The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Fp68hta track results

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrykoren

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 4, 2008
toledo, Ohio
Well I went to the track with the new FP68HTA. I am very impressed with the results over my small 16g. I just wanted to show that this turbo can put out pretty good times and might be worth the money to some.

I ran a 12.2 @ 108 last year with my small 16g, and ran a best of [email protected] with nothing changed but the turbo to the FP68HTA.

I was running 30lbs of boost and I am on a 2.0L with pump e85 and I have just normal tuning skills. All my tunes are using v3 on the street. Afr was 12.1 until 6500 then dipped into 10s for some reason but I shifted at 7k in each gear. Max timing at 7k was 23 degrees.

These are my mods.

92 TSI AWD AUTO - 6 bolt/4bolt, FP68HTA, FP race manifold, L19 head studs, BSE, SS 2.5in dump O2 housing (no exhaust), ECMlink V3, FIC 1150, 2 inline walbro 255, -8an feed, -6an return, fuel lab filter, fuel lab afpr, aeromotive fuel rail, rci 5 gal fuel cell, russel prefilters, Pure pump E85, shift box, 24x12x3 FMIC w/3in piping, AEM wideband, HKS BOV, Speed Density, mbc, k&n intake

I have a stock longblock (studs and bse only engine mods), stock tranny (just a toggle switch shift box), stock converter, was on street tires, stock suspension, ect. The only things done is what is listed in the mods above.

I was losing some traction and I believe I could have 10's easily if I had slicks (taller too). The traction loss and the fact that I had to shift into 4th, which sucks by the way. But if I stayed in third past 7k it would break up and stop accelerating due to being very rich despite tuning changes.

The car and I
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Time slips (two best)

Here is my youtube channel with all my runs.

YouTube - 94atxvr2's Channel

SOme of the best..

YouTube - eagle talon tsi auto fp68hta 11.21@121
YouTube - eagle talon tsi auto fp68hta 11.22@121
YouTube - eagle talon tsi auto fp68hta 11.15@122

The only other thing is some weight reduction, and speed density conversion. Everything else is the same. Well the s16g would only hold 25psi to redline and this turbo holds 30psi. But mod wise, I lost some weight (maybe 1-200 lbs) and went from a 2g hacked mas to SD.

My FMIC is custom using the kit that I had on my old 3000gt vr4. The hotside is stock 3000gt piping and the intercooler is the 24x12x3 fmic I had on my 3000gt and it has side outlets. ANd the cold side is 3in piping from my 3000gt. I had it all so I made it work for free. My IATs in my UICP at starting line were 50 degrees F and at the finish 83 degrees F, so I believe it is working well, although the hot piping is ugly and a 180 bend.

I added L19 head studs too but that doesnt affect performance really, its just a safety measure to allow me to run this turbo all out I guess.

Great times. Any plans to get it Dyno'd?

Thanks all. Yea it was really consistent. The only thing that was changing was my 60 ft times due to traction loss. I plan to get some 26 in qtp's soon to help my 60ft and my gearing/rpm problems.

I dont think I will ever get it dynoed. I tune it myself and dont really want to spend money on getting a number when I have track results.

I am logging between 47-50lbs/min on ecmlink if that means anything. And my boostest ans map sensor are close and I am running SD with no correction, so I assume it is pretty accurate. But the auto eats up some power. I would hope I would be at 400whp but who knows. The car is rather gutted but not anything insane. I still have a full dash and center console, and roll up windows and wipers and heat. But the rest of the interior is gone and I have a fuel cell.

Yup 121.64 was highest. The auto is eating up some power no doubt. Also with launching at 30psi and instant shifts with my shift box, the ETs are great for the mph for the autos.

ALso, shifting into 4th is terrible. I spend the last 2 sec of every run in 4th right now. It is like a dead gear with no acceleration. It is way to long and an overdrive. If I get taller slicks or figure out whats going on up top, I bet it will trap higher and be in 3rd still plus I will get 10s then.

I mean cdub and english racing are near 10k in 3rd when they race their autos.

But I am on stock auto cams, stock valvetrain and it just isnt liking over 7k. Even when I change my afr tables to 13.5 it still drops from 12.1 at 6500 to 10.0 afr by 7k and the e85 hates it that rich and breaks up. So after the first run, I said 4th it is and I got decent times that way.

