The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

E85/16g/Emanage/1000cc injectors running awesome

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayRolla

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Colorado Spring, Colorado
Well my brother finally converted to e85. I remember a lot of people saying emanage cant handle over 750cc injectors, but everything seems to be running great.

Car is at 22psi running a 11-11.2 afr and no knock. Timing is zeroed out at the moment. Helping tune the car is Kevin at jackstranmissions.com. This is the base tune. We are going to pump to about 26psi and start adding timing here in a few days.

Its just incredible how well the e85 works. He said he can make more power on this fuel than c16. Hopefully he can get to the track or dyno to get a real number on the car. Also wanted to add that he is very impressed how the emanage is working and said for the price is almost worth it over dsmlink.

Alright here is the first stupid question you must answer...

How do you convert a car to e85?

OK so allow me to rephrase my question a bit. Did your brother change his fuel lines ,pump for alcohol friendly componets? If so what parts, materials, ect... did he use?
I have wondered how well this shit would work it is a great theory but i think it has a few loop holes ...

Like with running that much alcohol wont you have the same problems that alcohol dragsters have ? With the constant flushing of the fuel system and combustion chambers? Due to the effects of aluminum oxide?

It will be interesting to see this setup in 6months after it has been up and running?

It's simple...

-Larger fuel pump
-AFPR
-Big injectors
-Something to tune it with

I have a friend (Patter$on on here) that converted his '99 GSX to e85 using a Walbro 255, AFPR, 1000cc injectors, and DSMLink. He's run 12.2 so far on a E316G. Being that it is 105 octane and cheaper at the pump than regular gas, he can make race gas power for cheaper than pump gas prices! He lives in Oregon and the price for e85 is $2.35/gal. versus the $2.70+ for regular gas.

And all of that crap about the e85 corroding rubber fuel lines and destroying your gas tank and fuel rail is a bunch of crap. Most people upgrade their fuel lines when making big power anyway, but it isn't necessary. My other friend with a 500hp Galant VR-4 runs e85 daily and when he pulled his head after 10000 miles of straight e85 use, there wasn't a single bit of carbon build up on his valves or pistons.

http://www.e85fuel.com/

Humm i have 680's 255lph walbaro, aeromotive fpr, and dsm link am I e85 ready? Or do i need bigger injectors? And how much timing is your friend running?

You would run out of fuel very quickly with 680s at the same boost level. If I recall correctly, you need to run about 35% MORE e85 to attain the same AFR as pump gas, therefore 680s would die quickly. Since you have DSMLink, I would seriously go with 1000s or even 1600s since you can just dial down the fuel and you'd never have to rebuy injectors with a turbo upgrade...

I don't know how much timing he has ran or on how much boost, but you could send him a PM on here and ask him. He's a nice guy. His name on here is Patter$on.

Here is his modlist on his '99 GSX:
Evo 3 16g
ETS Race FMIC
1000cc Injectors
DSMLink
ACT 2600
3" Turboback Exhaust
E85
FP 4" Intake

You would run out of fuel very quickly with 680s at the same boost level. If I recall correctly, you need to run about 35% MORE e85 to attain the same AFR as pump gas, therefore 680s would die quickly. Since you have DSMLink, I would seriously go with 1000s or even 1600s since you can just dial down the fuel and you'd never have to rebuy injectors with a turbo upgrade...

I don't know how much timing he has ran or on how much boost, but you could send him a PM on here and ask him. He's a nice guy. His name on here is Patter$on.

Here is his modlist on his '99 GSX:
Evo 3 16g
ETS Race FMIC
1000cc Injectors
DSMLink
ACT 2600
3" Turboback Exhaust
E85
FP 4" Intake

humm cause i took all the fuel out after 4k on link almost at the bottom of the table and the car made 385 to the wheels through the auto...my afrs were at 11.2-11.6 the whole time on a in car aem wide band.. that was on c16 at 23lbs ...c16 is expensive thats why im asking so many questions if all i need are bigger injectors and a re-tune hell im going e-85 tommrow .

I would say go for it... You won't be disappointed. Race gas from the pump for a fraction of the price. I say get some 1000s and retune. I also would recommend contacting Lucas English at English Racing (http://www.englishracing.net). He has been tuning e85 for quite some time now including doing the DSMLink tuning for Patter$son's 2G, several other cars, and his own e85 powered 11.2sec., stock turbo, Evo VIII. He also built and tuned Paul Nelson's 1000hp 2.0L Evo VIII, which is the highest horsepower 2.0L Evo in the world. And it used to run on e85. It's the fastest Evo on the West Coast at 9.3 so far in the 1/4. He is truly gifted when it comes to these cars in general and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet or talk to. He's local to me here in Washington, but he can really help you. I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed. Tell him SonySlave referred you to him. :p

Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread Jay... :coy: Just trying to spread the word! :thumb:

OK so allow me to rephrase my question a bit. Did your brother change his fuel lines ,pump for alcohol friendly componets? If so what parts, materials, ect... did he use?
I have wondered how well this shit would work it is a great theory but i think it has a few loop holes ...

