The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

AWD weight reduction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turblown

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 9, 2003
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a 90 GST and a 90 GSX and with the GSX (AWD) I've noticed that the doors and hatch are significantly heavier than the GST.

Does the GSX have to be weighed down for better traction?

I'd like to replace the GSX doors and hatch with GST parts, but not if it messes with the ability to launch well.

Let me know... what you know. OMG

Turblown said:
I have a 90 GST and a 90 GSX and with the GSX (AWD) I've noticed that the doors and hatch are significantly heavier than the GST.

Does the GSX have to be weighed down for better traction?

I'd like to replace the GSX doors and hatch with GST parts, but not if it messes with the ability to launch well.

Let me know... what you know. OMG

I don't see how it would hurt traction very much. You're still going to be able to launch far better than a near-identical vehicle with FWD.

are you serious about the doors and the hatch??? that makes no sense that one would be lighter then the other....

Yeah...
I was kinda weirded out when I went to buy the AWD (I had the FWD for a while).... when I got in it ... I almost strained my arm closing the door! It was very noticeable.... and the hatch is crazy.... before I replaced the hatch struts I had to use both arms to hold it open... anyways...

how could the hatch be lighter, i mean, its mostly just made up of the glass window. hmm

Your missing some info here. Do both cars have power windows? Power locks? How about the rear hatch, do they both have rear wipers? The motors and wires for all of these will have a significant impact on weight. If the GST has manual windows and locks and the GSX has power everything then the GSX door will be heavier cause of the added convenience. Want to lose some weight? Ditch the front and rear bumpers, gut the inside of the doors, and from the front seats back. Got leather? If so you probably got power seats too, lose those for some cloth seats or even better some lightweight aftermarket seats. Getting rid of the entire AC system can save upwards of 80 pounds so that's something to think about, unless you daily drive your car and you don't live in Alaska.

I removed the AC panel today (that thing is a little heavy given that it has the bottle and all). My car does not have the compresor... what else is left to eliminate? Is removing the evaporator going to save me much?

I read that the entire AC system is about 35 lbs.

Well....

:thumbdown I was wondering if my situation was unique or not... "apparently" the doors and hatch are supposed to be the same weight... but I know for sure that mine are not.

:dsm: Guess I'll have to rip open the doors and compare the two.... possibly something just done on the 90's... I dunno... but thanks for all the info.

By the way both doors and hatch have the same components... PW, PDL, Wiper, etc.... It just feels like they added some type of filler weight on the GSX... or someone removed the filler weight in the GST before I bought it or something... :confused:

Seriously?!? Oil the hinges on the GSX. They are one and the same. Sounds like the struts were still good on the GST.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back