The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

First G50 Install.. W/Pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok.. I feel like a tard for this one. I was wondering why my car was studdering at idle sometimes. Thinkin it was my MAF... So I was driving today and it was quiet and I was next to a long wall.. So I gave it a lil gas and i heard i loud Hiss! sure enough my clamp on my intercooler pipe was loose!!! LOL WOOOOW good one Eric

turboglenn: Thats some nice numbers man :thumb: ya im sure you could have got alot more out of her man..

Killa_dsm
Thanks bro :thumb: Ya Im glad I went from the head myself.. I will be sure to keep you guys posted.. My PTE 1000s just arrived :sneaky: Now just waiting on my AFPR and Fuel Feed Upgrade kit

Next mod should be the AWD swap so you can use the first 3 gears after you dyno with your new setup. :thumb:

Next mod should be the AWD swap so you can use the first 3 gears after you dyno with your new setup. :thumb:

LOL LOL LOL :thumb: ya ya ya i know.. I would so rather just find a GSX LOL.. But with the money i just spent on this setup.. Cant spend anymore for a while..that is.. till after my tune :hellyeah:

Soooo.. in the mean time.. ima go put my injectors and AFPR in now.. haha :thumb:

Waiting for numbers.

I will tell you that 25psi and 20psi are way different with the G50 with everything else in the tune being equal. My car pulls so much harder with just the 5 more psi.

Wow.. really?? Not touching the 20psi tune you turned it to 25?? Do you think mine will be able to handle 25 on pump Lol??? i was planning on bringing some race gas.. But dont think ima have the extra money ya know...i have stock bottom end (7 bolt) around 80k on it.. well takin care of.. MLS headgasket and a set of ARPs is what i have head wise... thanks man

Nope. California 91 won't take 25PSI unless you severely retard timing. Normally around 18-20PSI is the max on California 91 with decent timing.

Very nice setup man. It's very clean looking. I'm just surprised you had to dent the water pipe for a 50Trim. I didn't have to on my ported TO4E cover (like the FP3052). Probably just the positioning on the exhaust housing.

Good luck getting 350hp on the dyno man!

Wow.. really?? Not touching the 20psi tune you turned it to 25?? Do you think mine will be able to handle 25 on pump Lol??? i was planning on bringing some race gas.. But dont think ima have the extra money ya know...i have stock bottom end (7 bolt) around 80k on it.. well takin care of.. MLS headgasket and a set of ARPs is what i have head wise... thanks man

I just put it to 25psi when I got it together and changed the stock tune via my dsmlink on 93 octane. After I got it tuned I turned the boost down to 20psi just to be safe, I quickly turned it back up because of the difference in power. This is on a stock bottom end with arp head studs and Mitsubishi composite gasket. Keep in mind I have 7.8:1 compression compared to your 8.5:1 though. And I have the bigger rods since it is a 6bolt. I would suggest to have them start at 20psi and turn it up if it doesn't knock. My peak timing is at 16 or 17* with 25psi too.

Ya i figured i couldnt run 25 on cali pump piss gas LOL.. Maybe ill run some conservitive timing an run 22... That was my plan.. I only got 13* total timing on my 16g with pump gas 91oct at 21 psi... If i can get more timing on this turbo like 16-17* ill leave it at 21psi.. But if for some reason i can only get 13* ill try and get it to 22-23 psi with no knock..

Ok.. so i finished my AFPR and PTE 1000cc injector install.. Car runs Great! :hellyeah: Set base F/P to 43.5 well as close as I could with the Vacume line off.. Is it supposed to drop when you hook up the line?? I never installed one before.. Any input would be nice :thumb:

Here are some pictures..

Attachments

• AFPR2.bmp
    441.1 KB · Views: 709
  • AFPR3.bmp
    441.1 KB · Views: 719
  • AFPR.bmp
    441.1 KB · Views: 718
Yes, it is supposed to drop when you hook up the vacuum line if the engine is in vacuum.

That is kinda low timing :hmm:. How's the condition of the knock sensor?

Ya.. thats what Sean at full function said... the knock sensor is brand new OEM torqued to 16ft lbs.. When it did knock it was from only 1* across from i think 4000rpm up... was seein like 1.2* it was pulling.. then took 1* off.. 0 knock.. so he left it.. I hope with this setup ill not run into this timing problem

Yes, it is supposed to drop when you hook up the vacuum line if the engine is in vacuum.

