1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Gains vs Losses with SMIM for small 16g

Posted by spadepro22, Dec 26, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. white92talontsi

white92talontsi Proven Member

Joined Nov 12, 2003
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    I run a Magnus Street SMIM and a Accufab 75mm Throttle body with a pair of Delta 275's resting on my head.

I daily drive the car 365 days/year.

Low end power out of boost? WTF is that?
    Top end power at full boost? shhh we need more than 8k RPM here please.

Cruising behind slow cars going up a hill? PITA. DOWNSHIFT DOWNSHIFT DOWNSHIFT

Cruising about 3kRPM? Gravy!

Vacuum at idle? WTF is that? Shhh brakes don't work so well...

All in all it is not really that bad, just remember to DOWNSHIFT DOWNSHIFT DOWNSHIFT.

Why?

Because Racecar!

2. Reefman

Reefman Proven Member

Joined Apr 13, 2008
    San Diego, California
    If you can turn a wrench you can remove an intake manifold even if it takes a whole day. I used to be intimidated to do any work on my car and now I have pretty much rebuilt the engine myself. If you go with a SMIM you will still be doing some work to remove the old manifold and install the new one. Powdercoating the stock manifold will still cost less, but of course it's completely up to you. Good luck with your decision.

3. spadepro22

spadepro22 Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2008
    Seneca, South Carolina
    Question about painting, what about holding in heat?

896  0

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  4. 91stocker

91stocker Proven Member

Joined Jan 15, 2010
    Vassar, Michigan

1K  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.26 @ 102.09 · 1G DSM
  5. tkelly27

tkelly27 Proven Member

Joined Mar 11, 2007
    Gresham, Oregon
  6. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin
    I say if you can pick one up CHEAP then pick it up for future gains but for now as everyone else said, not worth it.

370  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  7. RedVengeAPX

RedVengeAPX Supporting VIP

Joined Oct 30, 2006
    Richmond, Virginia
    Glad this was brought up, I've also been thinking of picking up a "street" manifold for myself, Along with that I have HKS 272/272 combo and adjustable cam gears. Now when people say loss or slow spool what are we talking here something like 3-400rpm slower or less noticeable than that?

Street Build 3K  0

1998 Dodge Avenger
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  8. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    Back when I was on a 50-trim, I added Comp 200's (272s) and a Magnus street manifold, and I didn't sacrafice any spool-up. I may have lost a bit of low end power (off boost and/or power while spooling), but I never did verify for sure on the dyno.

I'll also add that "downshifting" is a poor fix for a crappy power curve. If the majority of your RPM band is dead on power and you need to downshift just to get the car to accelerate, that will make you hate driving your car before anything else will.

Street Build 6K  67

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    609.8 whp · 541.2 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  9. 95talongirl

95talongirl Supporting Member

Joined Feb 9, 2008
    On a Jet Plane, Illinois
    Don't forget about head work to match the intake. No reason to have all this nice airflow then hit a wall because the head can't flow it efficiently. ;)

I think these are a bit overkill for a 16g, like mentioned.

4K  32

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.437 @ 126.42 · 2G DSM