The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

doing a emissions delete...have i missed or screwed anything up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herms99gst

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
stanley, Virginia
I have a 1999 gst and my car is sitting with no motor so i figured this would be prime time to get rid of some clutter. I did not unhook any of the solenoids on the fire wall because i read they will throw a code of i do. But when the time comes i will be using ceddy mod as my choice of tunning and was wondering if this softwear can just delete the codes so i can get rid of the solenoids and all the access wire? Also where the hell is the charcoal canister? I have unbolted the bracket underneath the battery tray that looked like a cluster of all sorts of lines, and disconnected a line from what im guessing is the fuel relief line? It runs right under my firewall. I also took of the two lines from the solenoid to the right of the master cylinder and also to the left. Am i missing anything. I have the diagram from the taboo racing emissions delete but it is a little con fusing to me.

Are you sure, Brian?

I bought my GST unmodified, and it never had a canister there where Eric's is. I started a thread about this years ago (although I can't find it now), and I thought the concensus was that that was my charcoal canister on the filler neck. Most of the other filler necks that I've seen were naked, and were on cars that had charcoal canisters somewhere under the hood.

Does Eric's filler neck look like the one in my picture?

Paul, I believe that's your fuel line/tank vent filter.

On a '98-'99, the charcoal canister should be here, as seen. (The large plastic container, not the green circled area.)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Are you sure, Brian?

I bought my GST unmodified, and it never had a canister there where Eric's is. I started a thread about this years ago (although I can't find it now), and I thought the concensus was that that was my charcoal canister on the filler neck. Most of the other filler necks that I've seen were naked, and were on cars that had charcoal canisters somewhere under the hood.

Does Eric's filler neck look like the one in my picture?

When Daren (daren p) did the swap to AWD he discovered the charcoal canister to be located inside the FWD gas tank. The pic shown in Brian's post is (from what I have read) accurate for a '98-'99 AWD. 95-97's have the same EVAP setup for the FWD and AWD. 98-99's have a different EVAP setup for FWD and AWD.

Good call Romeen! :applause:

What you have pictured Paul is the fuel vapor separator tank (MR271411) [PNC# 05625 in the 2nd picture below].

The '95-'96 FWD's had the charcoal canister under the battery.

The '97-'99 had the charcoal canister in the gas tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not unhook any of the solenoids on the fire wall because i read they will throw a code of i do.

You can take the lines off them and leave them plugged in and they won't throw a code. Just tuck them away out of sight.

Paul, I believe that's your fuel line/tank vent filter.

On a '98-'99, the charcoal canister should be here, as seen. (The large plastic container, not the green circled area.)

I bought my '99 GST completely stock and I've never had that box right there. Thats weird.

The fat vacuum line on the intake pipe goes to the canister and has been that way on every DSM I've seen so far. Can you get a picture of the "mess" under the battery?

But when the time comes i will be using ceddy mod as my choice of tuning and was wondering if this software can just delete the codes so i can get rid of the solenoids and all the access wire?

Yes all the emissions equipment and solenoids can be removed.
And the CELs can be disabled in the Periphery Bits.

Be careful with some of the solenoid connectors, some are male blade type, I believe. You don't want a screw or nut falling in there and shorting them out, as it will zap the ecu. I throw a couple wraps of electrical tape over them.

I wouldn't delete the solenoids harness, unless you are doing a complete "wire tuck". Up coming CeddyMods version has Window Switches for all the solenoids, and uses the BCS for Boost Control. They are useful if you ever want to add: Cyclone IM, Water Injection, Nitrous, Knock Buzzer, Shift Light, DodgeMod BOV controller, Secondary Fuel Pump, etc, etc. Also makes resale and inspection difficult in some states.

Thanks ceddy for answering that question because i will be utilizing your software for tunning. Btw ive never tunned anything in my life and i was wondering if you tune vehicles yourself for a fee obviously. I live in va and wouldnt think twice of hauling my neast to pa if i could get u to tune for me. PM for prices if you do. Thanks guys for all your help, i will be looking in the gas tanke tonight to see whats up as well as the filller neck jic. I guess i will leave the solenoids untouched due to the fact that they can be utilized for other ad ons. Im not going for a complete wire tuck, just want a somewhat clean engine bay, and no emissions test here in va so im good their.

When Daren (daren p) did the swap to AWD he discovered the charcoal canister to be located inside the FWD gas tank. The pic shown in Brian's post is (from what I have read) accurate for a '98-'99 AWD. 95-97's have the same EVAP setup for the FWD and AWD. 98-99's have a different EVAP setup for FWD and AWD.
What you have pictured Paul is the fuel vapor separator tank.

The '95-'96 FWD's had the charcoal canister under the battery.

The '97-'99 had the charcoal canister in the gas tank.
Good to know. Thanks for the info, guys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back