The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM Weight Reduction [merged] diet weight loss strip light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TsiAWD

DSM Wiseman
May 19, 2002
94 3000GT VR-4, North_Dakota
I personally am looking to do some weight reduction while retaining the quiet/smooth ride, and still having a spare so I can go on the highway without getting flatbedded home.

heres some of my ideas, just normal of course.

CF hood
Ditch all of my stereo and just get upgraded 6x9, 5.25, and 3.5's hooked to the factory amp/deck.
CF Hatch<<<Anyone make one for us?
CF Spoiler<<Anyone make it?
Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors

What else is there? I dont wanna tear out all the sound deadening or the spare tire.

Originally posted by EclipseGST-95
listen up everyone ...dont listen to anything anyone else says...buy a carbon fiber hood guaranteed 10 seconds off 1/4 mile:thumb: :laugh:

A carbon fiber hood weighs about 10 Lbs the stock hood is about 50. If you think that does not matter. Put a 50 lb bag of quick dry in your trunk and lets race.:thumb:

Honestly man, unless you're going to a full drag car, pulling all that stuff out wouldn't help you very much. I'm not sure, but if I remember correctly, every 100 lbs is about .1 sec off the 1/4 mile time or something like that. So unless you're gong to pull 1000 lbs off your car for another second, you're better off just driving your car as what it is. A non-turbo commuting car. If you want something decent, I would say sell your N/A and get a turbo'd DSM. They're not really that much any more. I got my 92 Talon TSi for $1200, and my '95 GS-T for $4,500.

^ Besides, when you start stripping shit out, your resale value PLUMMETS. Trust me, I know ;)

If you want to build an all motor dsm and go full out race trim,, well I guess thats something to aspier to . A buddy was just given a venom racing civic for his girlfriend to race this year and dudue this thing is a monstor. It ran something like 10.5 in the quarter mile down in the states , and to my knowledge (as of thursday night) this kid will be running a fully built 420 a in his civic .I dont now about many but I fully respect these guys for what they are trying to do, by squeazing every ounce of anything really . These cars are going faster and faster , and I for one wouldent mind seeing a non turbo dsm go at it with these guys and see how we fair up.

Any way Im having problems with pepe locos pics so your gonna have to wait a bit ok buddy.

But did you see magnus's awd action front project talon??
dude this thing is going to eat everything alive here in canada.
When looking at the pics see how the engine has a sub frame well thats what i was refering to.

It's really pointless to do any major weight reduction. Yeah, a cf hood and some light weight racing seats would be cool...but stripping your car down (especially being a n/a) is only giong to hurt you...both resale AND structurally. You just can't make a car what it's not...

Ok from what akagotcha said it's going to be a race car he's doesent need it for the daily grind, he's pimpin it in a lincoln ls rolling on some serious dubbs.
So when thinking of resell ( dude thats like saying he's just going to fail in making an n/a race car ) you'r already thinking of reselling it.

What I was saying is strip it and sell all the parts but the ones he needs.

And we all know that a carbon fiber hood is great and light weight but I dident appreciate eclipse -gst 95 following my posts and trying to taunt me about some comments I had already made in a previous thread.

Taunting is'nt cool so if you dont have anything nice to say dont say it at all .

Hey akagotcha pm me about your ideas.

i see nothing wrong with NA.:thumb: Look at some of the all motor hondas they can put out some good numbers. It would be a good road racing car in my opinion

In general or do you have a specific form of racing in mind? (e.g., SCCA autoXing has a ton or rules to obey)

Are you willing to sacrifice creature comforts? (e.g., A/C; seats)

Are you willing to lower safety? (e.g., front bumper core)

- Jtoby

take out all the AC related stuff, clean out the trunk, get rid of the subs (if u have em). I wouldnt recommend taking the power windows and steering off though :)

You could do what I did...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I removed 340 pounds from the interior, and from removing all the AC components that I could legally remove (Heater core, and ducting must remain in car) I will be putting 100 or so back in the form of a roll cage, seat, and other safety gear of course.

fill your tires with helium.

im sorry... its 2 in the morning and im getting silly. off to bed.

seriously though, you could take off your spoiler, get lighter rims, take out your stereo, back seats, and other little things. dunno.

Originally posted by jmartinez1228
what kind of mods can i do to my 90 tsi to make it a little lighter?
It's not really "mods", you're just yanking out anything you can live without. Problem is that you'll be lucky to find 500 pounds of stuff, and it's not enough.

i have a 97 rs, i hear that my car out the factory weighs less than the others. What if i replace seats with lightweight racing seats, take out the rear seats, replace tires/rims with lightweight tires/rims, and take out my extra tire, how much would that put me at?

With me in it and a half tank my car is right around 3k. I'm 160.

Front seats replaced with sparco fixed buckets
stock seatbelts and sliders completely removed (5pt harnesses)
rear seats removed (but there are two 8" subs in their place so I don't think it reduced any weight at all)
full ac system including the condenser removed
no headliner (I couldn't find my old one and I've never seen a good one for a sunroof car in a junkyard)
no cruise
manual steering rack
TCE brakes drop off 8lbs per caliper, don't know what the brackets weigh
wheels are 3lbs lighter each
13lb battery

I did add weight with the cage, stereo, and rear swaybar.

the effect of less unsprung weight is much more noticeable than the same amount of "sprung" weight. I'm looking for some FD3S wheels for that very purpose. They weigh 15.4 lbs each versus the stock 19 lbs on my car. While it may only be 16 lbs, it is less rotational mass....so its more effective

Originally posted by kiakarimi
isn't lighter wheels much more effective for weight reduction because its "unsprung" weight? I heard that somewhere correct me if i'm wrong.

It makes life easier on you shocks and makes it easier for them to control movement. In terms of decreasing drag times you want to reduce rotational inertia. The fastest moving component being your flywheel/clutch and crank.

If you need wheel/tire recomendations I work down at the costco tire shop in Issaquah. Actually I think I saw your car around before.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back