The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Car Won't start now..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostineclipse

20+ Year Contributor
May 19, 2002
Sacramento, California
Okay.. I did the timing belt change on my car.. I am sure that all the timing marks were algined.. now I go to start it up.. and nothing.. it just cranks and won't fire up. The only thing that I can think of is.. I don't remember if I tightened down the tensioner pulley all the way. I MIGHT have forgotten it.. could this be the problem?

Did you set the tension on the belt? or did you forget to tighten the two bolts holding the tensionor in? If the timing is right and theres enough tension on the belt it should start. What are the steps you did when changing the belt? also check your CAS.

I followed the VFAQ. I am more then postive that I tightened the bolts to the tensioner. I no longer have the 2G Cam/Crank sensor. Went with a 1G.. so I am sure thats not it.. unless that decided to all of a sudden take a crap on me

Well make sure the 2 notches on the cas are lined up, if there backwards it wont start.

You can borrow my compression testor to make sure you still got compression. If you do have compression, check for fuel. Simply disconnect your fuel rail and point the end to a cup. Try turning the car and see if fuel spits out. If that checks out, pull out a spark plug still connected to the wire and see if it trys to fire.

my_gst95

I just went out and checked for Fuel and Spark.. I had both. When I pulled the first spark plug.. it smelled like it had a little bit of fuel on it. I pulled another, and it had some also.. though not as much.

How do you know your getting spark? Did you point the sparkplug connected to a wire close to a ground in the engine bay to see if it archs? If you have spark and you have fuel, then the only thing left is your firing order or your compression based on your timing alignment. Does the engine sound any different as it trys to turn? A compression-less motor will sound like the pistons are just turning effortlessly even when the sparkplugs are in place. An engine firing in the wrong firing order will sometimes sound like the engine tries to catch but doesn't, or sometimes the engine will stop cranking for half a second and then try again.

my_gst95

Your using a 1g cas, right? Do you still have your crank sensor on your car? If so, you can rewire it back to stock, and just leave the cam sensor unplugged, and try to start the car. Your car "Should" start with just the crank sensor installed. If you do decide to test it like this, dont forget to swap your spark plug wires back to stock.

my_gst95

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back