The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM Weight Reduction [merged] diet weight loss strip light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98TsiAWD

DSM Wiseman
May 19, 2002
94 3000GT VR-4, North_Dakota
I personally am looking to do some weight reduction while retaining the quiet/smooth ride, and still having a spare so I can go on the highway without getting flatbedded home.

heres some of my ideas, just normal of course.

CF hood
Ditch all of my stereo and just get upgraded 6x9, 5.25, and 3.5's hooked to the factory amp/deck.
CF Hatch<<<Anyone make one for us?
CF Spoiler<<Anyone make it?
Dimple Drilled/Slotted Rotors

What else is there? I dont wanna tear out all the sound deadening or the spare tire.

loose the back seats, lighter weight rims, light weight racing seats up front, and if you go 4 or 5 point harness you can loose all the seatbelt mechinisims... loose your A/C... and your power steering... if you have power windows, or door locks you could convert those... or just go to snap out lexan windows and gut the door...

but... you sound like you want to make your car weigh less without loosing anything... hummm... I guess you could fill your tires with Helium... or COMPLETELY seal your cab... and fill that with helium too... ;-)

ive been meaning to get my dsm on a diet.. lets face it, dsm's are heavy as hell.
who has made some major weight reduction?
besides ur usual seats/plastic trims here and there..
any other things to look at?
pics would be grr8..

Spare tire, Jack, Tools, AC, steel bumpers, exhaust heat shield, gas tank shield, rear seats, all seatbelts (replace fronts with 5 point harnesses), cruise control, battery (replace with lightweight battery), Power steering system (repalce with manual rack), gas tank (replace with fuel cell), stock seats (replace with lightweight seats), Glass (replace with lexan), etc...

Good luck,

damn, i didnt realize all that.. thats a lot to look into.
is this stuff u have done yourself? thats sounds like 100lbs

If you have ABS ditch that (trust me it's pretty heavy), glovebox, ALL sound deadner, rear wiper and motor, cut all the bracing off of underneath the hood, and peel all of the insulation from the underside of the carpet. All of that stuff adds up to around 100.00 pounds!

As mentioned, ABS is definately worth pulling. 34lbs (on a 1g) not to mention it takes up a ton of room in the engine compartment. Also, changing to lighter wheels would be smart, rotational weight reduction is always good.

Project GSX Weight Reduction
Jay Hassinger 1990 GSX

Stock Weight Measured on State Certified CAT Scale 3,070
(Loaded GSX without sunroof and 1/8 tank gas)

Items Taken Away
Rear Seats (upper and lower, leather) 40
Drivers Seat (Leather Adj lumbar) 50
Pass Seat 45
Spare Tire and Jack 35
Various Materials (Spare tire cover, privacy cover etc) 20
Front Seat Belt Assembly (Complete) 30
Rear Seat Belt Assemblies, Speakers and mounting 18
Sound Material Inside Car 25
Stock Radio/CD Player/Amp 10
Front Bumper Support (Completely Removed) 35
Rear Bumper Support (Completely Removed) 32
Fog Lights 5
AC (Everything Removed) 45
Charcol Canister and Battery Tray 6
Driver Side Fan 6
Cruise 6
Various Brackets (Fire wall brackets, Intake, air can, heat shields etc) 10
Rear Wiper Assemby 5
-
Total Weight Removed 423

Items Added
Racing Front Seats 50

Total Weight Added 50

Net Weight Removed 373
New Vehicle Weight 2,697

I saved a file from that guy who did 12.86 on a 1g AWD with just 22 psi, advanced timing, and K&N Air Filter. Oh, and the obvious weight reduction.

That's nice to know..I've done all of that. Well except for the two front seats. I always wondered how much that stff weighed!

damn, thats a gsx.. i have an rs.. i always thought rs's were in the 3000 plus.. so the stock gsx is just a little over 3k then i wonder how much a stock rs would be..

i did remove passenger and rear seats w rear seatbelts. i kinda felt a difference when i drove it.. my friends said it was all in my head..

im gonna try to remove the rear and front bumpers, i didnt think they were THAT heavy..

Originally posted by drtdvl
how hard and time consuming is it to take out the ac?

i dont think its worth it, out of all of the turbo'd 4cyl imports out there dsms are actually unique cause they have a/c, cause when most people turbo other imports like that thye usally have to take out the ac or it wont work with a motor swap

:thumb:

I just pulled the AC from my second 1G DSM and while it is a fairly large PITA, I do think it is well worth it. Both times I have done it, it was noticeable in the seat. I agree that it is nice to have AC and still have decent power and be able to do things the honduhs can't do, but at the same time, they arn't the only competition. On occasion another DSM wants to play too and I want every advantage over them as well. Guess it all depends on your goals.

For my 1G, it was a couple busy hours to get it all out. I am not sure how different the 2G's are. You have to make a small spacer on the 1G when you take off the compressor bracket, I am not sure if that is the case with the 2G either.

i would of thought it was just a matter of removing bolts, i imagine we had to take appart some other things to get to the entire setup.. im grr8 at taking shiet apart but i can never remember how to put it back together.. if i take it out and some day i want to put it back in im #### out of luck..

what about power steering? those extra reservoirs under the hood that make the bay look cluttered as hell..

does anyone have any ideas on how much stock rs wheels weigh? i had roush wheels last time i went to the track and i didnt think about how much heavier then my stockers they are.. thy must weigh like 30+..

Has anybody removes the SRS computer from the center console? Is there any danger in just unplugging and removing it?

dp

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back