The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

CrankWalk Poll [merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHKS

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2002
east_providence_ri
im starting this forum like a poll. i want to know (and sure others too) how many of you tuners have actually gotten crank walk on there 2g and wanna hear all the people that havent. please just leave a reply if u have gotten it or not. thanx-greatly appreciated

just wanna see how common everyone makes it seem

Originally posted by ChrisHKS
k guys, so far thats 3 crank walks and 10 non-walkers the 2g's.

thats 23% CW and 77% NON-CW!!

Keep em comin guys! i know theres more 2gs out there!
Mine walked 2 times.. and I see a few others here I think your count is a little off.. Are you counting the 1800 I posted? :confused:

I will say this if your 95 has a build date earlier than june of 1995 you are probably 75-80% safe... If it is built after that, THEN your in trouble'd waters... All I say is Good luck! :thumb:

Thanks Cuc, I have been gathering info on this for about 3 years now...

Oh and anyone with a 1996-1999 DSM let's set up a time to meet, I'll put $100 down (Plus expenses) that says your car has excessive end play that is out of Mitsu spec.. That is if the motor is the stock motor and not been rebuilt (Not to be mean or anything, but I have yet to loose... and I have made quite a few bucks doing this exact thing! I am actually using the money I make with these wagers to help buy a 6 bolt :D )

I will say this if your 95 has a build date earlier than june of 1998 you are probably 75-80% safe... -can you clarify that??

also i was not posting the 1800 cuz i didnt have another list of the 2gs that didnt get CW. i also did not pit in the 93 cuz its not a 2g, nor did i put the unconformed.

My 1998 walked at 77,507. She walked so far she destroyed 3 of the cylinders. Mitsu installed a brand new 4g63 that is supposively cw free? Hope this does not happen again.:dsm:

Originally posted by ChrisHKS
I will say this if your 95 has a build date earlier than june of 1998 you are probably 75-80% safe... -can you clarify that??

also i was not posting the 1800 cuz i didnt have another list of the 2gs that didnt get CW. i also did not pit in the 93 cuz its not a 2g, nor did i put the unconformed.

Fixed ;) typeo Sorry for the confusion... You should really put this in a "POLL" if you just want to gather this type of info for this group only. it would make it alot simpler to read and understand.

1997 GST with about 50K. No CW (at least not out of spec). Measured crankshaft endplay a few months ago. Came in between 0.006 and 0.007. Still within spec - barely. Although the wear limit is 0.009X (I think).

Mine is an unusual case. I have a 96 GSX 5sp, 70,000, modded w/ ACT2600 and no walk. Had a 7 bolt built by Extreme(Sean himself), drove it 700 miles, and it walked....ABOUT .070"!!!! He fixed it(not for free, btw), put in a CM2500 and i have now driven the car almost 1000miles with no signs of walking.

95 Eclipse GSX, m/t, 95,000 miles, crankwalking as we speak and has been for about 20,000 miles. Replacing with a 6-bolt very shortly.

HiFiGSX, I would like to ask you something about crankwalking on 97 turbo cars (as I own one myself here in Argentina which was imported indepently by the previous owner). Is there a posibility that the huge amount of 97 CW cars would be due to the fact that there are much more cars of that year than any others? (and asuming that you have tested cars in this proportion).
Could you give the list (in percentages) of the cars (by year) from which you could make this statistics?

Thanks a lot.

For all:

As I explained on top, I would like to know if you think that I should check my car for CW as it is a 1997 GSX with 31k miles on it. The only thing that I can point (little problems) are 2: horrible but short sound when starting the car (first start only, cold engine) that looks like the bendix or something like that. And second, sometimes I feel a bit difficult to change gears (as if clutch wouldn´t be fully depressed). Could be that "ours" cars need to have the clutch depressed very "deeply" so that changing gears works fine? (I was used to European cars which weren´t like this).

Originally posted by pilotleston
Also would be very glad if someone could explain (or point an URL) in details how to measure CW as I live in a place where DSMs are very rare (Argentina), not to mention GSXs.
Click on the first page of this thread, my first post on this topic has all the information you asked for including stats and links. ;)

Good luck! If you have a 97 I will bet that it has Excessive endplay! Again this goes out to anyone that has a 2G later than a mid 1995... I have no problem placing this bet with confidence after all my research.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back