The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Evo 8 pistons and rods in 2g N/T 4g63 block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hey everybody. I've got some evo 8 pistons and rods I'm planning on putting in this N/T block. Everything else on the car is setup for turbo. My main concern with this is that the N/T block has no oil squirters. I've heard of people running without them, but I couldn't find any specific examples of this paricular block/piston/rod combo with respect to oil squirters.

Also, can anybody give me a good answer as to what my compression ratio will be with this setup? I've searched results ranging from 8.15:1 to 8.8:1.

N/A blocks are higher compression to help with power so going to turbo pistons will lower this and loose power. They lower the ratio to turbo it but can be used but lower boost. So you will have to figure this out to either try and get the same ratio or deal with the loss and power loss.

Normally the evo pistons are put in backwards to clear the valve releif in the pistons and some have had no issues running them the right way but as i dont know much on this part search here as i do remember something about this being talk about alot more in detail. https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/any-2gs-with-evo-pistons.311850/

And if yoir staying NA then installing turbo pistons done mean you need squirters unless your plan is to go turbo in the future? If not then no squirters is fine

Hey everybody. I've got some evo 8 pistons and rods I'm planning on putting in this N/T block. Everything else on the car is setup for turbo. My main concern with this is that the N/T block has no oil squirters. I've heard of people running without them, but I couldn't find any specific examples of this paricular block/piston/rod combo with respect to oil squirters.
Without oil squirters wouldn't probably be a big problem unless it's for circuit racing, rally or some long run with boosting. If you install the EVO 4-9 pistons properly on a DSM, the intake valves would have smaller exhaust valve reliefs. So I would be concerned more about the piston to valve clearance. If you are planning to rev higher than the stock rev limit by upgrading to more agressive cams, I would recommend to make sure to have safe piston to valve clearance while you are building the engine.
If you are not sure about how to check the clearance, just go with OEM style pistons or aftermarket forged pistons for our early 4g63 rather than using the EVO pistons by trimming valve reliefs. That would be easier and safer.

Also, can anybody give me a good answer as to what my compression ratio will be with this setup? I've searched results ranging from 8.15:1 to 8.8:1.
The compression ration would depend on your setup. If the head and the block still have the original factory height and if you use a standard .051" cometic MLS, the static compression ratio would probably be approximately 8.3:1 with this combo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Turns out I accidentally bought some eagle rods, so I might end up ditching these pistons and getting forged ones, not sure.

Does that block have the spot tapped for a knock sensor? I have seen some that do not. Myself and a few other local guys run our 7 bolts with oil squinters deleted and the feed of the mains tapped and plugged on the street without issues. My rods are from Whalen speed and have a machined spot in them so the oil that is pushed out from the rod will try to shoot upward toward the piston anyway.

The block does have a spot tapped for a knock sensor, I totally though it was a turbo block when I bought the car, but it looks like everything externally has been modified properly for boost

You will be 100% fine with that block then and i would not worry about the squirters unless it was going to be ran hard for long periods.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back