The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G High IAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyky819

5+ Year Contributor
Aug 31, 2018
Otis orchards, Washington
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Okay so first of all this is my project car and I’m needing a little help with my high IAT. I have a 2ga talon tsi with a fp green xl and mishimoto R-line 4” core FMIC, and I typically see around 10 degrees above ambient temp while cruising. The problem is when I do a pull it shoots up to around 120 degrees in 3rd. I noticed my wastegate dump is pretty close to the ic piping and was wondering if that could cause the high IAT’s? So let me know what you would do. Heat wrap the ic pipes or get a new intercooler?

Wrap the downpipe and the intercooler pipes. It will help but you will still get a considerable rise during a pull, but at least the heat off of the exhaust won't be adding to the problem. You may even consider a cheap turbo blanket.

Please clarify. 120 above ambient? 120 period? What ambient temp? Where is the iat sensor?
Do you know the Temps before and after intercooler?
What is the efficiency of that core?
Basically how far off the mark do you think you are? Where is the root cause based on collected data and then maybe a solution can be applied. I do not think it is proximity to intercooler piping.

No idea how much boost you're running but the performance of Mishimoto intercoolers from what I've seen hasn't been that spectacular. Add to that almost half your core is covered by the bumper and the intake pipe ends just past the rad and nowhere near the outside of the engine bay...so by the time everything gets good and hot in there you're just drawing in air that's pre-heated right when the engine's at the point of highest load.

Simple test: try removing the passenger's side headlight giving a direct path of ambient air to the filter. If that helps, you need to either work on reducing bay temps or somehow isolate your filter from drawing hot air from the bay. Also, you have to route that o2 dump outside the bay- not only is it dumping hot exhaust but it's also a ridiculous amount of noise which can be picked up by the knock sensor and register as phantom knock.

Yesterday ambient temp was around 90 and I was logging around 95-97 while cruising and rising to around 120 degrees during a pull.

The IAT sensor is mounted in the throttle body elbow on the side. I have no idea what temps are before the core. This is on 26 psi.

My tuner just told me that the temp rise was way to much so I was looking for a second opinion before throwing big money at a better intercooler

Everything I’ve read pretty much states your IAT’s should be around around 10 degrees hotter then ambient temp. I’m getting a 25-30 degree rise and that does make me believe the intercooler isn’t flowing the best. The intercooler is rated at 1250 cfm but I’m not exactly sure on the efficiency. I think I read somewhere it was in the high 80% but I’ll have to double check that

Last edited by a moderator:
Junk intercooler and drawing in hot air. Not sure you can expect different results without changing parts. Mishimoto is poor quality. Everything they make struggles to work from what I see here locally.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back