Last edited:
Job well done! this turbo is growing on me by the day!

I dont think I will ever get it dynoed. I tune it myself and dont really want to spend money on getting a number when I have track results.

Amen to that man!! Great results and super fast car for such simple mods.

nice... im sure that intercooler piping is holding you back from some better numbers, non the less, thats a good few runs there!

This is my future big upgrade (68hta) and some big inj.'s on e85!

With the stock converter, what rpm are you able to stall up to just before launch? Is the 30psi boost manually set. How much more boost would the setup make if the block could handle it?

The Camero's bark was worse than it's bite, hah.

VERY nice times! What tires/sizes are you running currently (if I missed it, I apologize :-|)

Congrats on your times, and Auto FTW!

I would LOVE to see a log from any of these runs!

Regarding the running out 3rd vs shifting into OD, I was under the impression that the OD shift was the better plan. I know on my car, running out 3rd with 26x9.5x16" QTP's Im at 8000rpm through the traps to go 128 and the motor is just dead up there (E3 16g down to 24psi) even with SMIM and 264/272 cams. Lucas English has commented that he picked up ET by shifting to 4th rather than running out 3rd. I would guess my car makes more power at 5500rpm than it does at 8000rpm. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test out an OD shift as I tossed the motor on my first pass with the OD switch hooked up.

anyway, my suggestion to you would be to hit the dyno just to see what your curves look like so you can make a better judgement on the ideal rpm range to run the engine in. The choice in tire size when you buy slicks could be key: if your engine setup seems to like more rpm, then get the 16" QTP's and run out third. If the dyno shows a lower powerband then it's possible a shorter 24x8x15" slick with OD shift is the way to go.

As far as the intercooler piping goes I dont know if its hurting anything. I mean its a 180 bend sideways but the ets kit and others is still a 180 bend but its vertical and then has a 90 degree bend. So it is still the same bend my way but overall my hot pipe has less bends.

Well my stock converter goes to 2500 rpms for about 3 sec and then as boost builds it gradually rises to like 4k or a little over and then it cant hold itself back and I let go. I had the boost controller all the way up as far as it could go and it only went to like 30.7 and held there til redline. And I have tested for leaks and do not have any, so I dont know if it will do any more. I wasnt limiting it because of my block. I would have ran more if it would have. With the e85 and L19 studs I am not scared of anything. LOL.

Tires are 225/50/16 (stock height) and just a little wider than the stock 205s. They are all season tires. Toyo extensa hp.

I cut up the core support for..
1) weight
2) I had a fuel cell up front but 2 gal wasnt enough and I went to a 5 gal in rear.
3) the intake pipe didnt fit well with the 2g mas I used to have
4) My intercooler hot pipe is very short route with barely any bends other than the one off the turbo and needed the support cut up a bit.

The cams are stock auto cams that came from the factory.

Go to dsmlink forums and search for the same title and you can see my logs. I have 3 posted there. If you dont have dsmlink then go download it and I will post logs here for you to see. I have 6 of them.

As far as OD goes it feels like no acceleration to me. On the log it just looks flat when you see rpms in 4th. Lucas and cdub both run 3rd to almost 10k. Maybe on englishs little auto he goes into 4th though. I dont know if Ill dyno. But next track trip I will work on both and see what happens. I do think it might be dead at that rpm but 4th feels like crap too.

I mean stock auto cams cant have much power at high rpms. Also, with stock cams I can hold more psi but it isnt flowing as well. I will experiment. I am going to norwalk on the 16th.

Here are all the logs, I missed two runs when logging. And run one was with no 4th gear shift and it just broke up.

Oh and you will need to hit edit >displayed values> and add boost (MAP) and AIr Temp (UICP) to see my boost via the map sensor and the air temp via iat in uicp on my logs.

Attachments

• run5.elg
    185.1 KB · Views: 40
  • run4milan.elg
    73.1 KB · Views: 45
  • run3milan.elg
    155 KB · Views: 36
  • run2milan.elg
    113.8 KB · Views: 38
  • run1milan.elg
    128.9 KB · Views: 47
  • lastmilan.elg
    153.2 KB · Views: 54
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back