The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Won't start on its own (have to force start it)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laser'92

Probationary Member
May 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Okay so i finally got the laser up and running, but it won't start on its own, if i connect a wire to the starter wire and then to a direct power sorce it works but if i connect the wire to what it's suppose to be connected to, nothing, any thoughts or suggestions on what the problem is?

Last edited:
Assuming you don't have an alarm interfering either:

1) the clutch pedal posiiton switch isn't opening when clutch is pressed (you can just unplug it if you wish to not have this starter disable) OR

2) the starter relay contacts are shot or it is staying open (it should be closed to start). You can just remove it and jumper the black-yellow wire to the black-red and leave it that way if you wish (then eliminates the clutch position switch and factory alarm from disabling starter). OR

3) the ignition key is not providing starter power to the starter relay black-yellow.

Yes you can remove the starter relay and connect the black-yellow wire to the black-red one. This is what the relay normally has connected - it disconnects these to DISABLE the starter (due to clutch position switch or alarm). If the relay is your problem (eg. bad contacts when closed) this will fix that problem. If you don't have voltage on the black-yellow when turning the key to start, or there is a wire problem on the black-red to the starter, that is a different issue.

Sounds like the switch that is in the column that the key uses to activate the starter is bad. I have the same issue and another guy on here had it a few days ago. He replaced his key switch and it is ok now. I am just using a momentary switch run between the battery and the starter solenoid to start my car now.

So you believe the problem would be from where the ignition of the key is instead of the wiring from the fuse box to the starter is? just curious on which part i need to purchase, if you buy a new ignition does it include a key >_<?

You can test your ignition switch by pulling it and testing continuity, the FSM details this process.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back