1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

GVR-4 EVO III trans in Galant

Posted by LumpyVR4, Jul 13, 2020

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4 Supporting Member

Joined May 21, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    I can get my hands on a new evo III trans and before I drop several thousand bucks I thought I'd check to see if I missed anything in my research or if something I think I can do I can't. So as far as I have found I have to swap in my stock shift linkages because if you just connect the VR4 shifter it won't get all the gears. I also have to change the final drive to match the factory transfer case and read diff. Anyone know any different?

I'm getting a 4 spider center and front LSD for it too, but that not really relevant here.

Street Build 494  6

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  2. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If you get the viscous front LSD, you need the matching axle cup and ring gear. You use all of the open diff stuff if you're going with a plated-type diff. As long as you have the correct transfer case to match the front ring gear, it should be okay (and to match the spline count of the output shaft).

3. LumpyVR4

LumpyVR4 Supporting Member

Joined May 21, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    The box itself is open center. I'm planning on a Cusco RS 1 way LSD. I have somehow ended up with a collection of transfer cases. Have to check I have the right one.

Street Build 494  6

1990 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4

Street Build 2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  4. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    I think it should be fine if you use everything from your GVR4, the shifter base, cables, cable mount, bracket and selector arms.
    As for the t-case, if you want to use the EVO 3 front ring gear, you would need a 14 turn t-case. If you use your GVR4's front ring gear, you would be able to use the 12 turn t-case that you have on your GVR4 if the t-case has 23 spline, so no need to look for a 14 turn t-case.
    In case if your GVR4's trans is a KM225, then you have a 22 spline output shaft unless it has been swapped with 23 spline, so you would need a t-case with 23 spline either 12 or 14 turn. Or swap the output shaft to match the t-case.

Drag Race Build 2K  3

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 2K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    nismojones likes this.