The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A DSM issue Won't start on it's own

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael97

Probationary Member
Aug 2, 2019
Oak creek, Wisconsin
So I’ve recently purchased a 97’ Eclipse RS.
Since then, I’ve been having sort of an issue when it comes to getting my car to run. (Shocker) Turning the key to accessory works, everything lights up fine. But trying to turn it over just makes the engine crank, but not start. The only way I’ve ever gotten my car to start, is when I utilize starter fluid through my intake, then the car runs fine, but I think I feel some sort of power loss? Especially when i’m at a stop, & start to go it’s stutters for a second before catching & moving on. (But not all the time) I can shut it off for maybe up to an hour, & it will still turn over right away like nothings wrong. But if I wait to turn the car on for more than an hour, the car just cranks & cranks until I put starter fluid in the air intake. Either something is draining my battery horribly low, or something else maybe? Hopefully someone knows & could help me out, thank you in advance!

I’ve replaced the battery, the battery terminals, (they were terrible) aside from the battery I’ve takin it to my nearby shop to get a diagnosis, they claimed they’ve fixed a wiring issue underneath the car, but low & behold the issue is still here. I recently took off my exhaust to get a new one, but also figured the Cat was junk. But that’s where i’m at, at the moment. When I was under the car the fuel filter has seen some better days & more thank likely needs a replacing soon too.

I'd start with the basic "tune up" stuff.
Change the fuel filter, air filter, new plugs properly gapped. Have the injectors cleaned and replace the seals to the head and fuel rail.

Do you have a Check Engine Light (making sure it turns on at all) and read any codes stored.
That's pretty much the limit of my 420A expertise but others will be along soon to help soon I'm sure.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking about doing as well. I had a check engine light checked, but it was for my o2 sensor.
Most recently I had the deathly blinking check engine, but after I got rid of my exhaust, I haven’t had the issue with the blinking CE. I’m just more so confused what could be draining my battery. The previous owner had an aftermarket radio, so I took the fuse for it out & hoping maybe it was that? Unsure at the moment, but I appreciated you helping!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back