The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FP 20g - 6SL2

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is interesting, this must be very new. Anyone know anything about it? I just bought the fp 18g 6sl2

I called about it. 3" compressor cover, 20g compressor wheel, TD06SL2 turbine wheel, etc. Another important thing: 360 heavy duty thrust bearing. Supposedly thrust failures are the nemesis of the 20g. Well this one is taken care of.

Last thing, FP stated they MIGHT do a group buy on this 20g. I'm holding out until they do. If they can do a group buy for $899 I'll be the first in line. I would personally stay away from the internal wastegate like the plague.

I saw the turbo on there website a week or 2 ago and I was scratching my head as to why they didn't just skip the 18g and offer this bad boy? maybe the exhaust side isn't big enough to max out that 20g compressor wheel? looks like a good combo though. can't beat there reputation either...

When I total up the cost of upgrading to a 20g, I get about $2150: $999 20g, $200 Tial 38mm, $299 02 housing recirc, $250 850cc injectors, $120 fuelpump, $120 FP4" intake pipe, $65 2g oild feed line, $50 Oil return line, $50 gaskets/etc.

Just slapping an 18g on is ALOT cheaper than a 20g. You could slap on an internal gated 20g for a little more, but to do it right its gonna cost.

When I total up the cost of upgrading to a 20g, I get about $2150: $999 20g, $200 Tial 38mm, $299 02 housing recirc, $250 850cc injectors, $120 fuelpump, $120 FP4" intake pipe, $65 2g oild feed line, $50 Oil return line, $50 gaskets/etc.

Just slapping an 18g on is ALOT cheaper than a 20g. You could slap on an internal gated 20g for a little more, but to do it right its gonna cost.

By your arguement, you might as well add in an EPROM ECU, DSMlink, FMIC, FPR, .......

You don't need the 4" inlet for that turbo. We ran 11.0 on the 20g internally gated. Counting injectors as part of a turbo upgrade isn't really applicable, many people might already have proper injectors. The standard mitsu oil return line is fine with a 20g. You can get an o2 housing for a 38 mm gate for less than $300. Obviously, the 20g would cost a bit more than throwing on a stock-appearing turbo, but the power gains would be well worth it. To this day, I've never seen another turbo with the same balance of power and spool as a 20g.

Is that not the same with any larger turbo though? Your pretty much saying it's not worth buying any larger turbo. If I was to get it heres my ist.

20g-999
Punishment o2-225
tial wasegate-225
Ive got everything else.

I need a different drain tube, I'm on a 2g. Intake pipe I want. The rest is all mandatory. I'm also going to have to budget in a rebuilt motor, and some cash for a tranny rebuild when I shatter the sorry excuse for a DSM tranny. When I total it all up I'm gonna need $5000 if I want to run a reliable 450 w.h.p. Then add in the cost of running high octane unleaded, etc. etc.

My point is made, RELIABLE long term 450 w.h.p. isn't going to happen without spending some coin. I never said it wasn't worth it, only illustrated to do it the way "I" think it should be done it isn't going to be cheap.

My point is made, RELIABLE long term 450 w.h.p. isn't going to happen without spending some coin. I never said it wasn't worth it, only illustrated to do it the way "I" think it should be done it isn't going to be cheap.

My car's got a bone stock 6 bolt and stock trans, made 457whp with basic bolt-ons - on pump. I consider it to be very reliable, just like my '93 was. Good tuning and driving goes a long way toward keeping stock parts from breaking.

Wow not even on a Holset or the Borg Warner turbo's?
;)

You've never driven Tort's 20g setup. It had TONS of torque as soon as you hit it, and it'd hold it's own with many larger setups up top. When it wasn't igniting all 4 drag radials it would bury you in the seat HARD. :rocks:

My car's got a bone stock 6 bolt and stock trans, made 457whp with basic bolt-ons - on pump. I consider it to be very reliable, just like my '93 was. Good tuning and driving goes a long way toward keeping stock parts from breaking.

You've never driven Tort's 20g setup. It had TONS of torque as soon as you hit it, and it'd hold it's own with many larger setups up top. When it wasn't igniting all 4 drag radials it would bury you in the seat HARD. :rocks:
I can believe it! The 20g turbo's were the official monsters with the tdo6 wheels back in the 90's.

His actually used a TD05H wheel heavily clipped. We later swapped to a TD06H hotside and the car was uncontrollable. Then between screwing with new tires, changing engine management, and drivetrain issues, we never got to the track to improve upon the old numbers, but the car was definitely faster. This new 20g from FP definitely sounds promising.

I wonder how this new fp20g-6SL2 compares to the fp3150. Spool time, cfm,. if its a hard hitting punch or more gradual lineal power increase. I'm rather curious on this.:sneaky:

Im not a huge fan of the stock style turbine housings, but the 20g is old school DSM heritage....It must be good enough to get that name.

If youre not under a huge budget, check out the FP30's.

The fp30s are very nice. Specially the turbine housing. In my opinion I don't think that tey are overpriced at all. But I would honestly like to see how well this new fp20g performs. If it has a better power delivery, more top end hp and all that and just the same if not better that the fp3150, then ofcourse I'll go fot this new fp20g. I read some reviews on the fp31 and it seems like a tough contender to beat. Even for the fp3052.

I thought the FP 31's were ball bearing turbo's. This 20g appears to be a journal bearing... No comparing things like that. ball bearing is better all around, minus price!

I thought the FP 31's were ball bearing turbo's. This 20g appears to be a journal bearing... No comparing things like that. ball bearing is better all around, minus price!

I thought about the FP3150 or the 20g/td06sl2. I've seen enough dyno graphs of ball bearing turbos to realize initial spoolup isn't improved much. I'd rather take a smaller quicker spooling journal bearing turbo over a ball bearing unit of larger size. Plus, FP's 20g comes with a 360* race thrust bearing which should greatly improve reliability. Ball bearing is also not rebuildable and the cartridge replacement cost isn't cheap.

Now, if they had a ball bearing 20g I'd be all over that:D

I thought about the FP3150 or the 20g/td06sl2. I've seen enough dyno graphs of ball bearing turbos to realize initial spoolup isn't improved much. I'd rather take a smaller quicker spooling journal bearing turbo over a ball bearing unit of larger size. Plus, FP's 20g comes with a 360* race thrust bearing which should greatly improve reliability. Ball bearing is also not rebuildable and the cartridge replacement cost isn't cheap.

Now, if they had a ball bearing 20g I'd be all over that:D

its the throttle response and boost recovery between shifts etc that you gain from it

BBs are worth it if your going max out, and have a killer setup

If not then your kinda just buying BBs to be cool and not using it for there reason

It's true BB's CHRA's aren't rebuildable. Perhaps the spool time isn't so bad on a smaller turbo. Wait to you buy a turbo that makes some power on c16 and the BB makes a huge difference (gt40 or gt42 variants).

When did you hear about this group buy? Any other information about it. Only if it was up on their website.

This 20g is rated at 650cfm? Their 18g is rated at 600cfm! Will 50cfm really make that much of a difference

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back