The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Eproms, ECU's, and GM MAFs, oh my!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkelly27

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2007
Gresham, Oregon
I guess my post count is to noob to post in the tuning section, so I'll put all this here and hope the eprom gurus pick up on it. I also have no idea what I'd put into the search engine to dig up all the info I need.

Ok, so first I need to know which eprom ECU's will work with the turbo 4G63 engine. I know I have a '90 ECU and they are getting rare, so I'd like to swap to a 91+ eprom ECU and coil pack from the junkyard or the classified section. I'd swap it over, make sure it ran, and then chop the chip out and run a stock ecu binary in it. That way I'd know it was nothing I'd done to the ECU's code that would have caused errors and if I blew up the '91+ I could still swap back to the '90 units and go play.

Will any 4G63 ecu work if I change the eprom? I.E. Turbo, non turbo, AWD, FWD, ATX, MTX, will they all play nice with the turbo awd mtx binary? I think I read they would, but I'd like to make sure from someone who knew or had done it before.

The second thing I'd like to know is if any of you had swapped over to a GM MAF using the stock ECU. No MAFT, no DSMlink, just the code you've changed and setup to run the GM MAF. and swapping the wires. If so, send me a PM, I'd like to pick your brain... or steal your binaries!

I'm on the ECU tuning yahoo group, but they are more development minded, so I'd rather not bug them with simple "will it fit" questions.

If you have links to the info I need, I'll be more than happy to read them than to have you re-type it all out here.

Thanks in advance!

I guess my post count is to noob to post in the tuning section, so I'll put all this here and hope the eprom gurus pick up on it. I also have no idea what I'd put into the search engine to dig up all the info I need.

Ok, so first I need to know which eprom ECU's will work with the turbo 4G63 engine. I know I have a '90 ECU and they are getting rare, so I'd like to swap to a 91+ eprom ECU and coil pack from the junkyard or the classified section. I'd swap it over, make sure it ran, and then chop the chip out and run a stock ecu binary in it. That way I'd know it was nothing I'd done to the ECU's code that would have caused errors and if I blew up the '91+ I could still swap back to the '90 units and go play.

Will any 4G63 ecu work if I change the eprom? I.E. Turbo, non turbo, AWD, FWD, ATX, MTX, will they all play nice with the turbo awd mtx binary? I think I read they would, but I'd like to make sure from someone who knew or had done it before.

The second thing I'd like to know is if any of you had swapped over to a GM MAF using the stock ECU. No MAFT, no DSMlink, just the code you've changed and setup to run the GM MAF. and swapping the wires. If so, send me a PM, I'd like to pick your brain... or steal your binaries!

I'm on the ECU tuning yahoo group, but they are more development minded, so I'd rather not bug them with simple "will it fit" questions.

If you have links to the info I need, I'll be more than happy to read them than to have you re-type it all out here.

Thanks in advance!
Steve the wiseman is probably the best person to talk to about this. If he doesn't chime in, pm him.

Here is some information on swapping from 90 to 91 ecus: http://www.dsmchips.com/1990ecu.html

You'll want a 1g Talon/Eclipse/Laser or even Galant GVR4 eprom ecu. Automatic vs. manual tranny doesn't matter as long as you flash in the correct code for your car. The automatic ecus are compensated for different injectors than the manuals. Just use the e931 code from the yahoo group when you do your code. It has some advantages over the stock 90s code base. FWD vs AWD shouldn't matter, but that's the only one I'm not sure of. You'll want a turbo ecu because it has the knock sensor board. You can technically graft a knock board from a turbo ecu onto a non turbo ecu, but it's a lot of work.

A GM MAF won't work directly inputted into a stock 1g ecu. The frequency output from the GM MAF is quite a bit higher than the 1gs karman mafs. There was talk of doing the conversion in the code, I just don't think people have done it. There is a forum that has converted the stock ecus to a speed density system, though. There's a lot of tuning involved when going that route, though.

Hope this helps.

OH! I found it. If you are going from a turbo ecu, you have to go to a turbo ECU. The other details work themselves out in the code and the swapping of the spark stuffs.

I saw the excel files, I guess you could probably put that polynomial into an unused section of the code if you were super clever, just like the if and thens with the stutterbox and no lift to shift. I'm not that clever yet though :D Maybe if I wind up with another screaming deal on a dead DSM I'll give the GM MAF stuff a shot with my friend whose a CS major.

Yeah, I'm more comfortable in speed density, all my other cars are, but I like the idea of a MAF for simplicity's sake. Maybe I'll just do the real easy EPROM 2G MAF conversion and make my BOV recirculate like I should...

Thanks for the links and the advice!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back