The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Eproms ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGGSIE

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2003
Hartwick, New_York
Why is it that we don't know what year 1G's have Eproms and which ones do not? I have a 90' TSI AWD 5sp and I read that I can only swap it with another 90' AWD 5sp. If that is the case then I can't get a EPROM ECU to work in my car??? And what's the deal with a 95'? Sorry but this is confusing as hell:cry: Does anyone know if I can get a EPROM to work in my 90'? Also I have a 95' TSI AWD 5sp can I use that ECU in my 90'? If so what can I use in the 95'?? I want to put a chip in my 90' but can't figure this whole ECU thing out. Any ideas??

i am not 100% positive, but pretty sure i am right. so since no one else has answered you i will try to help

i think you can only install a eprom ecu into a second generation dsm, because the first gens have a differant type.

the eprom ecu's were only put into the 95's and not even all the 95's got them.

in other words i think your sh!t outa luck, but at least you probly have one in your 95.

Originally posted by BIGGSIE
And what's the deal with a 95'?

From the reading I have done, I would suppose that the reason that only some of the 95's have EPROMs would be due to new model year issues. Gettting the car to market before they had stabalized the ECU, or taken delivery of the chips perhaps?

Your 90 should have an eprom ecu in there already. Anyway, it is possible to use a later year ecu in the car - even a 2g one like your 95. There's somebody on the board who has a 2g ecu with dsmlink running in their 1g.

So you think my 90' has a EPROM? I have a 91' GSX parts car and that ECU does not have one. Do you think I can use a 90' or 91' non-eprom in my 95' ?? Thanks for all the help guys/girls.

You can use a 1g ECU in any other 1g, although you have to switch two wires for the 90's.

You can use any 2g turbo ECU in a 2g, but 95's are the only ones to come with EPROMs, and not all of them did.

You can use a 1g ECU in a 2g, or a 2g ECU in a 1g, but you will spend many many hours making an adaptor harness to do it.

You can't guarantee that any year has an EPROM, you have to open up the ECU to find out.

Ok so here is your answer. The 90 are a weird year with many things being 90 only. The ECU is one of those. There were some 90 EPROMS but they are super rare. i know becasue it took me 4 months to find one and it cost me 400 bucks with the stock chip. You can make the swap between the 90 and 91-94 but you have to switch 2 wires and then fiddle with the tach becasue it has a different filter that the 91-94. I believe I still have the diagram to do this if you need it. As far as the 91-94 ERPOMS go it is hit and miss. Some have them some don't. You just have to find one that has it and put what ever chip you want in it. All the 2G's wont fit in a 1G unless you make an adapter and that looks like a PIA. I do think that it would be cool to use DSMlink in a 1G However so this may be something I look into for my Talon. As most have said only 95's had the EPROM and not all of them, again hit and miss. I hope all this made sense. If you have more questions feel free to email me or hit me up on AIM.

Michael
:laser: :talon:

[email protected]
hissviper

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back