The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

overheated, now runs like crap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengoblin2011

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2011
springfield, Ohio
Ok so heres my dilemma. I have a 95 420a first off. I was drivin down the road, car was running fine. Happened to look down and saw my temp gauge just in the red. Came to a stop sign and when I stopped the car died. Being as I was in the middle of the road I treid to start it back up. After a little fight it fired up but sounded like crap at first. Got to my destination a couple miles away and shut the car down and let it sit a few hours. Went back and checked the coolant which was very low. Refilled it and no start. So I checked the oil, very low. Got oil and about an hour later filled the oil, still no start. ( valvoline 5w30). So being stumped I pulled my plug wires and noticed my coil terminals were terribly corroded. So I cleaned them really well and car started. Went for a drive and about half a mile the car started getting above normal temp and hit a struggling speed of 25 in 3rd gear. Was kinda sputtery at this point. I turned around and went home and parked it. Im a pretty good wrench guy but terrible at diagnosing. My suspicion is my motor is toast but like I said, im terrible at diagnosing. I hop im wrong as this is my only car and no car means no work which means no money to fix said car. Vicious cycle. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Definitely make sure to get the surface on the head checked. These use a mls gasket so it has to be very flat. Wouldn't hurt to have the valve seals replaced while the head is off. While you are in there i would replace the water pump, timing belt, pulleys and tensioner.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back