Ok.. Thanks bro :thumb: Now the build is complete... Whole new setup ready for NICE tune :rocks: I cant wait.. I should be going in a few weeks... the LONGEST few weeks ever!!

That is a very clean installation kit. Mind if I ask where you got that one from?

And about your timing. It is strange. My best guess would be either something about the dyno, or your compression. Either way, do a compression check before so you know where you stand engine internal wise. You could ask the guys at FF to go do a quick street tune right after to see if the knock still comes up. And if you want to run higher boost, look into meth injection kits. You'll be able to run more boost (not A LOT but more) more efficiently. Plus it cleans your engine LOL.

Thanks bro.. Got the complete kit from ExtremePSI.com 240 bucks.. And i think like 50 bucks for the feed line kit as well..

Ya.. Ill have to do a compression check.. Maybe ill do that now.. Where should i be at compression wise for my engine to be considered good?? And I have heard that the Evo3 16gs can be knock happy from time to time.. Plus i didnt have an AFPR then.. which would help alot i think.. Im gonna be postive when it comes down to D day.. I think i will be able to get the timing in it this time. :thumb:

Ok.. just got done with the compression check.. They were all around 170 except #4 was 160... Is this bad?? or will she surrvive!!!?? any input is appreciated :thumb:

Eric

It could be carbon deposits on the intake/exhaust valves. Same problem I had, was down about 11% leakage on one cylinder, compression test also was down. Did a thorough cylinder cleaning using "Deep Creep" foam running thru both the PCV port and then the fuel pressure vacuum port in the intake manifold. That brought the cylinder leakage back up around 5% and the compression test all the way back up identical to the other cylinders. Give it a try.

It could be carbon deposits on the intake/exhaust valves. Same problem I had, was down about 11% leakage on one cylinder, compression test also was down. Did a thorough cylinder cleaning using "Deep Creep" foam running thru both the PCV port and then the fuel pressure vacuum port in the intake manifold. That brought the cylinder leakage back up around 5% and the compression test all the way back up identical to the other cylinders. Give it a try.

The thing is.. About 5k miles ago my timing belt asentric pully came loose and swung down causing it to give slack to the timing belt.. then SLIP! bent all my intake valves :banghead: so i pulled the head.. sent it in to my machine shop. Everything is 100 brand new.. valves, seals, guides, cleaned and presure tested.. I mean the works man.. so it cant be deposit that fast.. I think it will be all good when dyno day comes.. For some reason im feeling confident in my installl and work on the good old DSM :thumb:

But thanks bro for the input.. Its much appreciated man :thumb:

No problem. I personally could not measure a difference in power output after bringing the cylinder up to spec compression, but it made me feel better:D. Nice ride by the way:thumb:

Not yet bro.. Im tryin to save up the money to get her tuned.. but its hard.. Hope to get her tuned in the next two weeks.. I will for sure keep you all posted.. :thumb:

Not yet bro.. Im tryin to save up the money to get her tuned.. but its hard.. Hope to get her tuned in the next two weeks.. I will for sure keep you all posted.. :thumb:

Well best of luck for saving! I hope you hit that 350 WHP mark. That is what I am hoping to achieve on pump gas. I am probably going to start with 15 psi and eliminate all of the knock if any. I'm hoping to run about 23 psi on pump and see where that will get me.

Before I installed the speed density setup I was rocking it with an AFCII (ghetto tune) and it pulled pretty hard with about 18-20 psi. My crappy internal gate wasn't opening so I had to hold it half throttle LOL. It was a blast though. As you know I haven't gotten it tuned on the new tuning setup so needless to say I can't wait.

Hurry up and dyno already :rocks:

Yeah.. Thanks man. :thumb: Im hoping for next week bro.. If not then the following week.. gotta stack first LOL.. My buddy has a gt30r and only put down 350 awhp at FFTEC.. so kinda shot down my dreams of 350.. maybe 320 or so.. still 65 more hp than last time.. :D

hey i just put down 380whp at fftec on 25psi.
I did 300 on my baseline with 19psi and the car was running SUPER rich, check the dyno forum, i posted up the graphs there.

You should be able to get 350 with your setup. Then bring it out to infineon or sac cmi with us!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back