The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM Weight Reduction [merged] diet weight loss strip light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TsiAWD

DSM Wiseman
May 19, 2002
94 3000GT VR-4, North_Dakota
I personally am looking to do some weight reduction while retaining the quiet/smooth ride, and still having a spare so I can go on the highway without getting flatbedded home.

heres some of my ideas, just normal of course.

CF hood
Ditch all of my stereo and just get upgraded 6x9, 5.25, and 3.5's hooked to the factory amp/deck.
CF Hatch<<<Anyone make one for us?
CF Spoiler<<Anyone make it?
Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors

What else is there? I dont wanna tear out all the sound deadening or the spare tire.

Im trying to picture this but can't for the life of me figure out what metal brackets to remove. is a picture possible?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I am not sure what is being talked about. All I have done here is remove the carpet. There was no plastic pieces or metal anything. Lol. If I am missing something please let me know.

Does sound deadening actually have any weight to it?

I see lots of sound deadening that could be removed :D

Thats what I am working on today. :D And yes it does have some weight to it. Especially the material attached to the carpet. The material on the floor much more difficult to remove. However, every little bit helps! :thumb:

I removed 25lbs worth of sound deadening which includes the mat on the firewall and all the stuff scraped off the floor. Definately worth it IMHO. As for the cushioning under the carpet, also worth it! But you will notice an increase in the noise level, so if it's a daily consider that first.

I removed 25lbs worth of sound deadening which includes the mat on the firewall and all the stuff scraped off the floor. Definately worth it IMHO. As for the cushioning under the carpet, also worth it! But you will notice an increase in the noise level, so if it's a daily consider that first.

Lol. I am probably going to get reamed in this forum for saying this, but I am taking all the sound deadening up to install Dynamat. :shhh: I am not sure if there will be much of a weight gain/loss but the Dynamat will perform better than the stock sound deadening. The intent of my car is to be a daily driver, but anywhere that weight can be saved is a plus. :thumb:

dry ice works good for removing sound deading if its the kind thats been sparyed on and skin also be careful

Tried it just for "grins" and giggles. It worked really well. Definitely better than a blow dryer and spatula! :ohdamn: Thanks for the tip :D

Thanks everyone very helpful using all I have taken out i calculated Stock weight minus 159.5 not too shabby perfectly counteracts my weight haha.

:hmm: Let's play guess that weight... LOL Ok, my turn.:D

cruise control about 5lbs
squirters, lines, reservoirs about 5lbs
rear wiper motor about 5lbs
spare tire and tools about 30lbs

My guess = less than 50lbs
Enjoy!:thumb:

^^ you are a hero! i LOL'd ... it was like a MasterCard commercial weight reduction .. priceless

&& on a side not I've seen allot of people around here take out the passenger bucket as a large weight reduction and use the back seat as people carrier, and look in the aftermarket steering wheel .. the OEM wheel is like 10 lbs .. the innards are like cast iron or something WTF

Light cars break less drivetrain parts. Plus its just a fast car when its light. problem is figuring out what you can do without and how much of a tin can you want to make your car.

Some one needs to run a consistent 1/4 mile and then throw in 100 lbs and see how it effects our cars. I'm trying to decide weather or not to add about 100lbs of sound deadening from second skin. Of coarse I want my car to be faster but I also like a quite car and my music to sound nice.

I have a GVR4 and beginning weight was 3250 and after everything other than glass and the abs and rear steering rack we are down to 2700lbs including wheels and ricarro seats from an evo 8. All the little things add up very quickly.

On a more extreme weight loss level, my fwd track ready with a 6-point is 1875lbs no driver. Still has front glass and I can do some more things to get it down another 75+ lbs or so.

i took out (and weighed) a bunch of "extra weight"...all the interior plastic behind the doors including the hatch, the rear seat, spare, rear carpet and floor, rear wiper and motor, factory wing (gsx), factory speakers and cd changer, rear seatbelts, radio antenna, and much of the bolts and fasteners and wiring that were no longer needed.

i also took off the front wipers but not the motor yet (more for aero than weight, just like the wing... aka "air brake")

total weight of all parts removed = 168 pounds :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back