The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Dzus clips quarter turn fasteners

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin

Supporting Vendor
Mar 10, 2006
McKinney, Texas
Let talk dzus clips shall we. If your going to use them the only one I feel are worth a damn use a hex drive to tighten them. The ones that use a blade/flathead style drive are hard to engage and are begging you to slip off and scratch your car. This pic shows the basic make up of a quarter turn faster to give you and idea how the work.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now that you know what the fasteners look like let move on to the install some.
First I aligned my fenders. This takes some time and even more if you are using aftermarket fender that don't have predrilled holes. Self tapping screws work great for this.
Next I drilled a 1/8" hole where I want my buttons to be. Then I installed my cleco claps to hold the fender in place and removed the self tapping screws. The cleco are so nice when you need to remove and reinstall thing several times and hold the panels very well. I love them.

Here are some good pics of how the clecos work for those that don't know.

Those 1/8 inch holes I drilled for the cleco clips are also the same size as the center pin for the spring jig/fixture. This handy tool makes drill the holes for spring placement a breeze.

After drilling the I counter sunk them so the rivets would sit flush. To do this right in thin sheet metal you have to either use a dimple die, pop dimpler or a micro counter sink. For these I used a micro counter sink. Once you get it setup it makes perfect counter sinks every time and keeps you from cutting any deeper then needed. The bit I'm using has 120* angle to match the rivets.

After I the spring holes where done I reinstalled the fender with the cleco and the zip screws. Then one by one I opened up the center 1/8 hole to 27/64 for the button. Next you take this nifty little deburring tools and clean up the edges to the holes.

Now we can rivet the spring in place. I'm going to be pulling a lot of rivets so I picked up this gun.

Look all done. Also disregard the other holes. I played around with the fender quite a while before I decided to go for broke with the quarter turn fasteners. Good thing fiber glass is easy to fix. :) Any input, questions, comments etc. are always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be using dzus fasteners for the center mounting of the bumper cover. I'm planning on using these 1/4 turn dzus with little fold-down handles:
Dzus Dhandle 1/4 turn/ Quick Release [DzusD1/4] - $4.81 : Racebolts, High Performance titanium parts at Titanium Performance

and these plates which look to be much easier to use that the s-shaped springs you're using:
Rivet-on, Zinc Plated Receptacle for 1/4 turn fasteners [RecRivet] - $1.60 : Racebolts, High Performance titanium parts at Titanium Performance

Not sure where you're sourcing your dzus from but this place seems to have pretty good prices from my searching.

I'll be using dzus fasteners for the center mounting of the bumper cover. I'm planning on using these 1/4 turn dzus with little fold-down handles:
Dzus Dhandle 1/4 turn/ Quick Release [DzusD1/4] - $4.81 : Racebolts, High Performance titanium parts at Titanium Performance

and these plates which look to be much easier to use that the s-shaped springs you're using:
Rivet-on, Zinc Plated Receptacle for 1/4 turn fasteners [RecRivet] - $1.60 : Racebolts, High Performance titanium parts at Titanium Performance

Not sure where you're sourcing your dzus from but this place seems to have pretty good prices from my searching.

I'm using super buttons. I looked into items like those and camlocks etc. but the price was too high for how many I'll need. I'm going to be installing all the body panels with them. 6-9 dollars per fastener get to be big $$$$$ fast.

Super Buttons

How do you like the air powered rivet gun? I'm still using a manual palm killer, but have been thinking about upgrading.

Also, can you show a pic of the head of that quarter turn button? I'm only familiar with the 'blade' style ones. Another option to consider with those is the spring loaded self-ejecting ones. They're nice because you'll never lose the buttons.

Well, the buttons might be a better choice for the price point for most body panels but I'd still look at the d-handle ones for the bumper cover for ease of use. It's the panel you'll be removing 99% of the time at the track.

Are you going to use the super buttons for the rear overfenders too? I'm wondering how that will work since you won't have easy access to the back of the stock metal since it's attached to the unibody.

How do you like the air powered rivet gun? I'm still using a manual palm killer, but have been thinking about upgrading.

Also, can you show a pic of the head of that quarter turn button? I'm only familiar with the 'blade' style ones. Another option to consider with those is the spring loaded self-ejecting ones. They're nice because you'll never lose the buttons.

That cheap ass harbor freight gun it worth it's weight in gold. I love it. Easy one handed operation. It one of what I call the harbor freight gems.

For a good look at the button look here:

Super Buttons

Well, the buttons might be a better choice for the price point for most body panels but I'd still look at the d-handle ones for the bumper cover for ease of use. It's the panel you'll be removing 99% of the time at the track.

Are you going to use the super buttons for the rear overfenders too? I'm wondering how that will work since you won't have easy access to the back of the stock metal since it's attached to the unibody.

Every panel will be held on with quarter turns. Getting to the back of the rear fenders is not going to be too bad. Esp if I cut them for clearance and weight.

Kevin

Here is another tool I used during the install of my body work. It's called a pop dimpler. It consists of two dies and a pulling nail. You use a pop rivet gun to squeeze the dies together making a perfect counter sink for rivets with out weakening the panel. It work great and used it everywhere I could reach both sides of the panels. You can but through Aircraft Spruce. Sorry I don't have any good pics of a dimple or the tool in action.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back