The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD Drag Racing Techniques and setups !

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8killer

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 4, 2002
harlan, Kentucky
Just wanted to start a thread about FWD setups that work for Drag Racing and people experiences with drag radials and slicks.

Please post suspension setups,wheel and tire combos and engine setups:

i have followed that thread but it is pretty old and lengthy and doesn't have the specific posts about the components that people need when running a FWD to get good 60's ! like my old combo was a lightened 95 talon tsi FWD that was running 15x8 rims with m&h 24.5x8.5x15 slicks and was pulling a best of 1.73 60.ft and was not done tuning. i feel that it could have done consistant mid 1.6's if it hadn't spun a rod bearing from too many loose oil filters !

I have tein s tech springs and 26x9.5x16 QTPs. Average 60ft is a 1.8 with my lowest of 1.73 I think. Stock axles and stock open diff tranny.

I launch off the 2 step at around 5300rpm. I just slip the clutch a little and then feather the gas as it spins. You have to ride out first for a while even if you are spinning so you dont fall out of boost when you shift into 2nd.

I have tein s tech springs and 26x9.5x16 QTPs. Average 60ft is a 1.8 with my lowest of 1.73 I think. Stock axles and stock open diff tranny.

I launch off the 2 step at around 5300rpm. I just slip the clutch a little and then feather the gas as it spins. You have to ride out first for a while even if you are spinning so you dont fall out of boost when you shift into 2nd.

i have been looking at your setup and have wondered about those tires ? they look short for 26" could you measure those and see how tall they stand i need to see if i can fit a set under the front of my 1g.

I know for a fact they fit a 1g. One of my friends around here has 4 of them on his 1g AWD. They are 26"...in the pictures at the track there is only 8-10psi in them so thats why they look shoter probably.

I know for a fact they fit a 1g. One of my friends around here has 4 of them on his 1g AWD. They are 26"...in the pictures at the track there is only 8-10psi in them so thats why they look shoter probably.

Thanks for the reply, well the only problem i may have is my car has progress drop springs. my car only measures 24.5-25.0" from the ground to the fender lip ! could you measure the actual tire height !

The outside of the tire is 25" tall but at the highest point(the middle) it's 25.5 or 26 it's tough to tell. I would get the fenders rolled if I were you cause they will rub on any bump if they even fit

The outside of the tire is 25" tall but at the highest point(the middle) it's 25.5 or 26 it's tough to tell. I would get the fenders rolled if I were you cause they will rub on any bump if they even fit

Thanks a lot ! also man your car is moving, when do you plan on going back to the track ours are closed for the season so i'm going to get mine ready with the evo3 16g on meth turned up shooting for low 11's then i may try a holset hx35 or 40 !

Thanks a lot ! also man your car is moving, when do you plan on going back to the track ours are closed for the season so i'm going to get mine ready with the evo3 16g on meth turned up shooting for low 11's then i may try a holset hx35 or 40 !

Thanks! I'm trying to go tomorrow actually. Since my last time at the track I've added another pump, more boost and more timing so we'll see.

It's gonna be tough getting the 16g into the deep 11s. Maybe witha 75 shot or something you would have no problem. Good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying to go tomorrow actually. Since my last time at the track I've added another pump, more boost and more timing so we'll see.

It's gonna be tough getting the 16g into the deep 11s. Maybe witha 75 shot or something you would have no problem. Good luck!

yeah i know its going to be a challenge, it all depends on how good i can get it to hook !

Try a 75 shot of nitrous and start with a whole shot in second gear at the line!!! My stock 91 gst with no N2O when dropped in second took off just fine (except it spun tire like a mofo). Come to thing of it it did awesome except when i shifted into 3rd it seemed pretty powerless... But that's where the N2O comes in handy to spool that turbo back up!! Maybe even bypass the blow off valve to keep boost during the 1 shift you should have to make!!

Last edited:
Can we maybe...continue this discussion in present time?

I have been searching on the web for the last few weeks for some good information about setups, techniques, adjustments, etc. for the FWD at the strip.

Most of the stuff I found is common sense stuff like lowering the tire pressure, removing weight, etc.

I have raced my TSi at the track the last 2 weeks that the track ran (3 weeks ago, then rained out, then raced this past Friday).

I have:
-Lowered the front tire pressure to 15psi in the left front and 17 psi in the right front (un-equal length axle shaft experiment).
-Removed everything out of the hatch (spare tire, tools, parts, etc. Probably 100lbs worth of stuff while daily driving)
-Removed the passenger side headlight (for direct flow to the air filter).

This past Friday, my best E.T. timeslip is as follows:
Reaction- .7409
60'- 2.2821
330'- 6.2453
1/8 Mile ET- 9.3950
1/8 Mile MPH- 79.10

I hit fuel cut on almost every pass. Long story, but I cannot go WOT or else I will hit fuel cut instantly. That is another story.

The above timeslip information came from a Pro Tree (track official called it 4-10's?). Late in the evening, there weren't many people running during test and tune since a lot of the drivers headed home early. So the last hour or so, I ran probably 6 times (probably heat-soaking at this pace).

Anyway, I got up to the staging lane and the track official said the official in the tower wanted to know if I wanted to run the Pro Tree (jokingly). I said why not? Ironically, this is where I made my quickest time of the night.

I am really getting into this whole drag racing thing. So I would like some information about how to remove a few tenths from my ET. I know this could prove to be very useful for others.

Btw, the track I race at is 1/8 mile only.

Well for starters fix your fuel cut issues and I bet you will gain a few tenths LOL. Also suspension and tires will be you biggest help. It's all about the 60' bro the lower you can get that the faster your e.t. will be. It also helps to have a good mid and top end :) I average 1.8 60's and my best is 1.788. I plan to work on that this Saturday at the track.

Shortydtp, Im curious what your suggestions are for cuttin 1.5/1.4 60' ?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back