The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G (GSX) Fuel pump retainer ring replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kryndon

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2014
Bulgaria, Europe
Hi everyone,

One of the first problems I noticed with this car is that whenever I filled up my gas tank to the max, it leaked quite a bit under the car. After further inspection, I realized that the plastic fuel pump assembly retainer has been cut in half and then ziptied up. The previous owner must have installed a different fuel pump as it also makes a loud buzzing sound which doesn't sound stock.

Here's a picture of the cut and how it all looks. Also, I am not familiar with fuel stuff yet, but has it been rewired, judging by the mess of wires on the connector?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I already bought a used GSX plastic retainer with the rubber ring. I also watched a video of a fella replacing his fuel pump and he had to go under the car to remove one of the return lines I believe. Unfortunately I don't have a jack or a place to go under the car; I can only work from inside. Will I be able to just unscrew that hex-nut to the left of the picture with the blue line painted on it?

Also I should note that I have been having issues with the car running fairly rich as I get horrible mileage. Sometimes I get strong whiffs of gasoline smell, both burnt and unburnt. Could this broken cap be causing these issues? Maybe it's not sealing correctly and thus no pressure is made inside the tank. Or could it be because the fuel pump is bigger and has been rewired, but I'm not running stock turbo/injectors/ECU?

Thanks in advance. I would really like to get this fixed as I have been delaying it for months now and I can't continue driving the car like this.

Hello, first things first you're going to need another lid , it's important so that it compresses and expands the Rubber seal.

You do not need to get underneath the car to do any of this there, are several threads that document how to go about it and if you're good with your hands you don't have to cut a little space into the body to allow for the Hardline to move freely.

You could be running rich for a very large number of reasons ,to include unmetered air or an unintended change in your fuel settings. you did not mention what injectors or at what pressure you are at, this is something better addressed by tuning.

Right now fix the obvious and then worry about what comes after.

One last thing in your picture I did not see any heat shrink or connectors to make me think the harness was spliced ,but if it was it's more than likely to supply that fuel pump with the voltage needed for it to produce good results ,sounds like you may have a walbro 255; my experience is there very loud

Thanks. The reason why I believe the fuel pump is not stock is, not only are the hose clamps missing in that picture (which means it has been fiddled with), but also when I bought the car it had bigger injectors (560cc EVOs), a 3" exhaust and it appears it had a bigger turbo at one point, but they left me with the T25. The injectors currently on the car are the blue-top 450cc ones from a 1G I believe. Stock FPR, but I do not have a means to measure fuel pressure. I have bypassed the regulator solenoid and it starts up right away, both on cold and hot starts.

And just to be clear, by 'lid' you mean the retainer I was talking about, yes?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I am searching endlessly for a write-up here on how to replace this thing without getting under the car, but I found only 1 guide and that was with the car on a lift :(

1) pull out back seat
2)take off 4 screws holding access plate on
3)remove all connection on top and maybe. sure you mark them so you know where. they go
4 jack up car put on a jackstand and take off underneath line
5) go back inside car and use sheet metal. shear to cut a slot to be able to pull. hanger out
6) if the ring is threaded on use a flat chisel and hammer to loosen if notnjust take off. Hanger assembly

When you put it back together make just you put it on straight ornis will crack and or leak again

Thanks to you both. I said f*** it and finally ordered a jack and 2 stands. It's a DSM after all, gotta have 'em! I'll update this post later on when I do this fix and get results.

UPDATE: I must say that jack and flared wrenches sure came in handy today. Unfortunately the top nut on the big hose did not break loose (the line coming off the pump was actually bent already), so I had to go from underneath the car like most videos and people suggest. Although I was reading the FSM as well and it states the pump can be swapped out entirely from the access hole under the seat, so I guess you're at the mercy of those damn brass fittings.

Also I noticed this O-ring was not sitting properly in the little tube (marked with the red arrow) and I adjusted it. Is this missing another piece or is it meant to sit like that?

Attachments

• O-ring.jpg
    O-ring.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 122
I forget how that little section assembles exactly but that's the siphon for pulling gas from the other side of the tank. Without the o-ring sealing it likely wasn't working properly and thus no siphoning, or reduced siphoning.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back