Like with running that much alcohol wont you have the same problems that alcohol dragsters have ? With the constant flushing of the fuel system and combustion chambers? Due to the effects of aluminum oxide?

It will be interesting to see this setup in 6months after it has been up and running?
I ran E85 for a few months. Very little boost(not enough injector). Only thing I had different fuel system wise was a -6 braided steel from the tank to rail. Ethanol is not NEARLY as corrosive as methanol, which is the issue for alcohol cars. In that short time I did not notice any ill effects after removing the rail, injectors etc.

Sorry, Ive been busy so have not been able to reply. You need about 33% more fuel flow to run e85. 1000cc injectors on e85 would run out at about 400-500whp. I would say at least 850cc's for a 16g.

All he changed was the fuel line from the filter to the rail. Cars build from 89 and up usually have a different type of rubber in the lines and the e85 wont corrode it. Only issue would be the 1g metal tank but we have had people running it for over a year with no problems.

Also a wbo2 is mandatory. Sometimes the e85 is more like e90 or e70. This will cause your afr to change so its nice to have a wbo2 so you dont run lean and burn a valve.

We would have started at about 26psi but he started getting a misfire. We are going to lower the spark plug gap to about .022-.024 and turn the boost up. Then start adding timing.

The fuel is incredible. People are making more power with e85 than c16 race gas. My mechanic said it will never detonate. He can add so much timing it starts to become to much and actually robs power. Its just incredible stuff.

We are hoping to break 400whp but with stock cams and a 2.5inch exhaust I dont see it happening.

I would say go for it... You won't be disappointed. Race gas from the pump for a fraction of the price. I say get some 1000s and retune. I also would recommend contacting Lucas English at English Racing (http://www.englishracing.net). He has been tuning e85 for quite some time now including doing the DSMLink tuning for Patter$son's 2G, several other cars, and his own e85 powered 11.2sec., stock turbo, Evo VIII. He also built and tuned Paul Nelson's 1000hp 2.0L Evo VIII, which is the highest horsepower 2.0L Evo in the world. And it used to run on e85. It's the fastest Evo on the West Coast at 9.3 so far in the 1/4. He is truly gifted when it comes to these cars in general and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet or talk to. He's local to me here in Washington, but he can really help you. I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed. Tell him SonySlave referred you to him. :p

Oh, and sorry to hijack your thread Jay... :coy: Just trying to spread the word! :thumb:

Its cool man, no worries. There is also a guy named Curt Brown that just set the evo16g hp and 1/4 mile record. He ran 10.33@131mph at 454awhp. No nitrous running e85. Car is full weight almost at about 2800lb.

Its cool man, no worries. There is also a guy named Curt Brown that just set the evo16g hp and 1/4 mile record. He ran 10.33@131mph at 454awhp. No nitrous running e85. Car is full weight almost at about 2800lb.

I wouldn't exactly call that full weight. Tastefully lightened would be better :thumb:

Well after tuning at 26psi it seams the head gasket went. Its pushing coolent at wot.

Plans now are BC springs and 272's inside the new head. Maybe a set of SS valves. Hoping now to break 400whp. We will see.

Just make sure you have enough fuel most people start to run out of pump at that point with one 255.

The E85 loves Advance. Good luck with it.

I've really been thinking about giving E85 a shot. What size injectors would you guys suggest for a 20g? My mods are in my profile

20g I would go with 1000 or larger. To the other guy what EMS are you using.

Yea I have been running a VPC/Neo combo, but I just picked up an emanage recently. Good to hear that you have it running good. What kind of fuel pressure are you working with? Also, have you cranked the boost yet?

I think he is running around 42psi fp. He is running about 22psi right now since the head gasket is blown because of upping the boost. He has all the parts and the new head should be done soon with a set of 272's. After that 26-28psi and lots of timing. Hoping for 400+whp, we will see.

I think he is running around 42psi fp. He is running about 22psi right now since the head gasket is blown because of upping the boost. He has all the parts and the new head should be done soon with a set of 272's. After that 26-28psi and lots of timing. Hoping for 400+whp, we will see.

Good luck with the head gasket. Are you running a 255 or something larger?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back