1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Fuel Tanks & Charcoal Canister Lines

Posted by Dapperz, Apr 4, 2016

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Dapperz

Dapperz Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2016
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Ok, I dropped my gas tank this weekend so I could begin under sealing my car and had to cut some rubber hoses running to what I believe is the charcoal canister. They were rotted so they needed replacing anyway but my question is where to get them? I've read some threads regarding canister removal but I am not sure what all that entails with my charcoal canister location; under the gas tank, car is a 98 GST. The lines are shown on the right of the image. Although I'm pretty sure this is a GSX gas tank the back of it looks just like mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. 2gmitsueclipse

2gmitsueclipse DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    Try to reload your images so we can verify what you are looking at to help you. The EVAP system on 2g DSMs vary wildly on the location of certain items such as the charcoal canister. It is unlikely you have a GSX fuel tank on your GS-T as the GSX fuel tank needed provision for the drive-shaft. This wouldn't be a simple bolt-in affair

FWD fuel tank:
    2g-fwd-fuel-tank.png

AWD fuel tank:
    2g-awd-fuel-tank.png

Read more about the fuel tank designs here:

http://esm.logic.net/public/dsm/tank/2g-awd-fuel-tank.png

Autocross Build 18K  47

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM

Autocross Build 3K  0

1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  3. Dapperz

Dapperz Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2016
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    The attachment is working on the post. My gas tank doesn't look like the images that you posted. It has an additional section towards the rear of the tank with the canister attached to the underside of the car above the gas tank.

4. 2gmitsueclipse

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    The images I posted were to demonstrate the visual differences of the FWD and AWD tank to demonstrate my point. Your tank should look like one of the tanks, but I am not going to argue it. As to your specific questions:

You would likely be looking at a large bill for OEM parts if they were even available. Your best bet is to make your own using tubing safe for fuel vapor and barbed fittings to form bends/turns. The photo demonstrates what I am referring to (not DSM specific):
    IMG_4876.jpg

The attachment in your initial post shows the charcoal canister integrated into the fuel tank. If this is your case, you would need to swap out for an older tank (97) to completely remove it.

If this is not correct, post up pics of what you are actually working with.

Autocross Build 18K  47

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Autocross Build 3K  0

manual · 1G DSM
  5. Dapperz

Dapperz Proven Member

Joined Feb 23, 2016
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    IMG_1221.jpg

This is an image of my tank. I'm referring to all of the lines on the left side of the image. I believe they're all related to the evap system? I know the bottom most line is part of the filler neck.

6. 2gmitsueclipse

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Auburn Hills, Michigan
    You do indeed have a FWD fuel tank. The large rectangular part on the tank with three hoses would be the charcoal canister.

The three larger hose part numbers are (passenger->driver side):
    If they were even available, you would have been well over $100 just for these lines. As I mentioned, you will want to make your own lines. Here is a more detailed dagram of the lines:
    113_0203SC2M5T.png

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

Autocross Build 18K  47

awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

manual · 2G DSM

Autocross Build 3K  0

manual · 1G DSM
  7. Gost420

Gost420 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 3, 2018
    Apopka, Florida
    I'm having an issue with lots of pressure killing my fuel pump and performance . I have the same style tank how do I delete the evap system?

Street Build 201  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. PlanZero

PlanZero Proven Member

Joined Aug 13, 2013
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Street Build 4K  8

1996 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD