The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

SBR G50 install with pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blcknspo0ln

DSM Wiseman
Jul 31, 2003
Central, New_Jersey
I decided to go ahead and upgrade my evo 3 16G to a 50 trim and carefully chose out the slowboyracing G50 turbo. I have done a lot of business with SBR before so I decided to go to them for the setup. I spoke to MRL [Matt] over the phone and also Cragger when ordering my stuff. total came to 1000 shipped EVEN. this was for the turbo and EVERYTHING required to mount/install the turbo. new bolts/washers/gaskets/oil lines/etc.

The best part is that SBR helped me out with price matching the RS49T offered by AGP. Although the price wasn't as good, Matt hooked me up with a turbonetics compressor cover [already polished] at no extra charge. Would have been nice if they price matched entirely, but I'm not one to bi*** about price.

That said, it shipped pretty quickly [about 5 business days] and the turbo came to my house all nice and packaged neatly.

Now, here's exactly what went on with this particular install and I have pics too :)

-1G TB to 2G swap
-port matched 2G Intake Manifold
-50 trim install
-new stock foggers
-new crankpulley and belts
-tapped manifold runner for EGT, then plugged off for now
-rewired my existing 190 fuel pump
-slimline fan + use of stock wiring harness!

Attachments

• ThelmaE03.jpg
    ThelmaE03.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 813
  • ThelmaE25.jpg
    ThelmaE25.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 828
  • TBshot.jpg
    TBshot.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 833
  • slimlinebracket.jpg
    slimlinebracket.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 824
  • stockfanharness.jpg
    stockfanharness.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 818
now here are some problems I ran across:

-Denting the water pipe; I had to do it since I didn't have the time to clock the turbo and remount the internal gate. the internal gate is bolted on with one of the comp. housing bolts.

-Since I couldn't clock the turbo, the outlet was pointing directly at the crossmember/motor mount. This was remedied by a 90* coupler, you can see that pretty clearly in the slimline fan pic above.

-I thought I had everything all gravy and ready to go, when my motor sounds like ROD KNOCK.. it literally sounded like the crank was scraping against something inside the block OMG . a guy from NJDSM came by and helped me out and we determined it was an old crank pulley. from the following pics.. you will see that it WAS the crank pulley. :notgood:

-The TB is still out of phase. I have no idleing problems, but my car will die if I let off throttle too quickly. This is due to the TPS. It reads ~4.5k/~1.5 instead of ~5k/.9K. take it from me and CHECK IT WHEN THE TB IS OFF THE CAR

Attachments

• ThelmaE21.jpg
    ThelmaE21.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 777
  • ThelmaE04.jpg
    ThelmaE04.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 759
  • 90 coupler.jpg
    90 coupler.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 760
  • oldcrankpulley.jpg
    oldcrankpulley.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 753
  • pulleycomparison.jpg
    pulleycomparison.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 750
  • sidesidepulleys.jpg
    sidesidepulleys.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 735
I had a SBR G60-1 and loved it. The compressor housing outlet ran into the motor mount weird like that too. What I used was the stock upper intercooler pipe (connects to TB), and it was the perfect angle to get around the mount and go straight out to the passenger side.

Stapl3 said:
I had a SBR G60-1 and loved it. The compressor housing outlet ran into the motor mount weird like that too. What I used was the stock upper intercooler pipe (connects to TB), and it was the perfect angle to get around the mount and go straight out to the passenger side.

I guess you didn't notice your own intake pipe, eh? :thumb:

*edit* nevermind you did, haha

Looks good. I really enjoyed my SBR G50 for the first 1700 miles, that is until it developed enough shaft play and needed to be rebuilt. ;) Oh and it was really great too for the next 900 miles, alot of fun. Too bad it needs rebuilt again... :thumb: Good Luck!

Devicex said:
Looks good. I really enjoyed my SBR G50 for the first 1700 miles, that is until it developed enough shaft play and needed to be rebuilt. ;) Oh and it was really great too for the next 900 miles, alot of fun. Too bad it needs rebuilt again... :thumb: Good Luck!

thanks for raining on my day :( Sorry you had bad luck, hopefully I won't have teh same. I see you have a PTE turbo now, did you make the switch?

LOL good eye, it's my sister's BABY BLUE scion. I have no idea when toyota is going to offer a turbo kit for the car, and I highly doubt that my sister is going to want a turbocharged tC.. seeing how my DSM is ROFL

blcknspo0ln said:
thanks for raining on my day :( Sorry you had bad luck, hopefully I won't have teh same. I see you have a PTE turbo now, did you make the switch?

take care of it and it wont happen, turbo time the shit out of it, I've had my car for 25k miles of its life, and beofr eI had it it had a small 16g on it, its still running strong with no shaft play at all due to the fact that im a mainteneace and turbotiming whore.

Nice little write up. Why the 1g to 2g tb swap? Hopefully the coupler holds up on that angle without leaking. The water pipe denting is normal for that turbo. Good luck with it.

So how much faster is it compared to the 16g? Night and day or just some more umph?

1g TB is 60mm versus 2g TB which is 52mm.. more topend.

that POS fernco coupler has already melted.. a 90* replacement with t-bolts are coming in the mail hopefully today, I dont have any fear that it will seal properly.

is the 50 trim faster? I couldn't tell you that yet since I've only went WOT at 10 psi. Felt strong and the lag wasn't THAT bad.. I'll have feedback when I turn it up to 20 and log a little bit.

I have the utmost confidence that this 50 trim will kick my evo316g's ass :D

blcknspo0ln said:
I have the utmost confidence that this 50 trim will kick my evo316g's ass :D

Going from a Evo 3 16g to a 50trim and keeping everything else the same(boost level etc.) I gained 4/10ths and 2mph in the quater, I also had a big boost leak with the 50 trim so I am sure the gain is even bigger.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back