The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Ebay Evo III 16g; Any good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carcrazy144

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Murrysville, Pennsylvania
so, of all the people who have actually said that the ebay turbos are garbage, how many of you actually have bought one, instead of just "knowing a guy". I say this with the utmost respect for the lot of you, but when I buy parts, from ANYWHERE, I check to make sure they function the way they are supposed to before I install them on my car. I'm just saying.
I've never had a problem with Ebay parts, EVER. I research my sellers, I research the products, I contact other buyers. Because research is key to any purchase. If you don't know what you are buying and are instead going with the 'THIS IS SHINY 16G BIG TURBO' item description... then you deserve what you get.

Oh, and Im certainly not going to trust a seller on the forums simply because they are a "supporting vendor" either. They deserve the same kind of scrutiny and criticism that an Ebay seller gets.
You can count all the unfavorqble replies to this discussion and see that about 1/3 are those that tried one.

Yes, I had 5-6 guys say this one the OP is looking at from this vendor would work. So I tried it:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid484.photobucket.com/albums/rr203/wheelhop_photos/junk/MVI_1051.flv">

. . .What a bargain!

Why take a chance with ANY ebay 16g turbo? When you can get used evo3 16g turbos in no need of rebuild for the same price and KNOW you can get 100K out of it and abuse it far beyond what any ebay 16g has been taken cosistantly.

Supporting vendors are more scrutinized by the site leaders and owner.

Some things on ebay are totally ok, others aren't..so far I haven't had a bad experience with ebay besides the boost controller that was sent to me for free, the knob turns opposite ways for + and - in boost LOL.
I have all cxracing intercooler piping, j-pipe, and tubular manifold! All my products have held up well and have fit properly! =D

Just don't make quick purchases because the timer on ebay says it will end soon!

thats because CX racing is actually decent as far as ebay stuff goes. and they really do test their parts

I got a real evo3 16g for $50 blown just needed a rebuild. think theres been real ones for 300 in classifieds.

Don't listen to half the bullshitters on this thread- I have installed plenty of them with no issues on different cars. The DSM that I put one on was sold and is still running strong after 10k+ miles.

thats because CX racing is actually decent as far as ebay stuff goes. and they really do test their parts
Huh. :hmm:

I had a customer send me a CX Racing T3 Chinese junker that lasted him 40 miles before it started to smoke and howl. I rebuilt it with Genuine Garrett journal bearings and a stagger-gap turbine seal, and it's still boosting away just shy of a year later.

Guess that one slipped through the cracks during the testing process.

jusmx, how many mhi turbos have you rebuilt?

MHI turbos would surely make up the majority, but then again they're also being used on the majority of DSMs out there. I've never had a MHI turbo in for a rebuild that had something ridiculous like 40-50 miles on it.

Of all the upgraded turbos available for our cars, I've rebuilt more PTE turbos than anything else HANDS DOWN.

I know you know your stuff man- was just picking on the example you gave. I will also admit it's better to go w/the mhi turbo but to totally discount the ebay turbos like many here who have ABSOLUTELY NO experience with them is wrong.

Well MY personal experience is what I mentioned and showed the results of in the video. And yes I DO know others that have used these turbos and failed. In all cases, every single one failed before 2K miles that I've used or personally had my eyes on over the last two years (6 different setups). And NONE made it through tuning up to 28-29lb min before blowing up. You can get more out of your stock 14b and it last for the life of the car at that relatively conservative level of performance.

I'm sure if you go in there and balance the turbo an swap out some chra parts, it may last. Some have mentioned that since there's a mixture of garrett like and mhi like parts in the bearing section, you really need more oil pressure/flow than what the head will supply. But after balancing, two rebuild kits (one for the garrett parts and one for the mhi parts), and the OFH drain line and proper restrictor, you're about at the cost of a new mhi turbo that will likely spool faster anyway (my mhi turbos spooled faster than my ebay 16g). You do get an adjustable wastegate actuator with the ebay pieces though :p

BTW most people don't ship off their ebay 16g to get rebuilt because they learned their lesson the first time; or they got so bad instantly and wheels contacted housings in one single run like mine ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back