The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Using a EVO III Transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALP584

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 9, 2003
VirginiaUS
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a *TRUE* EVO III Transmission and matching transfer case for 300$ and I was wondering since I know that the gearing is different what I would need to do, to make it work in my 1991 AWD Talon. I good a good deal on it and I did some research on it but I do know that there is a easy way to make it work by using some parts out of my 1g tranny to make it work instead of looking for a EVO III Rear DIff.

The Evo III transmissions have three mounts vs. our 1G's only have one. This tranny will not work with a 1g without custom modifications, but will never bolt up. Also custom driveshafts are needed. I would be interseted in purchasing this tranny and matching transfer case for my 2G if you decide to sell it. PM me if you are interested.

There is nothing too special about making this work in a 1g. You can use a 2g transmission in a 1g but not a 1g in a 2g. With that said all I did was use the existing mount holes on the evo 3 tranny got the ring and pinion swapped out and I did have to play around a bit with the shifter cable brackets but it works flawlessly now.:thumb:

There is nothing too special about making this work in a 1g. You can use a 2g transmission in a 1g but not a 1g in a 2g. With that said all I did was use the existing mount holes on the evo 3 tranny got the ring and pinion swapped out and I did have to play around a bit with the shifter cable brackets but it works flawlessly now.:thumb:

Pictures????

I do not own a camera so pics I cannot supply but since I see that we have NEWBIES here go contact Modern Automotive Performance and ask them if it is possible at all, and ill give you :thumb:belongs to KYLE is running a evo 3 tranny he is the one who gave me tips on how to do this. I did my research on this and have it in my 2.4L 1g awd talon it is very possible to do, just give them a call they will be able to assist you.

EDIT: Ill give you a hint their BLUE SHOP TALON is running a evo 3 tranny, the car belongs to KYLE that works there

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back