The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

ECMlink Going lean under load

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
Hey guys. Got my DTR trans in and was just driving to break it in. Tried to get into boost last night and she cutout and did NOT like me at all. I can see the car is going SUPER LEAN under load but need some assistance in troubleshooting. Car is on E85 and was running just fine a month ago. Fuel pressure rises if I add compressed air to the regulator but she is just not richening up.
Would you all take a look and see if you can give me some direction?
You can see the pull at the 360 second mark.
Thanks to all. I'd sure like things to go RIGHT for once.
Marty

Sorry Marty I’m having trouble viewing the log, it sounds like you’ve verified a properly functioning regulator/pump, how confident are you on the injectors? Possibly a dirty fuel filter? And don’t take offense on this next question because I’ve done it myself but was the vacuum to the regulator connected when you made the pull? I did that once and realized just how amazing e85 is LOL, went full boost with afr’s in the 14’s LOL

1) I'm wondering why the fuel pressure sensor isn't working. That would help tremendously here.
2) I'm guessing you have a bad fuel pump. I would make sure you're testing the regulator with fuel pump activated. I can't see any other reason this would happen.

1) I'm wondering why the fuel pressure sensor isn't working. That would help tremendously here.
2) I'm guessing you have a bad fuel pump. I would make sure you're testing the regulator with fuel pump activated. I can't see any other reason this would happen.
How do you test the regulator without the fuel pump turned on?

Again I’m thinking the fuel pump is working if it’s increasing fuel pressure with air pressure, but I can’t see the log, my only experience with super lean under boost was no vacuum/boost source to the regulator, I’ve seen other examples tho we’re the fuel filter element was dirty, and of course there’s the 2150’s on e85 that are known to have gummed up issues on e85

Thanks guys! Just dragging my ass out of bed, back to 6 days a week of work.
I am going to look at the fuel lab filter today and pull an injector. Regulator hose is definitely hooked up and key on pump on 43 psi, add air and I can get 100 psi. My link computer quit reading fuel pressure....it doesn't care if the sensor is hooked up or not so pay NO attention to it. It quit shortly after I installed it when KJ was getting her set up, so I verified fuel pressure increase with compressed air.
Thanks to you all.
Marty

Just a thought but when your testing that the pump builds pressure and you're getting 100 psi I'm assuming your at an idle? Sounds like a volume/flow issue since it's cutting out under boost. Maybe hook a mechanical pressure gauge up to see if fuel pressure drops under boost when a large volume of fuel is required? Just my .02.... which may not even be worth that much 🤣

Oh I WANT the input and had thought that, although I can get PRESSURE, am I getting VOLUME. After coffee and some kick in the pants, I want to take the filter apart and see if it needs cleaned. I also thought about going the the GAS STATION (EWW) and just running gas thru like alot say will clean things but my fuel is clean, out of my very own 55 gallon barrel and she has always been on E. Idk. I appreciate all the different opinions.

Fuel filter clean as a whistle.
Pump raising pressure if i add "boost".
Like you SHOULD NEVER DO, the afpr line is tee'd at the afpr and is not leaking although I did say to my son that I was just going to unkook the boost guage and run that line right to the regulator. Still is running ass backwards as far as fuel delivery under load.
Time for a beer.....:thumb:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Maybe under driving conditions the fuel pressure isn’t rising? The 535 uses a lot of energy so perhaps it is a wiring deficiency? You may want to physically pull the pump and check for leaks. You may have used hose that’s not compatible with e85. You could have a leak. Might as well try anything at this point.

Last edited:
Can you compare injector duty cycle to an earlier log? At least then you may know if it's lean because of a fuel delivery issue or an injector delivery issue. Although that sounds the same I know you know what I'm saying. If it's different then go looking for why??

If you're still looking for why, check & make sure the system voltage is good & the ground to the pump is clean. I've seen lean conditions when the alternator is starting to fail just before they go completely dead.

Hell guys, I am will to check or try each and every one of these just to be positive. I am thinking of doing a car on log and introduce 30 psi to the system and see if it richens up the afrs on the WB also.
Appreciate each and every one of you. :thumb:

Why don't ya just drive up and put some of your "magic touches" on it :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back