1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

first time doing a timing job

Posted by Jacobchavez6266, Oct 21, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. Jacobchavez6266

Jacobchavez6266 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 19, 2019
    Pascagoula, Mississippi
    I just want to make sure I i got it right before I put the engine in the car. No balance shafts 6 bolt block 7 bolt head

43885153-F662-44B7-A75D-87E8C6A6B676.jpeg 3B8403D5-4619-409C-BE97-B11A8A7CE32F.jpeg D5DCD3A7-E7C7-4E51-BE82-C9B450B1D286.jpeg

Street Build 167  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    392 whp · 268 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Jk's97DSM and import solutions like this.
  2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    You have to pull that pin before you can tell. Pull it. Rotate the motor six times then check protrusion of the tensioner. It’s go no go. If it’s within spec you’re done. Marks look right

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Oak Ridge, North Carolina
    With the timing dead on, once you pull the pin you'll be half a tooth off. Better to put the marks a little bit offset from each other and try again, otherwise looks great!

66  3

2015 Ford Edge Sport
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 4K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
  4. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    I'd like to hear more about this. I am in complete disagreement.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Mello likes this.
  5. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    When I pull my pin, my tensioner stays where it was along with every timing mark.
    Rotate six times back to all marks in time, wait 15 mins, pin should slide right back in. If not, rinse and repeat.......

Street Build 3K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

403  13

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

412  17

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 585  4

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
    steve likes this.
  6. streetraceboi

streetraceboi Proven Member

Joined Sep 4, 2002
    San Antonio, Texas
    Same.

7. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    That's not been my experience. If you put the belt on correctly it doesn't move when you release the pin. If it does you messed up and get to do it over.

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. Jacobchavez6266

Jacobchavez6266 Probationary Member

Joined Oct 19, 2019
    Pascagoula, Mississippi
    Rotated it about a dozen times let it sit over night and the pin still moves in and out freely thanks everyone for the help

Street Build 167  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    392 whp · 268 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Jk's97DSM likes this.
  9. Jk's97DSM

Jk's97DSM Proven Member

Joined Apr 27, 2006
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Trust me when I say the first time is a little nerve racking if you haven’t done it. Then if you mess up you get really proficient at it.

Street Build 384  1

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM
    steve likes this.
  10. CrackedDSM

CrackedDSM Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2009
    Oak Ridge, North Carolina
    Interesting. I have always had to leave the marks just a tiny bit offset because when I pull the pin the tension pulls them out just a bit. Are you guys using the timing kit that has the block to secure the cams or nah? Are you guys zip-tieing the belt down or preloading the belt somehow? I've never used the official timing kit or used anything to "hold" the belt tight, so maybe that's the disconnect? Idk.

I'm curious to know what semi-disagreeing would be. LOL. Or anything other than complete disagreement.

66  3

2015 Ford Edge Sport
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 4K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  11. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I use binder clips to hold my belt. I start at the exhaust cam. over the intake & around the oil pump to crank with no slack. I try to keep all the slack on the tensioner pulley side, torque & rotate so the grenade pin slides in & out when done. Nothing special for tools & the old elbow torque wrench to pull the slack out with the tensioner pulley.

12. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Per post 11 you take all the slack out of the firewall side. I use binder clips also. Nothing moves. I think you may have slack on the firewall side and that's why you see what you do. The final step I use is typically just rotate the exhaust cam a few degrees (with belt on) and then rotate crank back to mark. This takes all slack out of the firewall side, lines up all the marks and you're ready to set tension. Since the belt is clipped to the cam sprockets it doesn't slip.
    I've preached for years anybody doing this job shoudl never have to cross fingers, hope, wish etc. It's either right or it isn't and the mechanic should be 100% sure. It's so objective I don't see how anyobdy couldn't be. If it's wrong you just keep redoing it. My first attempt was a few hours. My second attempt a few minutes. I lost count after about 50 belts.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    BLACK'98DSM likes this.
  13. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    St. Charles, Illinois
    Nope, just a couple of binder clips to keep the belt from falling off as I work around the sprockets. The trip from my perspective is to rotate each sprocket backward a little to make getting the belt on the teeth easier and then moving it forward to ti's correct location to make sure it tight. Once you reach the tensioner pulley you take up what slack is left but every thing else is already tight and can't move.

The 4G63 is easy once you get the hang of it, the 6G72 is a pain in the butt trying to get the belt tight between the two banks and around the water pump between them. If your not careful you can wind up with an extra tooth of slack there.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019

3K  0

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 1G DSM
    Jk's97DSM likes this.