The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Crankwalk - 99 Eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0cad0o

Probationary Member
Apr 17, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida
Ok guys, I know there are already 500+ posts on crankwalk but I could not get a strong answer to my situation. I have done my research on crackwalk and have not found one case of crankwalk on a 1999 Eclipse GST. Most of the posts I have looked at say that crankwalk doesn’t even happen to the 99's because they have better cranks/bearings. Well... I just purchased my 99 eclipse gst 4 days ago and found out about crankwalk the day after. My car has 61,500 miles and has been maintained very well through the years from its original owner. Yesterday, I’m 90% sure I started to notice the symptoms of crankwalk. As I depressed my clutch it got stuck in the middle then popped up automatically, I did this a few times and it continued to do that... after pumping it about 5 more times it stopped. I also noticed there is a light ticking noise coming from my timing belt area. What do you think?

Crankwalk can happen in any car, not just a 7bolt 4g63.

Well... in that case, I guess I'm one of the first 99's to get crankwalk. How long can a new short block last me before getting crankwalk again?

Where did you buy the car from? Many people will sell their eclipse when they notice the crankwalk symptoms. If its only been 4 days there is a great chance the previous owner wanted to dump it on the unsuspecting. 99's get it more then they should just like the rest of the 95-99's.

I bought the car from autotrader.com from a Private seller around my area in West Palm Beach, FL. He says he had never experienced these symptoms before, when I test drove it, it felt fine. 3 days later I started feeling these symptoms while driving back home. I have to admit, I did drive pretty hard that day. Luckily, the car still has 5 months left on warranty... so if crankwalk is the case, warranty should cover a new short block. (crossing my fingers)

o0cad0o said:
I bought the car from autotrader.com from a Private seller around my area in West Palm Beach, FL. He says he had never experienced these symptoms before, when I test drove it, it felt fine. 3 days later I started feeling these symptoms while driving back home. I have to admit, I did drive pretty hard that day. Luckily, the car still has 5 months left on warranty... so if crankwalk is the case, warranty should cover a new short block. (crossing my fingers)

Sweet, if you have a warranty you can get the crank endplay specs checked to see if you do in fact have crankwalk. Just make sure you try and get a whole new block, as theres no "fixes".

AHHHH!! i have a 99 GST n i thought it was a bad chance it would happen to me since it was a 99.... but now that u have gotten it im getting alittle scared.... i dont know to much about crankwalk... but can it happen to an auto?

pimpizzy said:
AHHHH!! i have a 99 GST n i thought it was a bad chance it would happen to me since it was a 99.... but now that u have gotten it im getting alittle scared.... i dont know to much about crankwalk... but can it happen to an auto?

yes

i got an extended warrenty from the mitsu dealer wen i got it at 29,000 miles n i have 31,000... warrenty lasts another 3 years or up to about 60,000 miles.... but if i start to MOD it theyll void the warrenty most definitly rite??

Do you think it will hurt if I continue driving the car for the next 1 to 2 weeks before getting it checked?

Dont mod it too much if I were you... and if you do... keep all of your stock parts.

#1, make sure it's crankwalk before jumping to conclusions. Bleed the clutch, it may just be air in the line. The restrictor in the slave cylinder makes the clutch pedal feel funny sometimes and inconsistent (at least from my experience).

Did this happen while sitting still or driving (the pedal getting stuck halfway)?

about a week after i got my car my dad took it for a spin to get it washed n when he was on his way home the pully came off the crankshaft n the belt came off.... (we took it to the dealer... fixed now) but was that a symptom of crankwalk?

The pedal getting stuck half way happened when I was driving about 20 - 30 mph, driving pretty strait.

I too have a 99 gst and clutch was getting stuck all the way down or half way. After checking i found out that there was a leak and had to replace the clutch and slave cylinders......that fixed the problem, check it out.

pimpizzy said:
about a week after i got my car my dad took it for a spin to get it washed n when he was on his way home the pully came off the crankshaft n the belt came off.... (we took it to the dealer... fixed now) but was that a symptom of crankwalk?

No, it means that the elastomer in your crank pulley wore out and let the pulley split. It happens to a LOT of people.

As for the thread starter, bleed the clutch line, make sure you don't have a small instance of lifter tick. Plenty of people 'think' they have crankwalk, whereas a rather small percentage actually do.

cloud9 said:
I too have a 99 gst and clutch was getting stuck all the way down or half way. After checking i found out that there was a leak and had to replace the clutch and slave cylinders......that fixed the problem, check it out.

Yea that could be the problem, when I press the clutch it feels like rubber on glass... like when you squeegee the window of your car after washing it... the sound and feeling it makes.
Almost as if one of the clutch cylinders were dry on oil but I checked the oil reservoir and it was full. And about the ticking noise I hear... I spoke to a friend who works at mitsubishi and he says it could either be a sign of crankwalk or that it could be the fuel injectors... he says fuel injectors make ticking noises also.

i agree with dsm unknown. i have a 12XXXX and she runs nice. no crankwalk. i think a LOT of times it crankwalk but its the hyd lifters-freaking thing is annoying!

btw i have a ACT2100 clutch and no problem....KOW!!! :rolleyes:

She boosts great everyday! :thumb:

ps. wouldn't hurt to keep a 6bolt as a spare!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back