak and not clog up my oil passage.

Well that's a hell of a thing. Can't say I've ever heard of a broken exhaust stud allowing oil to flow directly into the manifold, but I guess anything's possible.

Glad it wasn't the turbo!

This happened to me too. Crazy huh? :ohdamn:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back