The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

EVO III Tranny

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunt

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 7, 2003
Federal Way, Washington
Ok..besides maybe being lucky and finding an EVO III tranny in a wrecking yard, where can I buy a used/new tranny? Dealer no.

Since the EVO 3 was never even sold here, you're not going to find one in a wrecking yard. You'll probably need to get one imported, most likely with a JDM motor. But why would youeven need this transmission? It doesn't mount up to a DSM, and who says its any stronger than what we've got?

an EVO III? They use the same motor as the DSMs do. It will bolt up, and it is stronger, not that I know from fact but I have been reading about them.
EVO III used the same motors as the DSMs.

Isn't the transmission on the driver's side of the car on the EVO's?

The newer EVOs, but up to EVO III, it was on the same side as the DSMs

The final gear ratio is different on the EVO's, so unless it's got the rear end with it, it's useless.

Why useless? So you have a higher top speed? lower top speed? and if you got the tranny, I am sure it would be just as easy to pull the rear end with it ;)

Originally posted by Brunt
Why useless? So you have a higher top speed? lower top speed? and if you got the tranny, I am sure it would be just as easy to pull the rear end with it ;)

Uh, AWD has two "final drives".

One for the front, and one for the rear.

You'll blow center diffs all day long with an EVO3 tranny. Getting a rear end isn't very easy, considering most chop shops just sell motor/tranny and maybe a transfer case.

You're in Washington, and EVO3's were never even sold in the USA. Good luck finding an EVO3 rear end in a US wrecking yard. Or you're well versed in Japanese and want to go on a wild goose chase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back