The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 6 bolt overheated now NO-Start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98_X_Cyclone

Probationary Member
Sep 3, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
Long Story short...... Just bought a 98 GSX, and the guy that owned it before me had just over 3500 miles and a newly rebuilt 6 bolt block, didnt have the radiator hose (lower) clamped on tight enough, got a little warm on the freeway on a hot day, and blew the lower hose off and overheated it. He pulled over, had someone bring him some water, clamped the hose back on, filled it with water, and drove it back to his house. He went to drive it to his dads the next day to make sure there was nothing catastrophic wrong and it wouldnt start. His dad said that they've spent enough money on the car, and he didnt want to dump any more money into fixing it, and that if he didnt have it sold by the end of the week he wouldnt pay off the rest of his college. So.... I bought it from him thinking, the worst it should be is a head replacement.

Is there any ways for me to try and narrow it down as to what is wrong? I pulled the plugs, they looked like they were burning pretty clean....no green white or yellow on the ends. It acts as though it wants to start sometimes, but doesnt. He said he did no that it had a boost leak or 2.

Where do I start??

You can drain the oil and see if coolant is mixed in with the oil or not. Could be a blown headgasket or warped head, depending on how hot it got and for how long.

I guess that I may as well, there wasnt any on the dipstick, but that doesnt mean that there isnt any in the oil. is it bad to leave the motor without oil in it for weeks? Are there instances where the care will not run with a blown head gasket?

Well... doesnt appear to have any coolant in the oil........however there was copper shavings....... WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS!!! The motor was barley broken in....... NOW WHAT!

Is there any possibility that it is from the break in process- it has less then 1000 miles on the block and has only had one oil change at 500 miles? Any thoughts?:confused:

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back