The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

• Update Your Password Today!

We have implemented tools to identify member accounts using insecure passwords and will be locking those accounts until their passwords are updated. Don't get locked out of your account - update your password today, and ensure your account has a valid email address on file. Read more here...
Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Crankwalk - 99 Eclipse

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
Ok guys, I know there are already 500+ posts on crankwalk but I could not get a strong answer to my situation. I have done my research on crackwalk and have not found one case of crankwalk on a 1999 Eclipse GST. Most of the posts I have looked at say that crankwalk doesn’t even happen to the 99's because they have better cranks/bearings. Well... I just purchased my 99 eclipse gst 4 days ago and found out about crankwalk the day after. My car has 61,500 miles and has been maintained very well through the years from its original owner. Yesterday, I’m 90% sure I started to notice the symptoms of crankwalk. As I depressed my clutch it got stuck in the middle then popped up automatically, I did this a few times and it continued to do that... after pumping it about 5 more times it stopped. I also noticed there is a light ticking noise coming from my timing belt area. What do you think?

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
Well... in that case, I guess I'm one of the first 99's to get crankwalk. How long can a new short block last me before getting crankwalk again?

96whgsx

Proven Member
Sep 28, 2004
San Francisco, California

cuttheduck

Proven Member
Mar 28, 2004
detroit, Michigan
Where did you buy the car from? Many people will sell their eclipse when they notice the crankwalk symptoms. If its only been 4 days there is a great chance the previous owner wanted to dump it on the unsuspecting. 99's get it more then they should just like the rest of the 95-99's.

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
I bought the car from autotrader.com from a Private seller around my area in West Palm Beach, FL. He says he had never experienced these symptoms before, when I test drove it, it felt fine. 3 days later I started feeling these symptoms while driving back home. I have to admit, I did drive pretty hard that day. Luckily, the car still has 5 months left on warranty... so if crankwalk is the case, warranty should cover a new short block. (crossing my fingers)

cuttheduck

Proven Member
Mar 28, 2004
detroit, Michigan
o0cad0o said:
I bought the car from autotrader.com from a Private seller around my area in West Palm Beach, FL. He says he had never experienced these symptoms before, when I test drove it, it felt fine. 3 days later I started feeling these symptoms while driving back home. I have to admit, I did drive pretty hard that day. Luckily, the car still has 5 months left on warranty... so if crankwalk is the case, warranty should cover a new short block. (crossing my fingers)

Sweet, if you have a warranty you can get the crank endplay specs checked to see if you do in fact have crankwalk. Just make sure you try and get a whole new block, as theres no "fixes".

pimpizzy

Proven Member
Nov 5, 2004
Niles, Illinois
AHHHH!! i have a 99 GST n i thought it was a bad chance it would happen to me since it was a 99.... but now that u have gotten it im getting alittle scared.... i dont know to much about crankwalk... but can it happen to an auto?

cuttheduck

Proven Member
Mar 28, 2004
detroit, Michigan
pimpizzy said:
AHHHH!! i have a 99 GST n i thought it was a bad chance it would happen to me since it was a 99.... but now that u have gotten it im getting alittle scared.... i dont know to much about crankwalk... but can it happen to an auto?

yes

pimpizzy

Proven Member
Nov 5, 2004
Niles, Illinois
i got an extended warrenty from the mitsu dealer wen i got it at 29,000 miles n i have 31,000... warrenty lasts another 3 years or up to about 60,000 miles.... but if i start to MOD it theyll void the warrenty most definitly rite??

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
Do you think it will hurt if I continue driving the car for the next 1 to 2 weeks before getting it checked?

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
Dont mod it too much if I were you... and if you do... keep all of your stock parts.

RamenPride

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2002
Virginia Beach, Virginia
#1, make sure it's crankwalk before jumping to conclusions. Bleed the clutch, it may just be air in the line. The restrictor in the slave cylinder makes the clutch pedal feel funny sometimes and inconsistent (at least from my experience).

Did this happen while sitting still or driving (the pedal getting stuck halfway)?

pimpizzy

Proven Member
Nov 5, 2004
Niles, Illinois
about a week after i got my car my dad took it for a spin to get it washed n when he was on his way home the pully came off the crankshaft n the belt came off.... (we took it to the dealer... fixed now) but was that a symptom of crankwalk?

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
The pedal getting stuck half way happened when I was driving about 20 - 30 mph, driving pretty strait.

cloud9

Probationary Member
Mar 18, 2005
La Puente, California
I too have a 99 gst and clutch was getting stuck all the way down or half way. After checking i found out that there was a leak and had to replace the clutch and slave cylinders......that fixed the problem, check it out.

leet

Proven Member
Jan 10, 2003
Atwater, California
pimpizzy said:
about a week after i got my car my dad took it for a spin to get it washed n when he was on his way home the pully came off the crankshaft n the belt came off.... (we took it to the dealer... fixed now) but was that a symptom of crankwalk?

No, it means that the elastomer in your crank pulley wore out and let the pulley split. It happens to a LOT of people.

As for the thread starter, bleed the clutch line, make sure you don't have a small instance of lifter tick. Plenty of people 'think' they have crankwalk, whereas a rather small percentage actually do.

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
cloud9 said:
I too have a 99 gst and clutch was getting stuck all the way down or half way. After checking i found out that there was a leak and had to replace the clutch and slave cylinders......that fixed the problem, check it out.

Yea that could be the problem, when I press the clutch it feels like rubber on glass... like when you squeegee the window of your car after washing it... the sound and feeling it makes.
Almost as if one of the clutch cylinders were dry on oil but I checked the oil reservoir and it was full. And about the ticking noise I hear... I spoke to a friend who works at mitsubishi and he says it could either be a sign of crankwalk or that it could be the fuel injectors... he says fuel injectors make ticking noises also.

vkalloo

Proven Member
Aug 28, 2004
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
i agree with dsm unknown. i have a 12XXXX and she runs nice. no crankwalk. i think a LOT of times it crankwalk but its the hyd lifters-freaking thing is annoying!

btw i have a ACT2100 clutch and no problem....KOW!!! :rolleyes:

She boosts great everyday! :thumb:

ps. wouldn't hurt to keep a 6bolt as a spare!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds