The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 1990 GSX ECU exploded, replaced, Now car won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PangguloCrew

Probationary Member
Dec 15, 2005
Stockton, California
Car: 1990 GSX M/T
Problem: ECU exploded (Blew a Capacitor), was replace with a known working 90 M/T ECU and Car won't start.

The topic sorta says it all. Basically my car was idling, I stepped inside my house, came outside the car wasn't running. I opened the door and smoke came billowing out.

After the smoke cleared I pulled the ECU opened it up and it was charbroiled. LOL.

Had a known working ECU and plugged it in and the car would crank but it won't start.

Is there anything else that could have been cause when the ECU blew? Is it possible it could have jumped timing? I checked all the fuses under the dash and under the hood. Am I missing a fuse some where?

Thanks for any help.

Got the car working now. I grounded pin 8 and the relay clicked and it started just fine. I rigged up a switch that lets it ground or not ground like a sort of kill switch. Is that a bad idea or will I be ok with it set up like that?

Thanks steve for all the help.

steve is kool , always willing to help a fellow dsm'er.......... we need more ppl like him.

PangguloCrew said:
Is that a bad idea or will I be ok with it set up like that?
So the problem is the MPI relay no turning on.

Sounds like your "known good" ECU also has capacitor leakage problems. Right now it's taken out the MPI control circuit. It will continue to eat away at the ECU until it winds up like the first one and explodes or the car stops running again.

I'd fix the ECU rather than bandaid the car.

Steve

steve said:

Sounds like your "known good" ECU also has capacitor leakage problems. Right now it's taken out the MPI control circuit. It will continue to eat away at the ECU until it winds up like the first one and explodes or the car stops running again.

Steve

^^^
This man speak the truth - I'd listen to him if I were you.

steve said:

Steve

If I replace the capacitors in the ECU will it remidy the problem? or should i start looking for another ecu?

PangguloCrew said:
If I replace the capacitors in the ECU will it remidy the problem? or should i start looking for another ecu?
If you have somebody that knows what they are doing fix your ECU it should be fine but just changing the caps after the damage has started isn't going to help much.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back