The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Overheated now it won't start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylaneclipse

Probationary Member
Sep 22, 2017
Lloydminster, AB_Canada
I drive a 97 GSX, and I had it parked for the winter. I decided to get it up and running since the days are warmer. My oil was low so I topped it up. I drove around a little bit yesterday until my tempature gauge told me I was overheating. I brought it home (I had only gotten a few streets away). The car would only overheat when I was exceeding 2,500 RPM's, and if i slowed down it would lower the tempature back to normal... I Plugged in my car. It was -8 this morning with my lower rad hose heater plugged in. I checked my oil because I just filled it the other day and thought maybe I lost my oil and it turns out it was over filled. So I decided to remove my oil filter to let some drain out. After a little while the oil stopped draining and the oil level didn't lower to where I wanted it too. I got in the car (after putting the filter back on) and tried to start it so the oil would be warmer, and could fill the oil filter again so I could dump more oil. I went got in my car, lights came on, radio came on, but when I turned my key to start, there was a click, and silence. No "whirms" or whining. So I have two major problems I need help with

1) My engine is overheating when I pick up speed, and cools down when I slow down. I have oil and Coolant. Is it maybe my fans? Or a blockage in my radiator?

2) my car doesn't want to turn on. We did just have a really cold day, and I didn't drive it very much yesterday. Maybe the battery died and didn't get to charge itself...? Could a jumpstart fix that?

I'm going to try and get it running again in the next few hours. So let's hope it works

I drive a 97 GSX, and I had it parked for the winter. I decided to get it up and running since the days are warmer. My oil was low so I topped it up. I drove around a little bit yesterday until my tempature gauge told me I was overheating. I brought it home (I had only gotten a few streets away). The car would only overheat when I was exceeding 2,500 RPM's, and if i slowed down it would lower the tempature back to normal... I Plugged in my car. It was -8 this morning with my lower rad hose heater plugged in. I checked my oil because I just filled it the other day and thought maybe I lost my oil and it turns out it was over filled. So I decided to remove my oil filter to let some drain out. After a little while the oil stopped draining and the oil level didn't lower to where I wanted it too. I got in the car (after putting the filter back on) and tried to start it so the oil would be warmer, and could fill the oil filter again so I could dump more oil. I went got in my car, lights came on, radio came on, but when I turned my key to start, there was a click, and silence. No "whirms" or whining. So I have two major problems I need help with

1) My engine is overheating when I pick up speed, and cools down when I slow down. I have oil and Coolant. Is it maybe my fans? Or a blockage in my radiator?

2) my car doesn't want to turn on. We did just have a really cold day, and I didn't drive it very much yesterday. Maybe the battery died and didn't get to charge itself...? Could a jumpstart fix that?

I'm going to try and get it running again in the next few hours. So let's hope it works
This is car repair 101. Your title makes it sound like you damaged something. Jump the car. Replace the battery if you have to. Fix the oil level. Find out if your fans are running and if your thermostat works. Do not drive it if needle starts climbing past halfway. Sounds like simple stuff. There is no way for us to know the root cause of your overheating. Asking us if it's a blockage....how would or could we know? Yes thats a possibility but not likely if it was fine not that long ago.

I would double check the cooling system, the radiator caps on these like to not seal properly -this happened to my 2g and my friends 2g. Double and triple check the coolant cap seal surface and likely replace the cap either way. Second the thermostat could have an issue- check its functioning, how does the wiring at the temp sensors look? Mine were overheated in a fire so I replaced both. Make sure they are replaced with the correct ones if you do replace them.

Invest in some sort of logger - I use ELM327 bluetooth to android device and I can tell you the exact temp of my engine if I question it. I had major issues with the cooling system in my car and once it was sorted out temps never looked better. I had leaks, and the temp sensor I replaced was wrong which took my a minute to figure that out.

If you overheated and pegged the needle you may have warped the head. this happens. If still no start with jump you need to do a compression test. I also recommend a set of noid lights and testing fuel injectors firing. I would check fuel pressure and replace fuel filter while im at it.

I ended up in a similar situation but lost compression in two cylinders I checked everything else first and found that my fuel filter was in need of being replaced and replaced the fuel pump for good measure. I ended up needing a new head gasket and then found issues with my coolant loop.

Sounds like a thermostat to me. Its the most likely thing to get stuck after sitting for the winter and all things being the same. Batteries do go dead after sitting for extended periods of time, especially when still connected to the vehicle. Next time, disconnect the battery. You cannot jump a completely dead battery and have the alternator charge it after. It needs to be charged by a charger until fully charged, then see how it does. The alternator usually can't pick the battery back up by itself. The battery may just need replaced.

Run the car at idle with the cap off and make sure the fluid is full. Watch to see your fans come on after fully heated up. If the car overheats before this happens. (gauge starts getting high). turn the car off and feel your upper and lower radiator hoses. If one is hot, and the other is cold. Replace the thermostat. If both are hot, you have other issues. Like the fan not working or head gasket etc. You can turn the a/c on to see if the fan works at all. If so, turn it off and see that the computer turns the fan on by itself when the temp is right. Should be a 180* thermo in the car and I think 210* fan operation or around there if you have a way to read data.

Last edited:
You can turn the a/c on to see if the fan works at all. If so, turn it off and see that the computer turns the fan on by itself when the temp is right. Should be a 180* thermo in the car and I think 210* fan operation or around there if you have a way to read data.

Turbo2g is right check thermostat is functioning first, make sure the cooling loop is functioning properly and sealed. Feeling the coolant lines will let you know its up to temp and opening. If your temp gauge is climbing past half and the lower radiator hose is cold you have an issue.

Correct the fans should come on at 210* - Do not just trust the temp gauge, my car will overheat by actual temperature well before the gauge gets rather high. My car is running really hot if the needle is above the half way point which is kinda crazy. The needle spiked once to really high while driving around and that led to an actual over heat situation.

The fans in my car are right fan (if your in drivers seat) comes on with AC/ left fan is controlled by 210* temp. If things are working properly they will turn on and off like clock work at the correct temps.

Last edited:
Maintenance 201. If battery tests okay, check your terminals and clean if necessary. Definitely replace terminals if you can't salvage them. If you still hear 1 click when you try to start, odds are it's the starter. Hit the starter with a sledge hammer as hard as you can haha jk. Lightly tap it with a hammer and try to turn over again.

Turbo2g is right. And if you do need a thermostat, please use distilled water and not tap water when changing coolant.

Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back