1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Fuel Pump Rewire Issue (burning hot!)

Posted by jm1080, Nov 18, 2015

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    There are a lot of "oem" approved things that are ridiculous.

My reasoning for butt connectors specifically is the type of pot metal used in many of them is absolute garbage, and I've measured as high as 7 ohms of resistance across but connectors that are supposedly approved for my work every day. If I try to use that in just about any circuit I have, it will not work properly and i can't guarantee my jobs, let alone have a reliably functional product leave the shop.

Just saying, if you can solder a high current connection, it will be superior to a butt splice connector in every way.

Sorry if that was taken as "misinformation".

84  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 555  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 795  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. asexton6969

asexton6969 Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Saying using a butt connector with anything more than an amp or two is a no-no is misinformation. That's all I ask that you not spread.

As far as the butt connectors go. I have used butt connectors and solder in just about any circuit dealing with automotive. You must understand electrical and use common sense when making repairs to certain circuits. You also must pay attention to the type of products you are using. Butt connectors are sold far and wide. Too often, people are making repairs with "dollar store" butt connectors that are absolutely inferior. Everything I use is a heat shrink butt connector from name brands. They aren't cheap but when I am repairing electrical circuits, I don't want cheap.

To talk on soldering, technique as well as the product (type and brand of solder) people are using will determine the quality of the repair.

Street Build 2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    450 whp · 368 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  3. ThunderChild

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That's fair, and an oversight on my part.

Either way, imho there are better ways to connect, especially a high draw circuit like the fuel pump, than with a butt connector. I've never even looked at the pre-packaged fuel pump rewire kits, i just DIY'd mine, but it surprises me they'd supply butt connectors.

Either way, there's definitely some resistance somewhere, and it's usually a ground or high impedance on the main power. It's possible the relay is damaged as well.

84  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Street Build 555  7

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 795  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. jm1080

jm1080 Proven Member

Joined Jun 13, 2006
    Boca, Florida
    I think my fix was I rewired everything nicely thicker wires, new connector, more grounds and i believe that was what fixed the issue. It is warm but not burning hot like before.

450  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
    tametalon92 likes this.
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Could recommend a brand of connections that you use?

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. asexton6969

Joined Nov 8, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Pico is the brand name - heat shrink butt connectors. I own an auto repair shop so I have tons of different tools for crimping as well. Making sure you get a good solid crimp is essential. Should be able to tug on the wires and not have them pull out of the connector. Then use a heat gun to shrink the butt connector for a weather proof seal.

An old catalog from their website.

http://www.picowiring.com/catalog.html

Tametalon, have you ever tried the solder and heat shrink butt connectors? They are in that catalog as well. They are pretty expensive but make for a nice solid connection when done right. They can take a little getting use to.

Street Build 2K  0

7. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Much obliged, sir.

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  8. ThunderChild

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I have, and in all honesty, I can solder much faster. I'm sure they work well, but in my environment the price and speed of them defeats the purpose. Most of my wiring is interior work, and if I do exterior, I'll solder and heatshrink with expandable sheathing.

The only crimp hardware I use is caps occasionally. I even solder my end lugs on so I don't rely on crimps.

But if they work then it's nice to have options!

84  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux

Street Build 555  7

fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 795  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  9. brads

brads DSM Wiseman

Joined Oct 24, 2002
    Alta Loma, California
    Which OEMs? And how recent is that info? I was designing some harnesses for GM within the past decade, and they seemed very insistent on not using solder. I don't think butt connectors were on the approved list either.

Back in the 90s though, both of them were common on OEMs.

Street Build 1K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  10. brads

brads DSM Wiseman

Joined Oct 24, 2002
    Alta Loma, California
    If you are ordering anything from Pico, also get their depinning tools. They are knock offs of the GM tools, but $6 for a set of 3 is worth having them in the tool kit. I think the PN is something like 0660PT or something like that.

Street Build 1K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. asexton6969

Joined Nov 8, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Just about all of them. I have received pig tail kits with butt connectors and some where instructions or TSB's from the manufacturer REQUIRE soldering. Have never found a rhyme or reason. (Interior vs Powertrain, etc) Soldering is definitely a required skill to have but to be honest when dealing with wiring, quality is the most important aspect. Unfortunately too many people are looking at time vs quality and instead go the quick easy route.

Dealt with it today on a older Crown Victoria. Voltage is dropping from EEC fuse to PCM power relay. Common for wiring to rub in the corners of the radiator support. Vehicle owner is wanting to be too cheap to actually find the problem and repair it. Wanted to just run a bypass wire from the battery to the relay. If done correctly would be a fine repair but the problem is there are two other modules that receive power on this same wire. Can't take the easy way out on this one.

Street Build 2K  0

12. brads

brads DSM Wiseman

Joined Oct 24, 2002
    Alta Loma, California
    Oh, you meant REPAIRING wiring. Yes, you will see things like buttsplices and solder come out to make repairs, especially if the alternative would cost the company a lot of money. But I think MOST OEMs have gotten away from using/approving buttsplices and solder in their harness design, because they don't work as well as new options for connecting wire.

I don't know how mechanics/shops deal with that cheapo mentality on a day to day basis.

Street Build 1K  0

manual · 2G DSM