The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Evo 8 CP Pistons 2G Block

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb1320

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2011
Calgary, AB_Canada
I have searched and found some conflicting answers on whether or not aftermarket pistons (in this case CP) from an Evo 8 can be run in a 2G block without modifying the valve reliefs. I know a few guys running oem evo 8 pistons with no issues, is it the same for aftermarket pistons. I got a smoking deal on a set of CP pistons and Eagle rods from an Evo 8 for my 97 TSi build. Can I make them work with minimal effort or am I better off reselling them.

Thanks in advance

P.S. If they would work should I get evo 8 bearings or 2g Bearings? Also which piston rings?

Them working or not depends on the cams really. If you have an aggressive cam, the valves might hit the pistons. Personally, I'd just sell the pistons and get the correct ones. 9 times out of 10 half a$$ing something isn't worth it. Just my 2 cents. The bearings would be for a 2g, and the rings are the same for 2g and EVO because the piston is aftermarket. (CP makes the rings to the piston, not to the car, like OEM).

Here are some pictures, the pistons are en route so I can't measure it to be sure but it looks like the valve reliefs are the same for intake and exhaust. Not sure though, what do you guys think.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just make sure the little dot or triangle points to the front of the engine

What is the part number on the pistons?

isnt the part numbers the same , ermm

Well I would hope its the same part number on all 4 pistons in the block.

I wanted to know what the part number is, since it is not posted nor can it be seen in the pics.

The arrow should point to the opposite direction of the timing belt when using evo pistons in a 2g motor. Exhaust valves is still in the front of both engines and intake valves are on the rear of both engines but the timing belts are on opposite sides. Just make sure the big reliefs are on the intake side.

As for bearings 7bolt bearings are 7 bolt bearings whether they are evo or dsm makes no difference.

The arrow should point to the opposite direction of the timing belt when using evo pistons in a 2g motor. Exhaust valves is still in the front of both engines and intake valves are on the rear of both engines but the timing belts are on opposite sides. Just make sure the big reliefs are on the intake side.

As for bearings 7bolt bearings are 7 bolt bearings whether they are evo or dsm makes no difference.

I thought you couldn't point the pistons that way because of the pin offset. Thats just what I read on a few other threads. I don't think the valves will interfere because the cp pistons have deeper reliefs for both intake and exhaust, and I don't plan on running anything too aggressive for cams.

Doesn't really matter though, I think I am going to sell them.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back