The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Spyder 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo_in_Training

Probationary Member
Jul 6, 2022
New_Jersey
I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST, manual , 16G turbo. The car runs great with no major mechanical issues that I am aware of. The only problem is that sometimes after parking the car and shutting it off, the car won't start again. When I put the key in the ignition, the lights are able to be turned on, radio starts, etc. However, the engine doesn't turn over or even click when I try to start it. I can get the car to start if I put it in 1st gear, remove the parking brake, and rock it back and forth, but this only works sometimes. Any suggestions on where to start looking to fix this problem? Is it possible some connections to the starter are bad?

Ignition switch.

My 1G did this exact same thing. I replaced tons of starters, and just got used to rocking it back and forth while in gear. I replaced the ignition switch and it never had a problem again.

Ignition switch.

My 1G did this exact same thing. I replaced tons of starters, and just got used to rocking it back and forth while in gear. I replaced the ignition switch and it never had a problem again.

Anyone know if 2G ignition switch requires any kind of coding? I assume <99 cars didnt have digital keys (a code/chip inside the key that the ECU will look for before allowing start)

I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST, manual , 16G turbo. The car runs great with no major mechanical issues that I am aware of. The only problem is that sometimes after parking the car and shutting it off, the car won't start again. When I put the key in the ignition, the lights are able to be turned on, radio starts, etc. However, the engine doesn't turn over or even click when I try to start it. I can get the car to start if I put it in 1st gear, remove the parking brake, and rock it back and forth, but this only works sometimes. Any suggestions on where to start looking to fix this problem? Is it possible some connections to the starter are bad?
I'm, in agreement with others. If it doesn't even click two biggest culprits to me would be igntion switch of clutch safety switch. The latter is very easy to rule out.

Anyone know if 2G ignition switch requires any kind of coding? I assume <99 cars didnt have digital keys (a code/chip inside the key that the ECU will look for before allowing start)
No chip key on any 2g

I'm, in agreement with others. If it doesn't even click two biggest culprits to me would be igntion switch of clutch safety switch. The latter is very easy to rule out.

There is a loud click. But motor doesnt move. Might be the starter shaft moving into flywheel or could just be relays turning on, cant tell. Clutch switch already disconnected. Checked power and ground on starter, seems to be solid and no damage.

What makes me think its the starter:
Rocking the car does seem to help or could be coincidence. If starter had a dead spot, rocking would help that.
Seems to happen more on a hot motor (hot starter more likely to be on a dead spot)
Seems to happen more on a lower battery than fully charged (starter dead spot worse with less amps)

What makes me think its not starter:
So many people with exact same issue changed starter and it did nothing.

Lol.

I'm either gona throw an ignition switch or starter at the problem, just deciding which.

The starter won’t be too hot to the touch. Put your hand on the starter and have someone try to start it when the condition occurs. If you feel the starter solenoid click, it’s most likely the starter. When it’s happening, you can tap the starter with a metal object and try starting it.
I’m confused whose post this is :idontknow:

As a generality, 'silent' when you turn to START is an ignition switch START contact -- they do wear out, somewhere around 150k miles. A definite CLICK is the clutch switch or solenoid. A serious CLACK!! is the sound of the solenoid and says that the trouble is the starter itself.

Additional data comes from the fact that the problem is intermittent. That's either the switch (but you're getting definite sound) or the starter.

Starter brushes wear out and when they do, they only sometimes touch the commutator. Tapping the starter will often jar the brushes back to contact and allow starting but it's best to use a block of wood or something like that to avoid an accidental short to ground from the connection of the heavy battery cable on the solenoid.

Brush assemblies are available but most people just replace the starter.

Last edited:
Not sure if you are recommending replacing switch or starter LOL

90%+ of the time the car starts as normal. When the 10% happens, there is a click every time, but a small one. And it will click every time I turn the key to run, but it never turns over even a little (starter puts zero motion on flywheel). If I roll start the car (even a SLIGHT roll, not enough to turn the motor, but just the slight turning of flywheel when I pop clutch with key held on run it will turn over with starter) then the starter will turn the motor. So the ignition switch is definitely making contact and doing something, but it might be weak if the switch is bad. If there is no incline at all and I cant roll start, putting the car in gear and rocking it back and forth (flywheel has slight movement just from slack in drivetrain) then usually that will also allow it to turn over the next key turn. So in my mind everything points to starter. The starter gets power direct from battery the ignition switch just activated the relay/solenoid so if I hear any click at all does that mean ignition switch is working? At this point both units are so cheap I might replace both, one at a time and see what happens. I cant believe how cheap parts have gotten for these cars since the 90s. They're probably all manufactured sitting on shelves gathering dust and since nobody is buying them price just keeps going down.

Sorry for stealing thread from OP, but this has been going on for years now for me. Since I only drive the car once a month (probably less) and not in winter at all and leave it on trickle charger I've been avoiding the problem for years. But its annoying as F.

Not sure if you are recommending replacing switch or starter LOL

90%+ of the time the car starts as normal. When the 10% happens, there is a click every time, but a small one. And it will click every time I turn the key to run, but it never turns over even a little (starter puts zero motion on flywheel). If I roll start the car (even a SLIGHT roll, not enough to turn the motor, but just the slight turning of flywheel when I pop clutch with key held on run it will turn over with starter) then the starter will turn the motor. So the ignition switch is definitely making contact and doing something, but it might be weak if the switch is bad. If there is no incline at all and I cant roll start, putting the car in gear and rocking it back and forth (flywheel has slight movement just from slack in drivetrain) then usually that will also allow it to turn over the next key turn. So in my mind everything points to starter. The starter gets power direct from battery the ignition switch just activated the relay/solenoid so if I hear any click at all does that mean ignition switch is working? At this point both units are so cheap I might replace both, one at a time and see what happens. I cant believe how cheap parts have gotten for these cars since the 90s. They're probably all manufactured sitting on shelves gathering dust and since nobody is buying them price just keeps going down.

Sorry for stealing thread from OP, but this has been going on for years now for me. Since I only drive the car once a month (probably less) and not in winter at all and leave it on trickle charger I've been avoiding the problem for years. But its annoying as F.
Dude not cool. You jumped right in as if this was your thread. I didn't even notice you weren't the OP as it was seamless.
If you need further assistance please start your own thread.
We will resume for the OP now.

@Turbo_in_Training -- the replies here have pointed to your problem most likely being the ignition switch or the clutch switch. The starter is least likely. Recommendation is to begin by bypassing the clutch switch and seeing if that resolves your problem as this is easy to do. If that doesn't work next would be either replacing or jumping the ignition switch.

Have you worked on any of these recommendations and, if so, what have you discovered?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back