The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMLink v3 lite speed density

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedTT91

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2004
Elysburg, Pennsylvania
I have decided that i am going to purchase ECMLink v3 lite. The only thing i am not sure about is which way to go with it. MAF or MAP. right now i am running a VPC/GCC so i dont have a maf so i would have to buy one. I was thinking i would just go with speed density. Is one better to tune with than the other or more reliable? anyone who is running v3 with SD? any advice would be appriciated

also do u have to purchase ECMlink to be able to use their forum?

Basically, if your getting link, your going SD. That's mostly the point now that V3 is out.
SD you will only need a 3 bar map sensor and an IAT sensor. The rest is up to tuning.
Also a wideband of course.
Forums are customer only(at least from what I remember from years ago), but since your buying it you will have access anyway.

this is a tough choice. I like the price of light but you dont have the fuel adjustments and timing adjustments as v3 as far i as could see. is it really worth spending the extra $150 for v3 compared to lite? Im not to skilled per say as to tuning, but i just planed on taking to a dyno and have it professionally tuned. can you get as good a tune on lite as you can on the full version

this is a tough choice. I like the price of light but you dont have the fuel adjustments and timing adjustments as v3 as far i as could see. is it really worth spending the extra $150 for v3 compared to lite? Im not to skilled per say as to tuning, but i just planed on taking to a dyno and have it professionally tuned. can you get as good a tune on lite as you can on the full version

Google ds-map and read up on it.

Actually, its $250 more for the full v3 version. With v3Lite you still have full 3D Direct Access to the timing and AFR cells. Its the easier GUI RPM-based sliders, etc that v3Lite is lacking. But, the Direct Access is the better way to tune anyway, IMO, as you aren't affecting that rpm at every boost level.
The other big difference between v3 Lite and the full version is that the maps stop at 8000 rpm and only 23psi in v3Lite. So, if you are tuning at 29psi on the top map, that map is used for just about everything from 23psi and above. But, if you are like most daily DSM drivers, you don't run higher than 8000 rpm and 25psi, so its not much of a limitation. But, if you are considering running E85 and 30+ psi, you may want to just save up and get the full version, IMO.

Basically, if your getting link, your going SD. That's mostly the point now that V3 is out.
Most people, myself included, still run a MAF-based system even though SD is an option. SD works fine, but so does a MAF sensor and many people find it easier to deal with.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

basically im trying to decide if i should just buy a maf and be done with it or get the parts for SD. eitherway i have to purchase them so maf or map?

i am going to be running around 25psi but probably wont be up to 8000rpm

i am going to be running around 25psi but probably wont be up to 8000rpm
Personally, I'd run a MAS. And if piping allows, I'd run a 2G DSM or EVO8 MAS. Dead simple dial in (if any), never changes, easily handles 25psi, etc., etc. No question in my mind.

Thomas Dorris
ECMTuning, Inc.

i know this is a stupid question but ive been running SD for sale long i forget but can you run vented BOV with either of those maf's?

i know this is a stupid question but ive been running SD for sale long i forget but can you run vented BOV with either of those maf's?
You "CAN" vent with any maf. The proper way is with a gm maf or SD.

Personally I am still running a stock 2g maf and I will be going to SD. Only reason for me going SD is because at 22psi I'm outflowing the 2g maf. So SD makes sense. Most people won't outflow the 2g maf (most people with smaller turbos) and as Tom said it's so much easier to tune.

Also as stated in above post, its not true that the lite version is more for SD than MAF correct. I will mostly be running 25psi but at the track ill probably turn it up to 28psi so i wanna make sure that i wont outflow the maf. Isnt there a program in ECMlink that compensates for if you run a vented BOV with a maf? I would like to keep my Tial and piping

Also as stated in above post, its not true that the lite version is more for SD than MAF correct. I will mostly be running 25psi but at the track ill probably turn it up to 28psi so i wanna make sure that i wont outflow the maf. Isnt there a program in ECMlink that compensates for if you run a vented BOV with a maf? I would like to keep my Tial and piping

You can't do SD with v3 lite. Only with the full version.
We can't say that you will or won't outflow the 2g maf at X amount of boost. Every car is different. All depends on your setup. Just watch your maf/MafComp and see what it goes up to. I would take the 2g maf up to 2600-2700hz no higher.
Anywho tial bov and 2g maf are fine. I have been running mine for years.

yeah v3lite can be used with SD. What hz does the 2g mas max out at? would the 2g or evo mas be better

yeah v3lite can be used with SD. What hz does the 2g mas max out at? would the 2g or evo mas be better
We have a page up about it here:

MAF Limits

Isnt there a program in ECMlink that compensates for if you run a vented BOV with a maf?
The full version provides a function called Idle Air Clamp that actually can be configured to provide the compensation you need for this. But it's not in the lite version.

In addition, the full version provides a function call MAF Clamp that allows you to switch off a MAF that's about to over run and extrapolate airflow based on RPM and a crude VE estimate. The MAF Clamp function is one of the cooler yet under utilized functions in V3, IMO. Anthony Niemczyk ran his 2G into the 9s with a bone stock (unhacked) 2G MAF using MAF Clamp...

Combine MAF clamp with something like an EVO8 MAF and you're really set.

Thomas Dorris

first off, tom thanks for all your advice and help. I would love to get the full version but i just dont have the funds for it right now. Would i have problems running a evo8 maf with a vented bov? I would like to just off with the lite version and a few months down the road upgrade to the full but i just wanna make sure that running Evo8 MAF would work vented with the lite version.
thanks for all your help. this is a big purchase so i wanna make sure i get the correct setup for it

Would i have problems running a evo8 maf with a vented bov?
That, I can't answer. Some people run it without issue, others have issues they can't live with and others have issues they just ignore.

Thomas Dorris

thats not what i was hoping you were gonna say haha. i guess ill have to just go with SD

If you plan on venting the BOV no madder what than go with SD. I run the gm maf with full v3 and it works good but I get the issue of a wondering tune, meaning when temp changes drastically the tune will change with it. Not really an issue on e85 because its pretty safe at any afr but if you have a lean pump gas tune it can be very dangerous.

well i guess for speed density, DS-Map would be the better route to go.

works very well, alot of support, proven to work and alot cheaper. I cant afford v3, i might possibly have enough for v3lite but not sure yet

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back